Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2023, 05:45 AM   #1

Vermont / New Hampshire

We're spending three weeks in Maine down east in June/July. We'd like to hit a mountain RV park from there. We're thinking White Mountains or Green Mountains but open to other suggestions. We don't need hookups, just room for a 25' TT.

In our minds we're picturing mountain views, perhaps a lake or pond. Hiking trails. Probably three nights at one site then three more at another with an opportunity to dump in between.

We've been checking the usual on line resources but a personal recommendation from folks here always seals the deal.

Thank you.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 06:42 AM   #2

Cathedral Pines Eustis Maine.. On Flagstaff Lake with access and views of the Bigelow Range. Close by ( between Stratton and Rangeley )is Quill Hill.. drive to the top 360 degree mountain views.
https://visitmaine.com/places-to-go/...ustis-stratton

Then use Rt 16 to go to Rangeley.. Dont miss the view over Mooselookmeguntic Lake

https://visitmaine.com/things-to-do/...height-of-land

onto the White Mountains.. Not as many lakes but thousands of miles of hiking trails. Bring winter clothing even in summer if you want to go up Mt Washington whether it be by cog railway, van or u drive truck.

Tons of campgrounds in the Whites including the many National Forest Campgrounds( no hookups)
https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/whi...74405&actid=29''

None have views especially though some are on rivers. Those along the Kancamaugus Highway are IMO the nicest with the Swift River there. However Franconia Notch is good too

For views and proximity to Mt Washington https://www.jeffersoncampground.com/

Littleton is a nice small town with interesting shops.

There are a lot more campgrounds in the Whites but I really haven't paid a lot of attention to them as I live just outside the WMNF.

Vermont is bucolic and dairy country but completely different.. Farmy.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 02:22 PM   #3

Thank you.
Old 04-24-2023, 03:45 PM   #4

Just a start ;lots of options available. It might help to narrow things down by what sorts of hiking you want to do..Day hikes usually go from 6-10 miles and trails by habit go straight up.. For the best bang Mt Willard in Crawford Notch.. just shy of 3000 feet with a vertical of 1000 feet..Wonderful views. Arethusa Falls,, 3,2 mi round trip 1100 feet vertical.

Tuckerman Ravine Hermit Lake 2000 vertical feet in 2 miles. I also recommend AlpineGarden on the side of Mt Washington. Hike New England - Alpine Garden on Mt. Washington

Here is a list of WMNF hikes in a larger context of all New England.. You want Central/East NH, Trails are typically very rocky and all rock above 4000 feet( treeline)
Mt Washington is referred to as the Rockpile.. It literally is. You need good hiking shoes.for all hikes

and adhere to this list. https://hikesafe.com/gear-list/essentials
Many folks from the West underestimate the difficulty of the Whites because they are relatively low. However it can snow anytime of the year and high winds are normal. Fatalities in the summer are unfortunately still common; usually from hypothermia when it rains and is just above freezing( yes July)

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 04-25-2023, 05:53 AM   #5

Thank you. It's a great reminder. We've hiked from Texas mountains and coast to Maine to Oregon and every environment has it's unique challenges and risks.

We're considering adding our backpacking gear for this trip and doing a couple single night trips. Having a safe place to park the TT is always a concern.

We have Bar Harbor reserved for a few days then left ten days open for Schoodic (hopefully getting those dates reserved this week) then over to Campobello for a few days.

I think Mystic and perhaps Camden will be stops on the way north from Texas. Acadia having a two month window has been stressful and we have flexible schedules. But with three locations planned it's coordinating them all with rolling campsite openings.
Old 04-25-2023, 07:12 AM   #6

The campgrounds are well patrolled and I have not heard of thievery should you take an overnight backpacking trip..

Because you have so many options I recommend getting a trail guide while you are at home
like this one..Starter not comprehensive https://www.amazon.com/Hiking-New-Ha...rmat=4&depth=1
Huts for overnight camping are available but pricey. Tenting is allowed below treeline but must be more than 200 feet from the trail or water..There are limited tentsites.

Schoodic is a gorgeous campground.. Bike trails there too .. And hiking in the Donnell Pond area which is actually better than Acadia. https://www.maine.gov/dacf/parksearc...ellpondmap.pdf

Campobelllo is a really small island.. We day trip there camping at Cobscook Bay State Park in Maine which is never full.

Camden is a nice town and part of the triad of three nice towns..Rockland Rockport and Camden..Parking is a hassle for many tourists.as they don't look down side streeets where parking is ample. Don't even try for the dock.. Mechanic Street is ablock away and has ample parking The OwlsHead lighthouse is very close as is the Transportation Museum.

You can try for Camden Hills SP..no hookups. Got time? Take the Laura B out of Port Clyde. 12 miles out to sea is Monhegan Island..Bring your walking shoes..Only vehicles out there on its dirt roads are work trucks. You can go for the day. Monhegan Boat Line.

Guaranteed you will have great memories of Monhegan over Bar Harbor( I detest that place in the summer.)

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 04-25-2023, 05:14 PM   #7

Six sites available at Schoodic today. On the second they were available my wife clicked and lost. We found an electric only in the A loop. Disappointing to say the least.

Trail book is in order. We added a few things to our list.

This is our fourth trip to Bar Harbor. We have a couple highlights we want to return to but it's become a side trip more than a destination.

Thank you
Old 04-25-2023, 05:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Six sites available at Schoodic today. On the second they were available my wife clicked and lost. We found an electric only in the A loop. Disappointing to say the least.

Trail book is in order. We added a few things to our list.

This is our fourth trip to Bar Harbor. We have a couple highlights we want to return to but it's become a side trip more than a destination.

Thank you
ah... you got the better side. B loop is pretty standard RV wide open fare but not ugly.

A is WAY better.The sites are so beautiful and well spaced. Fill your water tank at B loop.

We have camped at Schoodic six times. No way do I want B loop.. I would rather go to Sunset Point in Harrington if that were the only option.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 04-25-2023, 06:35 PM   #9

You just made it day.
Old 04-26-2023, 04:31 PM   #10

hello again from your unofficial travel consultant.

Would you like restaurant suggestions?

Schoodic Woods is just outside WInter Harbor.. That place buttons up early.. Chases is OK JM Gerrish good Breakfast. Everything else closes at 3!

For dinner but for some reason no lobster the Pickled Wrinkle in Birch Harbor which is very close by

You can buy lobster at the pound in Corea which has outside seating.

While on Mount Desert Island flee BH.. go to Bass Harbor and dine waterfront at Thurstons Lobster Pound or Seafood Ketch. Both are on the water of a working fishing town.

I forgot Camden Hills State Park has some wonderful hiking trails with an ocean view.

https://www.maine.gov/dacf/parksearc...HillsGuide.pdf

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 04-26-2023, 06:29 PM   #11

Thurston's is 50% of why were spending any time in the BH area. Jordan Pond and a couple other stops and we're out of there.
Old 05-13-2023, 04:16 PM   #12

I am an out sourced tourist bus driver for Acadia National Park. If you are looking for rustic Blackwoods is your go to for nothing but electric and water I think and nothing else. As for me? I would never camp there.Why? Too rustic too primitive for me. I love my creature comforts. It is almost like boondocking. But those who have tents and the pop ups love it. There are mountains that will if you are not careful will have the park rangers coming to get you. Seen it many times. Otherwise heading next week to Bar Harbor Maine, Mt Desert Island and I cannot wait. This is my second year on a seasonal site and job and plan to be there as long as my health stays good. In Bar Harbor you will find expensive on main street. The best restaurants are to the left of the fire dept. There is an ally way of restaurants. These are the ones I recommend. Also if you like BBQ there is a great one on 3. Across from putt putt. A local secret. Yes it can be expensive if you are a tourist and do not ask. Timberland Acre RV Park sells lobster. Last year was about 9 bucks a pound. Cheapest there is. But the lobster is over rated. So if doing Bar Harbor? You can do cheap if you look. The Bark Harbor and the tea shop next to it is pretty reasonable. If you are there? Ask for Jill. I will be on one of the runs, hoping for the Loop Road. Happy Trails. Bar Hrbor
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 07:10 PM   #13

Woodford Vermont Route 9 Greenwood Lodge and campsites. At the base of a closed ski location. A very quiet place in the mountains with trails. Real friendly atmosphere. A small campground. I believe 40 sites with water & electric with a dump station.
JaycoJoe66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 07:26 PM   #14

We've camped in Blackwoods several times and will be there for a couple days before heading to Schoodic. I'm looking forward to being back in the area.