Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2014, 09:46 AM   #1

Swallow Falls State Park, Maryland

I am interested in receiving feedback from anyone that has stayed at the campground in Swallow Falls State Park, Oakland MD (near Deep Creek Lake). It appears to have many beautiful waterfalls and trails. I see nothing regarding any swimming beaches. It's a little odd as they do have 2 Full Hookup sites at this park.
Honda EU2000i Generator
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:12 PM   #2

If you plan to camp in MD and are over 62 get their senior pass. It costs $10 each, but the pass is valid for half price camping, Sunday through Thursday (excluding holidays), but cannot be used for rentals or other facility use service charges that may apply.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
Site Team

I've never been to Swallow Falls, but don't be surprised if you can never book the either of the two FHU sites as sometimes, they're permanently reserved for the campground host(s) and/or workcamper(s).

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
I've never been to Swallow Falls, but don't be surprised if you can never book the either of the two FHU sites as sometimes, they're permanently reserved for the campground host(s) and/or workcamper(s).
I actually was able to book one of the two full hookup sites for 4 nights in August. This state park does not have a beach, however, there is another state park 4 miles away that we'll have access to for swimming at their beach.
Honda EU2000i Generator
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
Site Team

That's great that an FHU site was available. When we go to Geneva SP in OH, they have just 4 FHU in the campground, but only 3 are available because one's occupied by the campground host. Your chances of making a reservation after Memorial Day for one of the remaining FHU sites is slim to none; especially for a weekend.

My parents would tell this story about the time they made a day trip to Swallow Falls to see the waterfalls. However, there was nothing but a trickle of water flowing over the falls due to an extended dry spell. Let's hope there's been normal weather when you make your visit.

If you've never been there, you might want to try Ohiopyle SP, located about 35-40 north of Swallow Falls in PA. The Youghiogheny River flows through the park with its waterfalls and rapids. The Great Allegheny Passage bike trail is popular and has impressive views of the river gorge from its bridges. Ohiopyle is the third largest state park in PA.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote