Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #1

Washington DC area

This July we will be hauling our camper from WI to Washington DC for our family vacation. What are the recommended campgrounds in that area? And possibly one about 1/2 in between as we plan on taking 2 days to get there. Our boys will be 12 and 16 at the time - so no Jellystone campgrounds. LOL

Thanks in advance!
Russ

2000 10' popup
2000 30' with triple bunks.
2011 25BHS
2016 34RSBS
Type-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #2

We live about an hour from DC and recently got a TT. We've been on a few long weekend trips. Not sure what your interest is, going into DC or checking out the surrounding area. We've stayed at the KOA at Gettysburg and Fredricksburg. Both are very nice. Gettysburg, of course, has the battlefield and town - both very nice if you're in to history. I believe 2013 is an anniversary year, so there will be a LOT of activity, re-enactments and such. Fredericksburg is probably closer to DC, but you will be contending with commuter traffic to get in. And then once you're in, parking. You can take the metro, but parking at the metro is an issue on week days. There are also numerous battlefields near Fredericksburg. Harpers Ferry also has a campground, and you have the history there plus the Appalachain Trail that goes through Harpers Ferry. If your boys are into airplanes and such, the Air and Space Museum built an enormous annex near Dulles Airport, and there is plenty of parking. That is easily a day of sight seeing.
Scouts Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #3

There is a KOA just outside the DC area close to Annapolis MD. It's a very good location as far as being close to DC, Annapolis and Baltimore. Another choice of I-70 is called Rambling Pines http://ramblinpinescampground.com close to Baltimore and DC a little further away from Annapolis. I have been to both camp grounds and they are pretty nice places.
Turn2Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #4

My wife is starting to look into campgrounds in the area. She's leaning towards the KOA-DC because we had pretty good luck with them in St Louis MO and the Chicago IL areas.
http://koa.com/campgrounds/washington-dc/

2000 10' popup
2000 30' with triple bunks.
2011 25BHS
2016 34RSBS
Type-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-A View Post
My wife is starting to look into campgrounds in the area. She's leaning towards the KOA-DC because we had pretty good luck with them in St Louis MO and the Chicago IL areas.
http://koa.com/campgrounds/washington-dc/

Here's some info about this KOA.
Take the KOA shuttle service to downtown Washington D.C. where you can pick up a guided tour of our nation's capitol.

Whether you're looking for a peaceful weekend in the country or an exciting, action-packed visit to Washington, D.C., and Chesapeake Bay, this KOA is the perfect choice. Take the KOA shuttle service to downtown Washington D.C. where you can pick up a guided tour of our nation's capitol. Also, take the shuttle service to Baltimore Inner Harbour or the state capitol and home of the Navel Academy at Annapolis, MD. Set on 50 acres of rolling countryside, this KOA includes RV and tent sites, group areas, Kamping Kabins and Lodges. Enjoy the outdoor pool with lifeguard, outdoor billiards and ping-pong. Summers buzz with activities such as flashlight lollipop hunts, outdoor movies, poolside ice cream socials and more. Stop at the camp gift shop for cool stuff. KOA's friendly staff will help you make great vacation memories.
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam
Prodigy P2
Tanker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #6

If you don't want the frills of a private campground you should check out Greenbelt National Park. It is inside the beltway just a short drive to the metro station. I was worried about safety, but it was not a problem. It is a very nice NP campground.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #7

Cherry Hill?

My Wife and I are going to D.C. in October. We are looking at Cherry Hill Park in College Park, MD. Anyone have an opinion on this park?
OhRver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #8

Cherry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhRver View Post
My Wife and I are going to D.C. in October. We are looking at Cherry Hill Park in College Park, MD. Anyone have an opinion on this park?
We have stayed @ Cherry Hill 3 times, excellent park, it is very large and the sites are nice, but close,but not as close like KOA sites. The bus stops right @ the campgrounds and takes you to the METRO, then you can go to DC in about 30 minutues.You can drive your own vehicle to the Metro and park & ride. A word of caution : plan on traffic& congestion, avoid rush hour while towing. Good location to drive to Gettysburg and Air & Space museum @ Dulles. Make reservations well indvance.DC is a great place to visit more than once.
Happy Camping!!

Buckeyyejim
Columbus Ohio
Eagle 322FKS
buckeyejim is offline   Reply With Quote