Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2018, 10:49 AM   #1

Sedona AZ Camping Suggestions

Hello,
Looking for Sedona area Camp Ground suggestions for Mid March.

We have a 27 DSRL White Hawk... Prefer State / Federal Locations to commercial. But open to all suggestions.

Thanks much!
Old 01-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #2

If you don't mind staying about 30 minutes from Sedona I'd recommend Dead Horse Ranch State Park. Beautiful there!

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #3

I second Dead Horse. Sedona is extremely crowded and getting through the traffic and round-abouts is not fun in a car, mush less a rig.

I am an hour south in Prescott. There are a lot of nice places near Sedona. Dead Horse is real nice, Zane Grey in Camp Verde is a nice spot. Williams has 3 or 4 RV places.

If you do stay in the Sedona area, I would surely avoid the Rancho Sedona RV Park. They have a list of rules that make catholic school seem lax.. one of them is during quiet hours, you have to be in your rig.. no sitting outside enjoying a book or a drink or the stars.

-"QUIET TIME is 10:00PM to 7:00AM, you must be INSIDE your rig so not to disturb your neighbors."

I have been at most of the sites between here and the Grand Canyon.. hit me back if you want some input.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbn View Post
...If you do stay in the Sedona area, I would surely avoid the Rancho Sedona RV Park. They have a list of rules that make catholic school seem lax.. one of them is during quiet hours, you have to be in your rig.. no sitting outside enjoying a book or a drink or the stars.

-"QUIET TIME is 10:00PM to 7:00AM, you must be INSIDE your rig so not to disturb your neighbors."...
Just pulled this off their site:

"Sewer hoses CANNOT lie on the ground, even just to dry, unless you are dumping. You must unhook and put your sewer hose away as soon as you have completed dumping. (Mandated by the Health Dept)".

Must be a place where the local gov't feels they have to control everything.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:50 PM   #5

All,

Thanks for the suggestions.. I'll look into the recommendations above!
Old 01-10-2018, 11:37 AM   #6

Hello,

Just FYI.. we decided on Dead Horse Ranch.. after looking at the numerous "private" options, I was left unimpressed with the restrictive policies that were referenced above, and appear to be quite common across the board.

Thanks again for the inputs!
Old 01-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #7

As long as you are in the area check out Prescott and White Spar State Park. Can reserve on line, check the weather Prescott is near 6000' can snow there!We have been camping in Prescott since the 1990s. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Prescott 17snow.jpeg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:41 AM   #8

The wife and I have being talking about going to AZ but just talking about now I would love to get some good sites to go to.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:03 AM   #9

DW and I have been vacationing in Arizona over twenty years now. We've seen a few not-so-nice private RV parks, but never a disappointing state or national one. We're going back again next month. Incredibly beautiful state, where the geography seems to change every fifty miles.

And thank you for your service, sir.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:33 AM   #10

Yes, grew up in AZ, spent another 30yrs in NM. AZ, UT, CO and NM all have amazing scenery, from low desert to spectacular canyons and you can even get above the timberline. From 80 deg in Phoenix to below freezing in the White Mountains in just a couple of hours driving. Hot and sunny to several feet of snow.

If you visit from the 'low country' be prepared to acclimate yourself if in the mountains. We lived at 6700ft outside of Albuquerque.

So many areas to camp. Like others have said, private CG's are hit and miss. There are some really nice tiny ones, eg, a place in Alpine, AZ had cabins for rent and about 10 RV spots. Really nice couple ran it until a few years ago, now a bit run down.

Winter season in many of the lower areas of AZ get flooded with snowbirds so make your plans accordingly. Sedona is a HUGE tourist spot. Watched it change from a nice quaint little town (1960's) to the mess it is today. FWIW, we used to tent camp along Oak Creek for many summers when I was a kid.

Cottonwood and Prescott are much nicer places to stay.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
Yes, grew up in AZ, spent another 30yrs in NM. AZ, UT, CO and NM all have amazing scenery, from low desert to spectacular canyons and you can even get above the timberline. From 80 deg in Phoenix to below freezing in the White Mountains in just a couple of hours driving. Hot and sunny to several feet of snow.

If you visit from the 'low country' be prepared to acclimate yourself if in the mountains. We lived at 6700ft outside of Albuquerque.

So many areas to camp. Like others have said, private CG's are hit and miss. There are some really nice tiny ones, eg, a place in Alpine, AZ had cabins for rent and about 10 RV spots. Really nice couple ran it until a few years ago, now a bit run down.

Winter season in many of the lower areas of AZ get flooded with snowbirds so make your plans accordingly. Sedona is a HUGE tourist spot. Watched it change from a nice quaint little town (1960's) to the mess it is today. FWIW, we used to tent camp along Oak Creek for many summers when I was a kid.

Cottonwood and Prescott are much nicer places to stay.
This is good to hear and I will put these two in my note because the wife and I was talking about going but just didn't know on good places to go, and we didn't want to go to some run down place.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote