Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2015, 10:29 PM   #1

Smoky Mountain Area campgrounds

Planning a family vacation next summer and looking for some possible campgrounds near the Smoky Mountains National Park. Drove through Tennessee, but never camped there. 2 boys one will be 8 the 2 when we go. Heard good things about KOA in Pigeon Forge and Anchor down, but not sure exactly where that one is in relation to everything. Any ideas?
Old 06-25-2015, 10:44 AM   #2

Hi! My family and I just spend a week in that area. We stayed at Anchor Down, about 20 minutes North of the Smokies. I would recommend to go there, hands down the best campground I've been to yet. I'm sure there are other nice ones there, but it is really that nice. The prices were very reasonable especially considering it's only a year old. Here is my thread with some pictures..
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...-tn-28323.html

I think i saw the KOA in Pigeon Forge you mentioned. If it is the one I saw, it looked very tight. Meaning it looked like people were packed in fairly close, on top of one another. The pool looked small and quite frankly, it looked a little dumpy. There may be more than one in the area, but I distinctly remember thinking that I was glad we weren't in there....

One more thing...I friend of mine heard we were going to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. The next thing he told me rang in my ears while we were there. He said "...bring yer wallet!..." Areas around there are a tourist trap....plenty to do.

Overall it was a great trip. We will do it again.
AirLift 1000 Suspension
MrScary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:51 AM   #3

It is the one we passed. It is in a busy area. Some of these reviews touch on that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pige...3b79a2bccde3,1
AirLift 1000 Suspension
Old 06-25-2015, 11:09 AM   #4

Yea, that place looks great. I assume there is lot to entertain the kids nearby if you're willing to drop the cash?
Old 06-25-2015, 11:18 AM   #5

Yes. Like I mentioned, it's not far from things to do. Dollywood and that whole area are only about a 20-25 minute drive. There's go-carts, mini-golf and things like that. Ripley's has a series of museums and attractions. The aquarium was very cool. My kids loved the shark tank. You walk through a glass tunnel and they swim all around. (pics below)

We also spent a lot of time just hanging out at the campground. As you can see from the pictures, there's no comparison to the KOA. If you are coming from Missouri, Anchor Down will not disappoint! The pool is huge and the kids loved the slide.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150609_150801595.jpg   IMG_20150609_154224233.jpg   IMG_20150609_154118582.jpg  
AirLift 1000 Suspension
Old 06-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #6

You sold me. Where is the aquarium?
Old 06-25-2015, 01:17 PM   #7

It's in Gatlinburg. It's apart of the Ripley's series of attractions. You can buy a bundle price to see multiple attractions to save some money. Some complain that they think the aquarium is small. We took our time and saw all the exhibits an thought that it was a good experience.

If you research the area (both PF and Gatlingburg) you will see there is plenty to do. Everywhere there are multiple brochures for everything.

That's one thing I liked about Anchor Down's location, it was far enough away from the tourist stuff to be a very relaxed atmosphere. Yet, you are minutes from lots of places to go.

We wanted to do the Dixie Stampede. It's a dinner and show kind of thing (associated with Dollywood) that is supposed to be awesome. We just decided we did plenty and hung around the campfire (or chimney on our site) instead.

Just down the road from ADown is the main road that runs through all of it. There's a nice, newer grocery store at the corner that was like a medium Kroger. We shopped our food there, normal prices, nothing inflated.

A-Down also rents golf carts by the day. If you are into that (we did a day), I'd reserve a couple days when you book. It seemed they would sell out quite a bit...heard an employee say something about getting more on hand.

Sorry if I am overloading you with info...just still fresh in my mind...it was just 2 weeks ago.
AirLift 1000 Suspension
Old 06-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #8

I appreciate it. The more info the better.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:23 PM   #9

The whole family loved it down there and are planning on going back next year. We haven't been to anchor down , but that will be our campground of choice after all the reviews I read about the place. The aquarium is well worth it so is the Dixi Stampede, the kids lived both. We also did the Titanic which was pretty cool. Excellent destination for family's next time we plan on doing the zip line tour and also the ATV tour of the mountain range.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:44 AM   #10

We stayed at Cove Mountain RV Resort a few years back and had a positive experience. It was April, so the pool wasn't open yet, but the point for us was to get out and visit the attactions, not stay at the RV park.

It's located about halfway between Pigeon Forge and Cades Cove (one of the popular mountain destinations). I recall it being pretty well maintained, had full hookups, cable and WiFi, but there wasn't a lot of other amenities except for the pool, a huge open field for the kids to play in and great views of the mountains. However, there are lots of things to do within a 15 minute drive (e.g., zip lining, wood carver, antiques, horseback riding) and more if you want to venture just a little further up into the mountains, Gatlinburg or the madness that is Pigeon Forge.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:39 PM   #11

We stayed at Adventure Bound and loved it.

Be sure to drive the Cades Cove loop, do some hiking and check out Old Smokys Moonshine. We thoroughly enjoyed the area.
DetroitFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:16 AM   #12

DetroitFD - All the years we have been visiting the Smoky Moutains have never thought about the Moonshine. This is a hugh big deal camping in the West Virginia high country.

What is the moonshine connection for the Smokys...

ADDED NOTE: AFTER DOING some research on GOOGLE I have found alot of good info on SMOKY MOONSHINE... Thanks for the tip

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:20 PM   #13

We loved staying at the KOA in Pigeon Forge. It is right next to a park and the main hub for the trolley system. It costs $10 to park at Dollywood, or you can take the trolley for 75 cents and they drop you off and pick you at the entrance. They also sell a $5 all day trolley pass and there are stops all over Pigeon Forge. When we go back, it will be to the KOA, which was a very nice well maintained campground plus the convenience of the trolleys.
Bird Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:22 PM   #14

River Plantation RV Park

We visited the area just a few weeks ago. River Plantation t is located in Sevierville, but is an easy drive to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Very clean and well kept. Two nice pools with a hot tub and a lazy river for the kids (and adults). Full hook-ups with reasonable rates.

River Plantation RV Resort - RVC Outdoor Destination
CMMR10stman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:56 PM   #15

A few years ago we stayed at Twin Creek RV Resort. Twin Creek RV Resort | RV Camping Tennessee | Recreational Vehicle Camping Tennessee | Gatlinburg RV Camping | Smoky Mountains Recreational Camping

It is by far, the cleanest, nicest campground we've ever stayed at! They have a 10/10/10 Good Sam rating and they earn it. Very friendly staff and there's a Gatlinburg Trollley pickup right across the road from the entrance. It will take you to several locations around Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge.

But it is pricey! $58/night for full hookups and WiFi. But we thought it was well worth it! If I were to return, I'd definitely stay there again!

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #16

You should also check out River Plantation in Sevierville, immediately off parkway,close to everything.
Curt Q20 Hitch. Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Air bags. Airlift Wireless One compressor.
cgbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:48 PM   #17

Has anyone been to Smokey Mtn premier RV resort? It looks like its a little bit away from all the hustle and bustle!!
Old 08-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #18

We stayed at up the creek and really liked it. it was off the beaten path but no too far
Old 08-19-2015, 01:05 PM   #19

We just spent a week this summer in the Smokies north of Pigeon Forge. I like to day trip through that area so we have been around Gatlinburg many times. I have not camped there in the travel trailer so I have no reviews for campgrounds.
In general I love the Smokies. I think the Great Smokey Mountain National Park is fantastic for sight seeing or picnicking.
Pigeon Forge, on the other hand, might be where I have to spend purgatory. The kids love the mini-golf and go carts, gem mining and the upside down house - but travelling through town can be TERRIBLE traffic. It's literally a tourist trap, with the traffic lights being timed to force you to stay there as long as possible. First time I drove through there was on my motorcycle in the pouring rain and I sat in traffic for over an hour trying to go 10 miles. Not a happy camper. Gatlinburg is similar, but it's a smaller and prettier area so I don't mind it as much. Gatlinburg is easier to park and walk around where PF requires your car.
In Gatlinburg there is a distillery called Sugar Mills that makes and incredible apple pie Moonshine. Highly recommend you get a jar while you are there.
As someone else suggested, Ripley's Aquarium in Gatlinburg is much cooler than I expected. We had a cub scout overnight trip there and got to sleep in the tubes through the shark tanks which was awesome.
Have fun!
2004 Ford Super Duty f-250, Bulletproofed 6.0 Powerstroke diesel with SCT chip
Husker Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:52 AM   #20

We just spend the weekend at Smokey Mountain premier RV park and it is very nice. Big sites that are not right on top of one another. Lots of large trees. The staff is friendly and helpful. They had my toad ready to unhook before I finished checking in and helped me into my spot. Definitely a good choice for our maiden voyage!!