Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-12-2017, 09:36 AM   #1

Spring Camping in IL and Neighboring States

We would like to take our Jayco 28BHBE out on her maiden voyage over Easter weekend. We can leave early Friday morning and could stay as long as Monday morning. I'm having a hard time finding campgrounds open during early April. Could anyone recommend a nice family-oriented campground for us? We live near Peoria, IL.
wed100105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:02 AM   #2

Timberline in Goodfield is open all year. Used to be a YOGI BEAR so it was family oriented.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #3

I believe many Illinois State Parks are open for camping all year, if the snow isn't a limiting factor. I just check Starved Rock State Park and it had 120 of 128 camping sites available from April 1-14.

However, water is likely NOT available at that time, I don't know about electricity, but I see no reason that would not be available.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #4

Most Illinois State Park campgrounds have been closed for over a year due to state politics (budget).
LabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #5

We like Timberline. It's a nice quiet campground and a short drive to the Children's Museum in Normal. We've been there a few times. Thanks for the suggestion.

Illinois DNR page is a JOKE compared to neighboring states. I've been searching this afternoon, and am having a hard time finding where to go.

I should have also added that we're willing to travel up to 4 hours - preferably south to capitalize on (usually) warmer weather.
wed100105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabMan View Post
Most Illinois State Park campgrounds have been closed for over a year due to state politics (budget).
Thanks for the update. I've been away from Illinois for many years (although I camped at a few Illinois state parks last fall).

I see that in all those years since I've moved out of state, Illinois politics hasn't changed one bit!
Old 01-12-2017, 08:58 PM   #7

It is pretty much an all day trip from Peoria, IL to Shipshewana, IN but are has lots of Amish crafts, quilting (spouse) and or course plant visits!
Also so other things to do there in area.
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:09 PM   #8

If you want to head up toward the Quad Cities, the KOA in Milan is open and on a nice little lake. Also the old Landuits Lake, now Sunset Lakes is always fun and family oriented. Both are open year round, call ahead for wet hookup. Enjoy, the Midwest is always fun!

Full timers but still active duty AF, anxiously awaiting retirement travels where I have been told everyday is a Saturday
Old 01-12-2017, 09:37 PM   #9

Oak Lake campground in Fair Oaks, IN

We've stayed at Oak Lake Family Campground one time and it was nice. It is near Fair Oaks, IN and also has the Fair Oaks Farm nearby. I could try to describe Fair Oaks Farm but you really have to experience it to understand.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:28 AM   #10

We spend a lot of time in southern IL. Rend lake has some of the nicest CG's in the state. And there are enough different lakes and CG's in the Shawnee forest to keep you busy for years. Also check out delbar- big river parks in Oquawka, Keithsberg. Also gladstone has a CG I think. Also a little private place right outside Kirkwood IL called Youngs lake( although i'm not sure if they open that early).
whitedogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #11

Quote:
I'm not sure where you camp but all of the state parks in the northern half of the state were open last summer and we already have a lot of reservations made for this year.

To the OP:
The reserveamerica web site handles reservations and has more info about the campgrounds than the state site does.
Good luck with with your weekend, we usually start about mid-may with the way weather runs around here.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by secal48 View Post
I'm not sure where you camp but all of the state parks in the northern half of the state were open last summer and we already have a lot of reservations made for this year.

To the OP:
The reserveamerica web site handles reservations and has more info about the campgrounds than the state site does.
Good luck with with your weekend, we usually start about mid-may with the way weather runs around here.
Last October, we camped at Moraine View near Bloomington in Central IL and in November at Giant City, near Carbondale in Southern IL. Both were open and well kept and run. We are always surprised that IL state parks do not charge an entry fee, even for out-of-state visitors, and their camping fees seem reasonable. Many states charge a daily entry fee or for more $ an annual pass and then charge extra if you have an out-of-state plate.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #13

Kankakee State Park, Des Plaines Conservation Area campgrounds in Il for a start have been closed for over a year. Kankakee River SP always filled up.
LabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:47 AM   #14

Illinois Campground Reviews - The Best of Illinois Camping - RV Park Reviews
Old 01-15-2017, 10:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Kankakee State Park, Des Plaines Conservation Area campgrounds in Il for a start have been closed for over a year. Kankakee River SP always filled up.
From the IL DNR Website for Kankakee SP.
"Potawatomi Campground, classified as Class A (showers and electricity), has 110 sites and two Rent-a-Cabins in a wooded setting, is closed for the 2016 season for an improvement project. Reservations are taken for Kankakee River Class A, BE, and C campgrounds."

Ref: https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/Parks/C...akeeRiver.aspx

The budget impass played into the closure, because the project was begun and now there isn't money to fund it through to the completion. So apparently rennovations were begun and now are in an incomplete state. Sad, really because it was a very popular camping site, and relatively close to large populations.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:04 PM   #16

Lake Shelbyville has a state park called Wolf Creek SP and Coon Creek COE campground is on the lake and also nice.
tomnjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:41 PM   #17

Jubilee college state park has some winter camping