Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2016, 07:43 PM   #1

State Parks in Western NY

Hello all, my wife and I are starting to plan our trips for next spring and would like to spend more time camping at state parks in western NY. We live about 2 hours from Buffalo in Ontario, but I have family in the Finger Lakes region and I'd like to get away from the increasingly crowded (but beautiful!) Ontario provincial parks.

I would like to restrict my search to state parks which have electric service sites available for our relatively large 28 BHBE (~32ft). Do any of you have experience with NY state parks in the western region? I am told that Letchworth State Park is a must-see, but I am really looking for "hidden jewels" which will not be completely packed with people. Proximity to Buffalo is a priority and being kid-friendly, which I assume all state parks are, is also a priority.

Any help, suggestions, experiences, comments, etc would be appreciated. My wife and I thank you in advance!
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:31 PM   #2

We use RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks when looking for places to stay.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:38 AM   #3

You might want to check into Watkins Glen state park and Cayuga Lake state park- both in the Finger Lakes region. Also, you have to make reservations on-line and there is a time frame for which you can do it. I think it is through Parks America but I'm not positive. I would suggest you book as early as you can as some of the state parks may not have sites big enough for your rig. Google New York State Parks and you will probably find what you need.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:00 AM   #4

We live about 1 hour east of Buffalo. You can try sampson state park on seneca lake. We stayed this past fall in our pop up for a week in the dry section without problem. I know they have Electric in other sites but not sure about full. Did see a lot of bigger rigs there. It was a decent park though. We have Darien Lake state park almost in our back yard. You can check them out also.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:58 PM   #5

We stayed in Alleghany state park. It was in October so I don't know how crowded it is in peak season. It is a huge park with a lot of walking/bike trails.
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:30 PM   #6

Lake Erie State Park is great!
Old 12-26-2016, 10:08 PM   #7

We have stayed at Four Mile Creek (north of Lewiston on Lake Ontario), Hamlin (on Lake Ontario - 30 mins to Rochester), Letchworth, and Fair Haven (on Lake Ontario - near Oswego). All had hydro sites available. We enjoy the New York State Parks and the price per night is approx. half of Ontario Prov Parks, even with exchange rate. The beer and gas is about half the price as well .

The only thing that we have noticed is that the shower houses are much older compared to the Ontario ones, but generally well kept - not a big deal if you are using the TT for showering.
Previous - 2011 Jay Series 1007 (traded); 2016 Jay Flight 26BH (traded)
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:38 AM   #8

I've camped at Letchworth State Park and it is very nice. The bath houses are a little older but the scenery is great. We are planning on going to Hamlin Beach State Park which is right on Lake Ontario in June this year. We have heard many great things about the park and have visited it for a day trip before. It is nice because it has beaches for the kids. Lakeside is also a nice park that I am hoping to go to early this year as well.
mdeisenroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:11 AM   #9

If you have never been to Lakeside, make sure you know if you want quiet or rowdy. The south site is quieter. Lots of traffic in north side
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote