Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-06-2015, 07:29 PM   #1

Summer '16 - St Louis / Shelbyville, IN / Nashville

Planning a 2 week trip this coming summer heading north to St Louis, over to Shelbyville, IN to visit friends then heading back south through Louisville, Nashville and Alabama back into Florida. Would like to go to Jayco plant while in Indiana but to far out of the way for this trip.

Because of work schedule and having enough time for the trip we will not be able to leave until July 1, this not the optimal time to go with July 4th being in the trip time but want to make the best of it with us being in St Louis on the 4th. That weekend will be booked up fast if not already so need to book a spot ASAP, figuring we will arrive on July 3rd.

We are "State / National Park" campers, not big on the packed in Private CG's but know on this trip we will have to be flexible.

I have begun searching CG's for the St Louis area, so far does not seem to be any State Parks with Camping that are close though I have not searched in Illinois across the Mississippi. We have been to St Louis once before and want to return to take our 10 yr old to see the Arch.

Can anyone provide input on Campgrounds, either State or Private, local to the areas we will be going through?

Any help or advice would be appreciated... Thank You
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:46 PM   #2

Has anyone camped at Edmund Babler State Park in St. Louis?
Old 01-05-2016, 06:35 AM   #3

I'm not sure if you've checked, but they just closed the Arch for remodeling. You can still walk around a portion of the arch but they have closed the inside. They are doing a massive project to the arch grounds and remolding the museum inside. As far as camping nearby. I have not been to Babler, but I've heard it's a nice park. Illinois doesn't have much to offer unless you go to Marquette Park on the River Road, but that would be quite a drive to downtown St. Louis. There is a Jellystone in Eureka that is about a 30 minute drive from downtown. It's OK but pricey and a little tight.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:25 PM   #4

Thanks for the info on the Arch… I checked their Website and it will be closed through March so hopefully they will have everything back open by July but we will be sure to check before we go.

We did find out that the friends we are visiting in Shelbyville, IN have stayed at Edmund Babler SP and said it was nice as well.

I appreciate the info...
Old 01-10-2016, 09:03 PM   #5

Close into Nashville the most picturesque and roomy campgrounds are the Corp of Engineer ones. Plus, there really are not any State Parks close enough to Nashville without really going out of your way.

The catch with the Corp of Engineer campgrounds is that the sites usually have electric and water but no sewer. They usually just have a dump to use upon entering / leaving.

However, if that works for you, then I would recommend Seven Points Campground in Hermitage, TN. That is one of my favorites in this area. You cannot get much closer to the city without going to something private which like you... we tend not to prefer.

If you don't mind going a bit east of Nashville, Bledsoe Creek State Park is very nice and you can find sites with full hookups there. You're about 37 miles to downtown Nashville from Bledsoe. If you were to go to Seven Points, you would be about 16 miles to downtown Nashville. Both choices are generally east of Nashville.

Seven Points borders Percy Priest Lake... the sites are pretty large with some being downright huge. Many sites have a direct view or even direct access to the water.

Bledsoe Creek borders a tributary of the Cumberland River. Like Seven Points, they have many sites with a view or direct access to the water. The sites are not quite as large. If you have a large rig you will be better off with a back-in site. They have some pull throughs but some are very tight and a large rig cannot make the curve and clear the trees. I've had that happen to me there at one time. At Bledsoe, you are almost 100% certain to see deer, lots of deer, all around the park. They are not all that afraid of people anymore though you can't exactly go right up to them. Nice if you want to see some wildlife.

Hope this is helpful.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:57 PM   #6

newbold1...

That is exactly what I was looking for, Seven Points looks like the spot. Thank You for the tip.

We have changed the route slightly and will go to Indiana first for the 4th and stay with friends then head over to St Louis then down to Nashville and skip Louisville so we will have more time to spend in Nashville.

I have been to Nashville once as a teenager probably back in the late '80's. Although I am sure the DW will have an intenerary are there are any neat historical or old industrial manufacturing sites to see?
Old 01-13-2016, 09:06 AM   #7

Babler is a nice state park. It will book fast though. Mostly wooded good showers and safe area. It is a way from all the traffic and noise.
2013 F150 Super Crew 3.5, 3:31
2004 f150 Super Crew 5.4, 3:73 traded
silverark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:48 PM   #8

There are quite a few places to visit. There are many in the heart of downtown Nashville but several that are just outside the city center. Some that come to mind are:

Ryman Auditorium (original Grand Ole Opry)
Country Music Hall of Fame
Opryland Hotel Atrium Gardens
The Hermitage
Belle Meade Plantation
Cheekwood Botanical Gardens
Centennial Park & Full Scale Parthenon Replica
Frist Center for Visual Arts
Belmont Mansion
Goo Goo Cluster Store (downtown)
Tennessee Agricultural Museum
Percy Warner Park (beautiful park with biking/walking trails spanning 2,684 acres)

Olive & Sinclair Chocolate Company in Nashville offers tours of their factory. They only do this on Saturday from 10am-5pm and you have to reserve in advance. I am not sure of much else by way of any sort of manufacturing to go see.

A trip to downtown is probably compulsory but aside from that the locals tend to head to other areas not quite in the heart of downtown. For example, The Gulch and 21st Avenue South (Hillsboro Village) have a number of good places to eat and is where most of the locals go vs. the crowded touristy area of downtown.

Eating ---

Paradise Park Trailer Resort (not what it sounds like... excellent burgers)
The Southern (steak and seafood)
Hattie B's (hot chicken)
Loveless Cafe
Monell's (meat & three / family style) in Germantown
Magliano's Little Italy
ACME Feed & Seed
Jack's BBQ
Peg Leg Porker (BBQ)

Also, if you end up here at the time, Nashville does a huge 4th of July fireworks. For 2015, Nashville supposedly outdid New York City to achieve the largest show in the country.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #9

Great local info... I appreciate it. Thanks !