Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2016, 11:52 AM   #1

Sticker Shock

Sticker shock: Well not for RVs, but for campgrounds. Went to the Minneapolis RV show and got several campground/resort brochures, what I found is camping at any of these was really expensive, bordering on Super 8 pricing. Normally I camp at State and County Parks, these have pretty reasonable rates, but getting harder to get site to accommodate our TT.
I have to say these private places provide many additional attractions that are really attractive to some (families with children for one), but we just want a campsite that has power, if available water in a location area we want to camp in...
The exception for us in Grand Marais City Campground, the rates here are still somewhat reasonable and provide excellent location along Lake Superior north shore and town of Grand Marais (the two real attractions for the campground).

Larry J
2015 264BHW SLX
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:59 AM   #2

I agree with you but I believe it is the old supply vs demand and demand is growing yearly. so many new to camping families with bigger rigs has strained the infrastructure of campgrounds and especially the state campgrounds. We have to book the sites we want in the state park we frequent 6 months in advance almost to the day if we want to get our site.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #3

I found the Municipal sites in Grand Marais were not that nice (very close together and not a lot of grass) but certainly the attraction is the close proximity to the town and Lake Superior. My most favourite place would be Lebanon Hills just outside of Minneapolis. Large grassy sites with full hook ups and only 10 minutes from Mall of America. And at $30 a night it was a real bargain considering some places in SD and MT we stayed at were charging us $75-80. Either way I find myself researching the heck out of places and using google earth to look at sites.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #4

if at all possible it is good to lay eyes on the site.. we booked a site last year at pokegon state park that said it would fit 50 foot and when we got there no way would it fit our 39 foot tt. luckily it was middle of week and we found a site we could fit in and changed
Old 02-14-2016, 09:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
if at all possible it is good to lay eyes on the site.. we booked a site last year at pokegon state park that said it would fit 50 foot and when we got there no way would it fit our 39 foot tt. luckily it was middle of week and we found a site we could fit in and changed
Understood, we went to Porcupine Mtns in the UP Michigan along Lake Superior last year and the site we requested was for our size camper (or bigger), but didn't come close to fitting, wound up on another site diagonal to fit and pointing the wrong way to hook TV up and drive out..
We can book many State Park sites 1 year in advance, but still best are gone when try.
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL1967 View Post
My most favourite place would be Lebanon Hills just outside of Minneapolis.
Love it there too. Stay there when visiting freinds in Farmington.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:59 AM   #7

Quote:
I agree with you but I believe it is the old supply vs demand and demand is growing yearly. so many new to camping families with bigger rigs has strained the infrastructure of campgrounds and especially the state campgrounds. We have to book the sites we want in the state park we frequent 6 months in advance almost to the day if we want to get our site.
Same here in Ontario. For stat holidays, 6 months in advance and you had better get up early and be fast on the computer.

I also hate when pop up trailers take the pull throughs or the extra large sites.
There should be some sort of camp ground courtesy so all can enjoy.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:54 AM   #8

Don't forget that besides all the amenities private campgrounds have, they also have to pay property taxes, income taxes and a multitude of other fees that public campgrounds do not pay. Plus, public campgrounds typically are not paying for land etc. Part of your taxes go to pay for the public campgrounds, if you use them or not.

Most private campgrounds are not getting rich, they make a decent living but, like any small business are not cash cows. Many of the costs of a campground go on year round even when the park is closed. Sewer fees at one campground we worked at came in at almost $50 a month PER SITE.. open or closed, and that was after a $300 a site tap in fee to begin with. This park was closed for 6 months a year, so, their actual monthly rate was $100 when open. Water was a whole other cost, as was cable TV etc.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Same here in Ontario. For stat holidays, 6 months in advance and you had better get up early and be fast on the computer.

I also hate when pop up trailers take the pull throughs or the extra large sites.
There should be some sort of camp ground courtesy so all can enjoy.
I somewhat agree but.

Don't blame the pop-up owners
If a campground charges a certain price for a campsite that has water and electric and only charges extra for sewer and cable then why shouldn't a pop-owner take a larger site. If I am limited to certain sites due to the size or type of RV I have then that should be stated in the campgrounds rules. But if I am allowed to choose the site I want and pay the price then I should be allowed any site I pick. And I would say most people would choose the largest site they can get.

JMHO
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #10

I have no problem with tents or pop-ups taking whatever sight they want. the big problem nowadays is that with the size change of campers to huge lol a lot of campgrounds just aren't equipped to handle many of them at one time so it puts a big question mark into where we can go and actually fit. Some of the parks just weren't designed for big rigs on every site and some weren't designed for big rigs at all
Old 02-14-2016, 03:48 PM   #11

Private CG's are profit motivated and will charge what ever they can get away with. Location, location, location means everything. You'll also likely pay an event premium when something big [like the Indy 500 or Ncaa final 4] and the sewer and property taxes don't skyrocket that week. We do not do private and franchise CG's that advertise all the adminities. We don't go camping to sit in a CG and expect it to be an amusement park. Only alternative to get into state parks is to plan in advance. Retirement helps so you can come and go when others are back to work and to school.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 04:17 PM   #12

Quote:
I have no problem with tents or pop-ups taking whatever sight they want. the big problem nowadays is that with the size change of campers to huge lol a lot of campgrounds just aren't equipped to handle many of them at one time so it puts a big question mark into where we can go and actually fit. Some of the parks just weren't designed for big rigs on every site and some weren't designed for big rigs at all
And not trimming trees on the main path up to 14 feet

I went to a camp ground near New Berlin NY and just by luck I stopped to look around, because it was dark out, and again by luck I looked up an saw the power wire resting on the first 3 feet of my roof.
Would have lost every thing on my roof.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:53 AM   #13

In Vegas I could stay cheaper at the Stratosphere than I could at the local KOA.. and it was a great room
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:31 AM   #14

I guess there are a couple of different issues. We don't mind paying higher prices for our camping but comparing it to hotel rooms is apple to oranges. Most hotels frown on having a fire pit... But if I am paying above average for a campground I expect two things. Firstly that I can get my rig to the site and secondly that I can get into the site and access the services that were advertised. One of the things we have noticed is that many campgrounds are modifying their sites to be more "big rig" friendly but are not adjusting the location of the water/sewer/electrical connections. This can be problematic. I also agree that many campgrounds forget that not only is length an issue but height as well. We damaged our fifth wheel last year on an small overhanging tree branch in a park that was advertised as friendly to large units. Yes my fault....

I am happy to pay premium dollars but want to be able to get to my site and get into my site without "white-knuckling" it all the way in.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:48 AM   #15

In California even the State Parks are charging premium rates at many CG. A beach front full hook-up but no frills or space is $65 night.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:47 PM   #16

Just booked 2 nites in a private CG about 3 miles [they say] from the Alamo. Were going to go to a State Park but closest is 40+ miles and wou d be a problem leaving the dogs all day to drive into the city. SP CG $26/nite plus entry fee and private CG $40 w/ Good Sams discount. Dogs stay in AC all day and we can stop back and walk them a couple times during the day. Private is not something I do as a general rule but sometimes its the right solution. Moving north of Austin on Friday [booked reservation this am on line] but have found out that Tx state parks routinely are full months in advance in Tx. Gave up on picking a specific park as we don't plan on sitting at the camp site much so just confirmed at on closest to my target area.
I don't need or want special amenities like pools and cable. Only expectation in a CG is a level site, E/W hookups, and clean showers.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote