Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #1

Top Sail SP (FL) Customer Service

I just wanted to share our latest outing experience. We were supposed to be in a particular site in Top Sail SP (Santa Rosa Beach, FL) that we reserved about 10 months in advance. The previous occupants were "broke down" in our site upon our arrival...so we had to make due with another spot. The staff asked us to give them a day to get a mechanic out to fix their class C. After waiting 48 hours, I had enough and went to talk to the manager. Just FYI, in FL they cannot have a vehicle/rv towed, as they are not considered law enforcement. I was getting angry, as every day I passed by "our" reserved site the occupants were coming back from the beach, grilling, drinking, hadn't packed up their belongings. Basically, it didn't look like they were doing all they could do to vacate the site! I guess what made me so mad is that (if it were me) I would have done everything within my power to move my unit, so as to not inconvenience someone else. So after 48hrs, the manager (without asking) offered my a 75% refund and told me that I could stay in my current site for the duration of my stay! Good customer service is still in existence!!

BTW, they finally left 5 days later and I never saw a mechanic show up to fix their unit! Trust me, I was checking every day!!
Old 08-10-2016, 05:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Sounds like they had a break down of "convenience''.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:55 PM   #3
Site Team

I would be disappointed too. I sure hope the cg folks have some way to verify that type story.

It sounds fishy.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:03 PM   #4

It was definitely a breakdown of "convenience" (as cabman said)! They told the staff that the unit couldn't be towed to another site because the transmission was "stuck" in reverse. The staff knew the guy was full of s*!t, but there was nothing they could do because they aren't law enforcement and don't have the powers that law enforcement have. All I know is that we still had a nice site and my bill went from close to $500 down to about $120. I considered it a win on my part (with very minimum input)!
Old 08-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #5
Site Team

What goes around comes around. That little episode will come back to visit them in some unpredictable way.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:48 PM   #6

Always carry a tow strap....

I would have been very tempted to help them move their class C, especially while they were at the beach.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
Always carry a tow strap....

I would have been very tempted to help them move their class C, especially while they were at the beach.
Don't think that I didn't offer that up to the park staff. I even offered...just to be a nice guy...to go under his rig and unhook the linkage of the "broken transmission" and tow him off MY site.

My offer was declined!!
Old 08-11-2016, 03:42 PM   #8

If that happened at a Michigan State Park it would have been removed day one. Last year at check in a woman was talking to one of the rangers about her problem, she was to check out that day but her boyfriend who was a semi driver got delayed and could not make it back on checkout day to move their 5th wheel. He told her find someone to move it off the property by 3pm or the sheriff would be called and it will be towed. Not sure what happened , I felt bad for her since she said she had no idea how to hook it up or drive the rig.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:37 PM   #9
Site Team

I'm not familiar with Florida law, but I have seen a similar story in other parks/ other states where the rig was disabled and the park owners saw that the rig was moved. Now your problem was they claimed the mh was not moveable. There are towing companies that handle those problems everyday!

I would have got some law enforcement involved after having a conversation with the occupants of my site.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote