Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2015, 10:18 PM   #1

Seeking route guidance (Southern California)

In a couple of weeks we are headed from the Bay Area (where we live) to the LA area to attend a week-long workshop. Travel days will be Sunday down and Saturday back; we won't be taking the slower and more scenic route ... the goal is to burn those ~400 miles in one day. We'll catch Highway-152 East to Interstate-5 but today were advised to avoid towing over the Grapevine (safety issues) and instead bypass near Buttonwillow to Highway-58 East and go through Tehachapi to either Highway-14 or Interstate-15 and then on in to San Dimas (East Shore RV Park). Recommendations or suggestions?

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:53 PM   #2

I just tried checking and I couldn't find anything for the Vine but don't listen to me, I'm sure you heard otherwise or you would never have posted. What App are you using? Maybe I need that one.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:18 PM   #3

I'm from Canada and I have heard the Grapevine can be a tough haul, but looking at your truck/trailer combo I think you could handle any big hills.. Just drive the speed limit if not a bit slower and follow any advisory signs... I've heard of people towing on it with no issues..
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:33 AM   #4

We towed over the grapevine when we were renting a trailer. Before we knew anything about calculating proper weights. We were way heavier then we should of been. We stayed in right lane with hazards on and just took it easy. If you have the right combo then I would go for it. Big rigs and trucks with trailers just stay to the right. Don't go out of your way and add extra time just to avoid. Can get nasty in bad weather though because of the elevation.
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #5

Am asking because previous jaunts have been by car only, but eons ago got snowed-in in Mojave and big rigs were blown-over on their sides. The person who cautioned us trailers horses and said it is a white-knuckle drive heavy with aggressive truckers and crazies in sports cars, with lots of blown tires littering the way. In watching a couple of UTube videos, it is a 45-60 minute drive with one of the steepest inclines (6.7% grade) and I didn't see any TT in the videos. DH always drives the rough legs, but sure would like a personal testimonial!

Old 06-05-2015, 07:31 AM   #6

Going up should be the easy ride it's coming down that long grade in some sections over 7%, that's the white knuckle ride.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:32 AM   #7

I still think you'd be fine with your truck.. Go slow going up, gear down and use your engine as a brake going down.. Never be in a hurry when towing. I have a smaller truck and have towed long steeper inclines than 6.7 on the BC west coast( the Coquihalla, such a dangerous stretch of road they made a tv show about it). Below is a grade chart..
The grapevine is doable, just depends on your comfort level.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #8

Hattie, we just drove the Tehachapi route a few days ago coming up from Palm Springs to points north. I have driven the grapevine (I-5) many, many times, but not with a travel trailer behind me.
If you go Highway 58 through Tehachapi, it's a very long up hill from Bakersfield. I am not sure what percentage the grade is, but it's still probably less than the 5. Once you get through Tehachapi, you will experience high winds. They will probably be behind you as you come down the hill into Mojave. But once in the open desert, it will likely be a strong crosswind coming from west to east. I used to live in Lancaster, it's always windy in that part of the desert. If you take the 58 all the way to the I-15, you will have to come down the Cajon grade just south of Victorville and it's usually windy through there as well. Once down the hill, you would head west on the I-210 to go back to San Dimas.
Myself, I would take the 58 to the 14 down towards LA. Once it merges with I-5, shortly thereafter, there will be an interchange for I-210. Take that east and it will take you right into San Dimas (where the 210 meets the 57).
But be advised, do not get on the 210 east after 2pm. If you do, you will more than likely be stuck in a perpetual parking lot. If driving the 210 after 2pm, I would advise going the i-15 route to avoid the LA freeway parking lots. Just my .02 cents. Have a safe trip.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:46 AM   #9

Desert RVers - thanks for your guidance, especially about avoiding the LA parking-lot! With our set-up (diesel truck w/exhaust brake & hill descent and ultra-lite TT), would you suggest that we stick the whole way with I-5s => 210e OR take I-5s => 58e => 14s => I-5s => I-210e??

For those of you 'new' to the Grapevine, here is a great article: http://articles.latimes.com/2000/jul/22/local/me-57283

Old 06-08-2015, 10:17 PM   #10

take the route you are most comfortable with. Personally, I've towed over the grapevine with no issues six times in the last twelve months. Last time I even let my wife drive the north bound route.

Take it slow, stay right and be confident in your equipment if it's appropriate and well maintained. Safe travels...
RollTideinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
San Dimas (East Shore RV Park). Recommendations or suggestions?
Did the trip (heading home today) and MUST give a 'shout out' for East Shore RV Park in San Dimas, CA [ http://www.eastshorervpark.com/home ] - beautiful! Yes, there are permanents, roads are narrow making navigation tight and evenings the skunks and raccoons are out-and-about BUT the view is fantastic, lots of green grass (and we're in a drought) around each campsite, the campers friendly (but not overly so), it accommodates all from tents to huge-mega Class-A rigs with toads, the small store is well-stocked, and it is close to everything in LA. BTW, with our new TV, the Grapevine was a cinch and the winds were mild.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:24 PM   #12

The Grapevine will not be a challenge for your TV/TT combination, you're biggest problem will be semi-trucks in the second lane sloooowly overtaking trucks in the slow lane. you'll either have to slow down or take your chances passing in the third lane, CHP will not like that, although I see lightly loaded big rigs doing it and I have done it myself once (got back over as soon as possible). Big rig in second lane was moving about 1/2 mph faster than the truck in the slow lane!
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote