Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: White Bear Lake
Posts: 409
Spring trip to DC

Tried this in another forum, but not much response. Anyone with advice?

Looking to be in DC about the first week of April (hopefully for the Cherry trees, although we know that is a chancy item, at best). Pulling our 5th wheel.

We know Minn/Wisc and even Iowa, Illinois, etc. aren't really camping possibilities for a road trip that early. How far south would you advise we drive before turning left to the coast and DC? Looking for best opportunities for full hookup camping and good driving weather, especially over any mountainous terrain. Minimization of propane use and chance of plumbing freezing would be preferred.

Down to St. Louis and then I-64, etc. over - further south to Nashville, then I-40 and over, or as far south as Mississippi, over and back up?? Interesting layover suggestions along the way appreciated!
Time constraints are pretty loose, so if we have to drive further, we can just start earlier - but that backs us more in to March, which can be snow/blizzard season in Minn.!

Any suggestions for cool places to hang out for an additional week in April after we've done in D.C.? If there is a drive to get there, we don't mind. Would prefer a more "outdoorsy" place after the urban sightseeing of DC, but does not necessarily mean "roughing it".
__________________

__________________
2012 Ford F-150 Eco, SCrew, 4x4, MaxTow, HD Payload
SOB, used to be:Jayco 26.5 RLS
Flapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: "Where we Park It"
Posts: 1,070
We camped in DC last year in our Pinnacle for the Cherry Blossom Festival, it snowed the first week we were in DC then the week of the Festival is stopped snowing and warmed up some.
Turned out to be nice weather for the Festival, we had a great time.
__________________

__________________
Robert & Bale the "Traveling Dog"
SOB
2012 GMC 3500HD DRW
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:49 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
oldmanAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 7,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
... snip ... Anyone with advice?...
We lived in the DC area for about a year, but that was MANY years ago. I can't help you with the route, timing, or camping locations. But you asked for advice so here goes..
Pentagon Tour: You must make a reservation in advance. Reservations may be booked from [14] to [90] days in advance. Reservations will not be accepted for tour dates within [13] days or more than [90] days away. That's changed from our spur-of-the-moment tour on Sept 10, 2001.

There are other DC tours (FBI, Treasury, Mint, etc.) and I'm sure most/all will require reservations.

Take the 'Metro' into DC; don't drive through it and avoid the rush hours on the Beltway at all costs, even without your trailer. Research the Metro and you may find it will take you many of the places you want to see. It is clean & safe; not like what you see and hear about NY and Chicago. My wife and my MIL took the kids into DC on the Metro many times. There is a plethora of museums etc. on/near 'The Mall' and the Metro has a stop there.

If it is cold, usually the weather between DC and the ocean is milder than it is west of DC.

That's all I got. Go enjoy. And see your tax dollars at work!
__________________
Sherm & Terry w/rescues Eydie (min Schnauzer) Steve RIP (std Poodle)
2015 Jay Flight 27RLS (Camped: 102 nights '15, 90 nights '16, 70 nights '17 so far)
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD, Lariat, 4WD, CC, LB, SRW, auto., Camper pkg.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:47 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Upperco, Md.
Posts: 802
I would highly recommend staying at Cherry a Hill Park. It's a quiet oasis virtually in DC!! Also city buses stop at the park that can take you to the Metro. If you elect to drive to the metro, it's very easy to get to and from the park. We were there last June for 8 days. There was still lots of school trips there. Way too busy. We are going to try and go back late this fall. Rangers said that there is very little foot traffic in the late fall and you can see a lot more without standing in lines.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:04 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
oldmanAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 7,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
I would highly recommend staying at Cherry a Hill Park. It's a quiet oasis virtually in DC!! Also city buses stop at the park that can take you to the Metro. If you elect to drive to the metro, it's very easy to get to and from the park. We were there last June for 8 days. There was still lots of school trips there. Way too busy. We are going to try and go back late this fall. Rangers said that there is very little foot traffic in the late fall and you can see a lot more without standing in lines.
Thank you! We haven't been back there in years... since 2001 to be exact... and had no clue there was some place near DC to camp. We just might give it a shot early this fall.
__________________
Sherm & Terry w/rescues Eydie (min Schnauzer) Steve RIP (std Poodle)
2015 Jay Flight 27RLS (Camped: 102 nights '15, 90 nights '16, 70 nights '17 so far)
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD, Lariat, 4WD, CC, LB, SRW, auto., Camper pkg.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:35 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Rocket15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Enfield
Posts: 12
Second on Cherry Hill Park, you will not be disappointed!
__________________
2013 X17Z
2014 Ford Explorer Limited w/Tow Package
Weight Distributing Hitch
Rocket15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:13 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
We lived in the DC area for about a year, but that was MANY years ago. I can't help you with the route, timing, or camping locations. But you asked for advice so here goes..
Pentagon Tour: You must make a reservation in advance. Reservations may be booked from [14] to [90] days in advance. Reservations will not be accepted for tour dates within [13] days or more than [90] days away. That's changed from our spur-of-the-moment tour on Sept 10, 2001.

There are other DC tours (FBI, Treasury, Mint, etc.) and I'm sure most/all will require reservations.

Take the 'Metro' into DC; don't drive through it and avoid the rush hours on the Beltway at all costs, even without your trailer. Research the Metro and you may find it will take you many of the places you want to see. It is clean & safe; not like what you see and hear about NY and Chicago. My wife and my MIL took the kids into DC on the Metro many times. There is a plethora of museums etc. on/near 'The Mall' and the Metro has a stop there.

If it is cold, usually the weather between DC and the ocean is milder than it is west of DC.

That's all I got. Go enjoy. And see your tax dollars at work!
Yes.. I grew up in Reston which is not far from DC. DO NOT drive in DC durring the week unless you absolutly must. Take the metro in (will truly keep the stress level low). Sunday is not that bad to drive though and find paking but roads can be pretty tight in some spots. Make sure you do the Air & Space museum while your there and oh yea.. dont jump the White House fence
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:14 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
oldmanAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 7,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by exjay1 View Post
...snip...Sunday is not that bad to drive though and find paking but roads can be pretty tight in some spots. Make sure you do the Air & Space museum while your there and oh yea.. dont jump the White House fence
Yes to all that.

But, don't even touch the fence! Years ago my youngest son asked, "What is the fence made of?" as we walked by it. I rapped it with my knuckles to see (felt and sounded like aluminum). Very soon after that a guard with a dog appeared on the other side of the fence looking very closely at the shrubs along that area of the fence.
__________________

__________________
Sherm & Terry w/rescues Eydie (min Schnauzer) Steve RIP (std Poodle)
2015 Jay Flight 27RLS (Camped: 102 nights '15, 90 nights '16, 70 nights '17 so far)
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD, Lariat, 4WD, CC, LB, SRW, auto., Camper pkg.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.