Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2021, 10:48 AM   #1

See/Stay in Utah

So both the DD's hit me up last night about going to Utah. The only things I know to see there are Bryce and Canyon Rock. I was about to start searching blindly, but figured I'd ask the great folks here on what to see and where to stay. What else should I be seeing and any must do's or stays?

It's me and 3 girls, so full hookups are a must. I was planning on taking 16 days to do round trip. I can get there in a 2 day drive there & 2 on the return.

Thank you all in advance for any and all help/suggestions.

Dan
Old 01-14-2021, 11:07 AM   #2
CAG

You might want to do a search here put in Arizona, Utah, Grand Canyon as a start. We just finished a thread about that travel and I and a couple of others covered places to go and routes to take.

4 days of travel leaves you 12 days, not including travel between locations. You will be down to 10 days or less. Consider it is a long ways between locations in this part of the country. 6-8 hr travel days are not unusual. Your from Texas, you know the distances

If you do the circuit it would involve North Rim of the Canyon, travel to I-15, catch all of the NPs going north. Go to I-70 then to Green River, and go south catching all of them going back to Page via Monument Valley.

Found it: Here you go https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...all-81618.html

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:59 AM   #3

Well for National Park places you have Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP (Ruby's Inn cg to stay at), Capitol Reef NP, Canyon Lands NP which has 3 districts Island in the Sky, Needles and the Maze (you can probably drop the Maze unless you are into off roading and serious hiking) Arches NP, Dead Horse Point State Park, Monument Valley if it is back open by the time you go. Also Natural Bridges National Monument. There is also Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument which covers a huge area.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Thanks! I found that one from Lucky Duck and I also found a good one from Jack (jasum) that I've gone thru.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:49 PM   #5

If you are focusing on National Parks, finding a campground real close gets to be a challenge depending on what your interests are beyond sight-seeing. Moab is a good central point for Arches, Canyonlands and Dead-horse SP. Bryce and Zion are relatively close too and you will find that Zion is not so big-RV friendly. Our favorite is Capitol Reef, but the campground is not full service and always full with limited optional places close-by. .
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:46 PM   #6

If you can avoid I-15 from Ogden to Provo on a Saturday, you will be happy!

Lucky you will be approcahing from the South.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:12 PM   #7

Is there anything really worth going up to see in the Salt Lake City area? Just trying to see if I should maximize our time in Moab & over by Zion/Bryce area or plan on taking a few days further north.

Thank you...ya'll have been a tremendous help thus far! When I get a template done, I'll post it up.

Edit: And what the heck is Swig (some drink place)?? My youngest DD wants to go there for some reason??
Old 01-14-2021, 06:31 PM   #8
CAG

I would spend the time in the NPs. I did not find that much to visit in Salt Lake City.

Quote:
Monument Valley if it is back open by the time you go
I don't think Monument Valley is "closed". Highways are open, but some areas of the Navajo Nation are not open due to Covid. Check before you go but places like Canyon de chelly (pronounced shay for you Gringos). Antelope Canyon and some others but highways are open and that is all you need to see Monument Valley. It is the mountains you are there to view.

We did the west side going up to Yellowstone and Glacier and the east side coming back but we we not RVing and took most of a month.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Is there anything really worth going up to see in the Salt Lake City area?
We thought Salt Lake City itself was well worth the visit. There is a KOA right in town. The Bingham Copper mine is a marvel to see since it is an open mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Bingham_mine_5-10-03.jpg  
Old 01-14-2021, 07:04 PM   #10

We went to Arches National Park to stay for 2 nights and stayed for 5. Loved the beautiful scenery, hiking was hot but the humidity is only 2 to 5% so carry a huge amount of water. Literally, a 2 liter per person per hour of hiking. At night the temp drops as the sun sets and no AC needed. NO BUGS.

Dead Horse was an interesting but part of a day stop to us.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:45 PM   #11

I almost forgot...Any GREAT places to eat at while we are in the area?
Old 01-14-2021, 08:18 PM   #12

Dan, I think we are using the same travel itinerary! Yellowstone last year, Utah this year, LOL. Thanks to some great advice from CAG and others, I’ve planned out a trip that does a wide circle through Arizona and southern Utah. We’ll hit south and north rim of the GC, Bryce and Zion. We’re coming down from the north so we will spend some time traveling through the Sierras on Hwy 395. I almost added some time in Moab, but it was just too much more. Will have to hit that later. Good luck on your plans!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Dan, I think we are using the same travel itinerary! Yellowstone last year, Utah this year, LOL. Thanks to some great advice from CAG and others, I’ve planned out a trip that does a wide circle through Arizona and southern Utah. We’ll hit south and north rim of the GC, Bryce and Zion. We’re coming down from the north so we will spend some time traveling through the Sierras on Hwy 395. I almost added some time in Moab, but it as just too much more. Will have to hit that later. Good luck on your plans!
We did the south rim of the GC 2 summers ago...so I'm leaning towards 4 days near Bryce/Zion and 4 days near Moab for this trip as I plan so far.

One of these days ur family and mine will cross paths and we'll be able to have a beer together!
Old 01-14-2021, 09:14 PM   #14

Quote:
We did the south rim of the GC 2 summers ago...so I'm leaning towards 4 days near Bryce/Zion and 4 days near Moab for this trip as I plan so far.

One of these days ur family and mine will cross paths and we'll be able to have a beer together!
For sure! When are you planning for Utah? Everything I’ve heard is it’s crazy crowded, particularly in summer. Like Yellowstone, get up early!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
For sure! When are you planning for Utah? Everything I’ve heard is it’s crazy crowded, particularly in summer. Like Yellowstone, get up early!
I'm an early riser...so no problems there! We have a Hawaii cruise planned for June of this year, but with COVID still going on who knows what's going to happen with that! I was considering attempting to book for this summer and see what happens. That way we have a plan A & B. I'm willing to eat any cancelation fees with my DD's being 15 & 12...I figure I don't have too many summers with them anyhow!!
Old 01-14-2021, 10:10 PM   #16

so..... What time of the year are you planning? Moab has days over 109F in summer... the time of year you plan to travel should have some influence on your planning.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
so..... What time of the year are you planning? Moab has days over 109F in summer... the time of year you plan to travel should have some influence on your planning.

Probably early June.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Probably early June.
We got snowed on in late May down on the Green River some 50 miles south of Moab.

And it was far from crowded. We also went in September and there was no way to compete with the bus tours in Arches. Yikes no way will I go then again

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:08 PM   #19

One suggestion I have for Bryce is to stay at Kodachrome State park. It is a short drive to Bryce. Kodachrome is a beautiful park, quiet, and campground is A+.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:18 PM   #20

I think the DW & I just finished planning and booking the trip. I told you that I'd report back what we came up with:
Leave Dallas and stay the night in Albuquerque (overnight).
Travel to Ruby's Inn/RV in Bryce Canyon City. Stay for 3 nights.
Travel to Portal RV Resort in Moab. Stay for 4 nights.
Travel to Durango, CO. Stay for 3 nights at Alpine Rose.
Travel to Amarillo, TX for 1 night and home to Dallas.

I'm sure it won't be enough time, but the DW says by 12 days she thinks she'll want to be home.

Thank you for everyone's great advice!