Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 95
Spring Trip - MI to Virginia and back

So I'm thinking of hitting Hocking Hills State Park Laurelville, Ohio and Watoga State Park West Virginia on the way out to Virginia, staying at each for a few nights. I've had one or two people ask me about driving/pulling a camper in/though WV. I've never driven though WV, with or without a camper, anything I should know about or be worried about?

Any comments about either of the two campgrounds I'm thinking about staying at?

I'm thinking about staying Tar Hollow State Park Tar Laurelville, OH on the return trip.

I'll be pulling our X20E with a F150. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

- Justin
__________________

__________________
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Jayco Jayfeather 2012 X20E
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
jbwjbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
MrKong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WV
Posts: 337
Just don't ride your brakes and overheat them on the hills and you should be fine.
__________________

__________________
MrKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC Area
Posts: 370
I pulled our old pop-up to/through West Virginia a few times. Nice scenery. I second the comment about the brakes. It's not like driving through the corn fields of Indiana.
__________________

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central PA
Posts: 1,236
3X on riding the brakes. WV has some steep hills, but you should be fine with your truck. Have a good trip.
__________________
No I am NOT retired. I work full time.:D

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
CruizinKim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southwest OH
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwjbw View Post

Any comments about either of the two campgrounds I'm thinking about staying at?

I'm thinking about staying Tar Hollow State Park Tar Laurelville, OH on the return trip.

I'll be pulling our X20E with a F150. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

- Justin
We love Hocking Hills SP!! We will make another visit mid-April. It has easy access to Old Man's Cave trail through the non-electric sites. I would take the trail that makes gradual decline, not straight down! The shower houses are adequate and offer plenty of hot water. There are plenty of water spigots to fill up your FW tank. And, there is a Walmart 9 miles away should you forget anything!
You can let ME know about Tar Hollow SP! We're going for a long weekend in June and that is one of our top 3. It is close to our home as HHSP is.
__________________
Kim
2012 Jayflight 32bhds
CruizinKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinKim View Post
We love Hocking Hills SP!! We will make another visit mid-April. It has easy access to Old Man's Cave trail through the non-electric sites. I would take the trail that makes gradual decline, not straight down! The shower houses are adequate and offer plenty of hot water. There are plenty of water spigots to fill up your FW tank. And, there is a Walmart 9 miles away should you forget anything!
You can let ME know about Tar Hollow SP! We're going for a long weekend in June and that is one of our top 3. It is close to our home as HHSP is.
Will do.
__________________
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Jayco Jayfeather 2012 X20E
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
jbwjbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhdoc View Post
3X on riding the brakes. WV has some steep hills, but you should be fine with your truck. Have a good trip.
So just down shift and let the transmission do all the work?
__________________
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Jayco Jayfeather 2012 X20E
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
jbwjbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
 
Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 4,762
In Hocking Hills, I prefer Old Mans Cave CG. It's centrally located to everything you want to see.
I think Tar Hollow is way off the beaten path.
I've also enjoyed the KOA there. It's about 3 miles from Old Mans Cave.

JMHO

Doug
__________________

Southwest, Ohio
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2017 Jayco 24RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
CruizinKim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southwest OH
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
In Hocking Hills, I prefer Old Mans Cave CG. It's centrally located to everything you want to see.
I think Tar Hollow is way off the beaten path.
I've also enjoyed the KOA there. It's about 3 miles from Old Mans Cave.

JMHO

Doug
Doug, where is Old Man's Cave CG? Is that different from Hocking Hills SP? I'm always open for new places to try.
__________________
Kim
2012 Jayflight 32bhds
CruizinKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
 
Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinKim View Post
Doug, where is Old Man's Cave CG? Is that different from Hocking Hills SP? I'm always open for new places to try.
Hocking Hills SP and the CG At Old Mans Cave may be the same.
It's definitely not at Tar Hollows. It's right next door to Old Man's Cave.
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/2...llscampmap.pdf
There's some contact information on this CG map.

Best regards,
Doug
__________________

__________________

Southwest, Ohio
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2017 Jayco 24RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.