Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2018, 04:45 PM   #1

Stratford, Ontario Campground Recommendations

I'm looking to travel from SW Michigan to see a play at the Avon Theater in Stratford, ON. I'm just beginning to research the campgrounds in the area for a 28' TT (2016 model X254). I'm looking for recommendations.

A couple drawbacks are...

- This is a maiden voyage for my TT that I bought new this year as a dealer leftover. I will probably do an overnight stay in the driveway but no sewer hookups to test. I'm coming from a pop-up.

- I never camped in Canada so I'm not sure what to expect at the border in either direction with a TT in tow (traveling through Sarnia/Bluewater Bridge).

- It's early in the season for some in the north but I'm looking to go the weekend of May 4th (two weeks away).

Tips and campground suggestions are welcome. A big advance thanks for any who chime in!

Jerry

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #2

Have you crossed the border before? Crucial info.
I have been crossing two to three times a year for many years so I am in the database. Last year was our first with a TT and there was no difference and no trailer inspection.
If you are new to crossing you may be scrutinized more closely. Just be honest and don't volunteer anything. Just answer the questions.
Its not too early.. Stratford is way south of me but I have never camped there to give you any camping advice.
Wildwood Conservation Area is the only campsite I found on Google. I have friends in the area and the ice storm last week did lots of damage.
https://www.wildwoodconservationarea.ca/blank-2

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:43 PM   #3

Thanks Kim Gass. It's been years (maybe 10) since last crossing into Canada at the Soo. I've been over prior to that as well. I retired from the Michigan State Police and worked with U.S. Customs in Port Huron, MI a few times along the way. You are right about questions. Just answer the question. :-).

I figured a passport, birth certificate and/or enhanced drivers license would be a start for documentation. I appreciate the possible inspection heads up. We'll see where this goes.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 04-19-2018, 06:19 PM   #4

I知 not sure how far you want to drive, but Pinery Provincial Park is a great campground with sandy beaches in Grand Bend. I知 just south of Sarnia and cross all the time. All I値l say is don稚 bring over much beer or liquor. Anything over a case and they値l charge you duty. Have fun in the Great White North.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:36 PM   #5

Canada is still covered in snow, might not be open in 2 weeks... the lake in my signature still has 20 inches of ice covering it.��
Old 04-19-2018, 07:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisbitch View Post
I知 not sure how far you want to drive, but Pinery Provincial Park is a great campground with sandy beaches in Grand Bend. I知 just south of Sarnia and cross all the time. All I値l say is don稚 bring over much beer or liquor. Anything over a case and they値l charge you duty. Have fun in the Great White North.
I'm not opposed to a drive from Grand Bend. I always wanted to see that area anyway. I lived in the St. Clair/Port Huron area from 1986-92 but never got over to the eastern shore of Lake Huron much. I don't drink alcohol so no duty worries here. It will be a rare weekend away from our three kids so exploring leisurely would be a welcome pleasure.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 04-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #7

Canada is not all covered in snow. My friends in Southern Ontario are paddling rivers and lakes just opened
You need a passport or passport card or enhanced drivers license
For each in your party. Including kids
10 years ago things were different
If you carry leave it at home. A trooper friend of mine found out the hard way that Canada is strict on firearms
The birth certificate really won’t do anymore

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 04-19-2018, 07:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Canada is not all covered in snow. My friends in Southern Ontario are paddling rivers and lakes just opened
You need a passport or passport card or enhanced drivers license
For each in your party. Including kids
10 years ago things were different
If you carry leave it at home. A trooper friend of mine found out the hard way that Canada is strict on firearms
The birth certificate really won稚 do anymore
I just renewed my license but opted not to go enhanced. I may have to reconsider. I figured not all of Canada should be covered if the Detroit area isn't with a portion of Windsor being south of Detroit (fun fact that some didn't know). You're right on the carry law. I used to but would lock it in the U.S. Customs office safe with my Customs buddies taking care of me. The problem now is that we're all retired so no more connections. My partner and I would even sneak across the bridge on midnights to visit Canadian Customs guys on slow nights in our squad car, full uniform, guns, rifles and all. Times have changed though.

If I can't put this together in the next few days, I may just have to hotel it this time. That would give me time to get a Canadian trip in order without being rushed on the next try. Beside, the production I'm trying to see is nearly full so the clock is ticking... On top of that, I'm trying to keep the destination and activities a secret from my wife. All I told her was, "Were going to Canada about a six hour drive away from here (SW MI)." Stay tuned.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 04-20-2018, 04:31 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Take her to the Pinery ...... u'll love it. Riverside 1 is open, all pull thru sites, so being the first outing with the larger trailer, u'll appreciate the sites the Pinery offers. Unlike your Michigan State Parks, Ontario Parks don't cram you in, they give you some space/privacy. Camping there, you can truly enjoy what the park has to offer, without the summer time crowds. Grab a case of beer at the duty free before heading over if you are a beer drinker, the Canadian $30 and up price on a case of beer might scare the begeebees out of you. Not sure about entering into canada, but s going into the US, the biggest issue is meats, fruits , veggies, so better off buying the fresh groceries over here, again, be aware of sticker shock, but hey, 30 plus cents on your dollar offsets. Grand Bend, the town about 7 minutes away has a nice grocery store, and a strip with lots of small shops heading to the beach, but sure most are still closed for season. Enjoy breathtaking sunsets at the Pinery ......i guarantee u'll come back again. As for snow, none here in Windsor, and looks like temps are finally going to start climbing, so spring is arriving just in time!
On a different not ...... last evening (Apr 19), the Windsor - Detroit area experienced an earthquake around 8pm, the center of it in Amherstburg, a small town just outside of Windsor, although it only registered 3.4 on the scale, it shook our houses. I texted my boss as thats where i work, in Aburg, advised him maybe we should close today, never know, could be structural damage ...... he didn't buy into it
Old 04-20-2018, 05:42 AM   #10

I cross at Sarnia a few times a year. I have done so with my truck and trailer before. It's never been a big deal. Needless to say, leave your guns at home, and declare any alcohol or tobacco (better yet don't bring any).

The tolls are rather expensive with a trailer, I think I remember paying 12 bucks?

While you're in Stratford area, if you need anything trailer related, you can head to Stratford RV in Mitchell. They are a Jayco dealer and are very helpful. Hiemstra RV in London is also excellent.

I agree that the Pinery is a beautiful place. Point Farms in Goderich is also OK.

It's still frickin' freezing cold here with snow on the ground - hopefully warms up by the time you come. Also be ready for sickening gas prices thanks to the Liberal Government who are literally killing this province and country.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:21 AM   #11

That sticky passport. Technically Canada doesn't require it , but the US does for reentry.

Your drivers license will suffice to go into Canada but the US won't want you back without a passport
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...he.Border.html

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 05-02-2018, 07:00 PM   #12

Well, the surprise Ontario trip was a bust BUT my wife liked the idea... at a later time though. She didn't want the maiden voyage with our new camper to be over 300 miles away. I was OK with it since I would be the one working on any problems that would arise. Still, she appreciated the idea but settled for a specialty restaurant 50 miles away (while the kids are at the grandparents this weekend). It's a great place that we went to once before where you choose the steak cut you want from a butcher store window setting and then grill it yourself on a large indoor grill with a large variety of seasonings to choose from (https://grillhouse.net/grillhouse/). Thanks for the help and recommendations.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254