Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Camping and RV'ing > Campgrounds and Attractions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2019, 08:44 PM   #1

what was the univited guest you found in your camper

I caught something run by & into the bedroom from the corner of my eye when I was camping near Colorado springs last year. I jumped up thinking it may have been a rat. I looked under the bedsheet that was dangling near the floor & it turned out to be a Chipmunk. He pooped on the floor just before I opened the door to shoo him out. I went one way & he went the other. I blocked his escape route & funneled him towards the door, He saw it open & shot out like a little ground missle.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Awww! They're so CUTE! (Too bad they're so destructive!)

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:53 AM   #3

Mice, mice, and mice. I keep traps, electronic pest units, and bait in our TT when ever we are not actively using it. Chipmunks are basically rats in cute clothes.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:44 AM   #4

AHHH! Mini Bears are the WORST!! Sneaky little buggers!!

Clarification: Mini bears are what I call chipmunks.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:17 AM   #5

Someone else's undisciplined children. (aka "Rug Rats")

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Someone else's undisciplined children. (aka "Rug Rats")

Murff
Yup!! BTDT too!!

Mine have been marmots and raccoons; thankfully not INSIDE our camper though. Camping with another family aboard in our old TT, (incidentally the ones with the "undisciplined children"). They brought a cooler that didn't have a locking lid. We slid the VERY HEAVY cooler under the picnic table bench over night to keep the raccoons out. They're trained and know campers' coolers VERY well, and I know better than to leave ANY food unsecured over night. Anyway, the little buggers were able to open the lid JUST enough to slide their little arms in there and try to rake out what they could. They got a little, but I ran them off in the middle of the night and shored up the cooler.

I've had dozens of run-ins with raccoons over many years of camping...

Marmots were not in the camper, but while we were backpacking long time ago. We camped above the tree line, so we couldn't hang "bear bags". Bears weren't a large concern up there for us anyway, it was the marmots. We sealed and bagged all of our "smellables" and slept with them between us inside our tents. The marmots must've circled our tents for an hour or more trying to figure a way in to get the "goodies". Eventually they gave up and we got some sleep.

Knock on wood, but we've managed to keep uninvited guests out of our camper for the most part. Mosquitoes are about the worst we have, and we've had them pretty bad once or twice. They come in on our clothes or on the dog, or sneak in when we're going in/out. Then they feast on us all night and are plump and slow the next morning. But we've become pretty good at keeping them out for the most part. My son gets welts like fire ant bites from mosquitoes, so we tend to keep at least one can of spray right by the door and apply often.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:23 AM   #7
Site Team

Small frog, no clue as to how he/she got into the TT, but made its way to the bed. DW went to take a nap and all hell broke loose.... a LOUD screaming and then I saw it. Picked it up, carried it outside and let it go. Didn't take a leak on me either. DW spent the next hour looking for its relatives and friends.. none found.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #8

My DW would say every Mosquito!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:39 AM   #9

On our last trip, it was flies.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:55 AM   #10

A very small, very lost kitten.
A couple of years ago, I was prepping our old popup for a trip, and found a tiny white kitten, maybe 6 to 8 weeks old. hiding in the suspension.

No idea where she came from, but she moved right in, and has come camping with us ever since.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:16 PM   #11

We used to camp in our van. We were sitting by the campfire one night and my wife opened the van doors to get some things to roast over the fire. Opened a bag of marshmallows for the kids and no sooner had she reached to hand them to my daughter a raccoon jumped into the van, grabbed the whole bag of marshmallows and they were gone. We were laughing so hard we forgot to be disappointed.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:08 AM   #12

Federal Offence

We are also in the Frog group. We think it came in on the slideout. My wife found it hiding amongst the Leis we had received while attending the Luau at the Polynesian Village in Disney World.

The problem was we were in Pennsylvania when we found it, captured and released it. We had taken a couple of quick photos and our research identified it as a Cuban Tree Frog, an invasive species which you are supposed to kill on site.... I routinely remind my wife since she found it... She is the one who will go to jail for transporting contraband across state lines!

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote