Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2022, 03:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
For lack of a better term the "covid" campers are most of the ones bailing out first. I've seen several trailers in my area go up for sale in the past few weeks that were purchased in 2020/2021 or in the few years prior. This doesn't surprise me at all. And maybe we'll see less of the disrespect for others that's been so prevalent the last few years.

For those who travel long distance or plan to, these prices hurt bad. For those who stay within 3-4 hours of home, it doesn't actually add that much to a trip. Make adjustments elsewhere and it's doable. It's the die hards that will keep camping.

When gas was $4.00 in '08, we just ate out a little less on the trip and planned for the fuel increase. But it didn't stop us. We sold our trailer in April for non-fuel related reasons, but knowing where prices were going, we would have kept camping. The real question for us now, is whether we should keep our truck or not. Love the truck but having a harder time justifying keeping it.
Same with Boats and Boating. The covid people are now finding out that boating is expensive, and with stuff being relaxed, they can still go out and do things in public.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 03:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom463219 View Post
These fuel prices have put the kabosh on our retirement plans. Been retired for 6 years, the first 5 were great. Traveled a lot in the RV. Now, I refuse to pay $250 for a fill up to drive 375 miles. It sits in storage now. I guess it will remain there until fuel prices drop to at least $4 a gallon. Not that I didn't save a nest egg, I don't feel like dumping it all in the gas tank.
My Grandpa used to take vacations, they owned a summer home and a little boat. When they died there was only enough money left to bury them.

My OTHER Grandpa saved every penny they ever made for their "old age". They criticized the former for actually spending money on a silly thing like a vacation. They were quite wealthy at the end. I tried to get them to set up a Trust to protect their assets but they would't hear of letting someone else use their money. In the end they both went into a nursing home and the home took ALL of their money.

They all died broke. In one case they were happy. In the other they died sad and devastated that they lost all their money.

Darn the gas prices and full speed ahead. If I can't go camping because I am broke, so be it. But if die with money in the bank and missed the last camping trip because I didn't want to spend it, sucks to be me.
Old 06-18-2022, 03:33 PM   #23
Lost in the Woods

Oil prices aren't going down until supply increases or demand decreases. Neither of which is happening anytime soon. Big oil has no incentive to start up refineries which were shut down during covid, when they were losing their shirts, for the very simple reason I heard today. "Why should Exxon or Shell invest billions in more refinery capacity when as soon as things stabilize DC will be holding hearings on weaning us off fossil fuels and the need to shut down refineries".
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 03:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
Oil prices aren't going down until supply increases or demand decreases. Neither of which is happening anytime soon. Big oil has no incentive to start up refineries which were shut down during covid, when they were losing their shirts, for the very simple reason I heard today. "Why should Exxon or Shell invest billions in more refinery capacity when as soon as things stabilize DC will be holding hearings on weaning us off fossil fuels and the need to shut down refineries".
There have been many, many oil leases granted in the US in recent months. So that's Great, right? The govmt is helping us out, right? But then they need a permit to open the lease, a permit to pump the oil, a permit to transport the oil, yada, yada. The permit process has been changed.

We need to stop using oil and convert to solar and wind electric. Oil will destroy the planet with pollution.

Our govmt is on the right track. We simply must pay the price.

Suck it up, boys.
Old 06-18-2022, 05:07 PM   #25

We just got back from Cloquet, MN. Portage, IN to Cloquet 530 miles/1060 round trip. Fuel was $300~. Campgrounds were mostly empty in/around Tomah, WI and Full on weekends and 50% full during the week in Minnesota. I averaged 17.5MPG with gas being in the $4.50 range in Minnesota, $4.60 range in Wisconsin, $5.00 range in Illinois and Indiana. I can burn E85 in my truck. I purchase that in Indiana for $3.94 a gallon but my mileage drops to 15.5 on alcohol. My rig is small pulling a Jayco Hummingbird @ 3700# with a Chevrolet Silverado 4.3L. The $4 to $5 a gallon won't slow me down at all. I'll just eat my meals in the trailer and stay in state parks.
Jack N Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashaPa View Post
It will be interesting to see how full now that school is out. I'm in Maine all summer and finding it all over the board.
Most of the campers are from Maine.. Most of the RVers that visit from out of state think the coast is Maine.. The rest of us run to the North Woods. It may be full till it closes the first weekend of Oct.

But I did see at our local dealership they are offering deep discounts from MSRP again. I think the market softened.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
Same with Boats and Boating. The covid people are now finding out that boating is expensive, and with stuff being relaxed, they can still go out and do things in public.
I saw someone selling a propeller on nextdoor for 470, so yes it's an expensive hobby, just like RV's
Old 06-18-2022, 06:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I saw someone selling a propeller on nextdoor for 470, so yes it's an expensive hobby, just like RV's
Hahahaha. The propeller I bought for my boat last year cost me $790.00. The reason I bought it was not only for extra speed and performance, but it reduced my fuel usage by 10%.

Like they say, it costs money to make money.
Old 06-18-2022, 06:47 PM   #29

The rv resorts we've visited recently have been close to or fully booked. The resorts we are going to for the next few months are also booked solid. We've had to be creative with our travel schedule to get reservations bc they are so busy.
As for fuel prices, it has not and will not stop us from using our motorhome. We're fortunate that we are able to do so. At 73, I have a shrinking amount of time to explore.
Oh. BTW, gas prices here in SC dropped to $4.15 this weekend.
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 07:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
Hahahaha. The propeller I bought for my boat last year cost me $790.00. The reason I bought it was not only for extra speed and performance, but it reduced my fuel usage by 10%.

Like they say, it costs money to make money.
How many Mercury V 12's do you have on it
Old 06-18-2022, 09:32 PM   #31

I've been wanting to take a tour through the Southwest for 2 years waiting for covid to subside so the parks and the like were open. This we are going gas prices be damned, Wife and I are getting older and to wait another year for gas prices go go down isn't in the cards for us, it's now or a distinct possibility of never.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 11:26 PM   #32

The folks in NY and the northeast may be staying home but those out west haven’t gotten the memo from what we’ve seen. Just finished a three-week trip to the north and south rims of the Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion. Now finishing up two weeks on the Oregon coast. Virtually every RV park and campground has been full. Not just in-state visitors but RVs with Florida, Texas, New York and other license plates. They’re clearly spending what it takes for gas or diesel. We’d planned our southwest trip for two years, so we paid what we had to. Total diesel cost was over $1,100 but it was a memorable trip worth every penny. Heck, I’d pay double that if it meant parks not packed to the gills.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 02:52 AM   #33

Leaving PA in August for Colorado/Utah/Arizona/New Mexico.....about 5k miles round trip....translates to about 500 gallons of fuel.....not worried about gas prices....we are healthy and who knows what tomorrow will bring.....do it while you can.
2018 Thor Four Winds 24F (traded)
2016 Forest River 22RR (traded)
2008 Honda Gold Wing Level 3
1968 Honda CT90 Trailbike
stustoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 12:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
How many Mercury V 12's do you have on it
It's a single I-4. High performance double cupped, high rake and ported stainless steel props are expensive.
Old 06-19-2022, 01:04 PM   #35

Nice
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 04:10 PM   #36

Everyone is out there, just not everywhere I'd guess!
Snipped from CNN-

RV production in North America hit an all-time high in 2021, with more than 600,000 vehicles produced, according to RV Industry Association spokeswoman Monika Geraci. The association expects 2022 will be its second-best year of production ever. RVs are especially popular in the South and West.
Thor Industries, which owns popular RV brands Airstream and Jayco, said this month that its sales were up 34.6% in the latest three months, compared with the same period last year. Thor Industries says it still has a backlog of RV orders worth $13.88 billion.
RV experts say consumers are adjusting to high gas prices by taking shorter trips.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 04:15 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Everyone is out there, just not everywhere I'd guess!
Snipped from CNN-

RV production in North America hit an all-time high in 2021, with more than 600,000 vehicles produced, according to RV Industry Association spokeswoman Monika Geraci. The association expects 2022 will be its second-best year of production ever. RVs are especially popular in the South and West.
Thor Industries, which owns popular RV brands Airstream and Jayco, said this month that its sales were up 34.6% in the latest three months, compared with the same period last year. Thor Industries says it still has a backlog of RV orders worth $13.88 billion.
RV experts say consumers are adjusting to high gas prices by taking shorter trips.
Tell them to say home, I want empty campgrounds to myself
Old 06-19-2022, 04:53 PM   #38

Maybe the weather is at fault here especially if people aren't travelling far.
Its been cool and now plain cold fro June 19.
47 degrees and raining again.
We've not shared in your temps above 75 . We had one day recently
Coming to Maine? Rainwear and fleece
Its snowing 25 miles away in the White Mountains

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 05:12 PM   #39

Went camping this weekend. A State Park not far from us. Normally packed full. They have two campgrounds. The upper with 50 amp sites, lower on the river has 30 amp sites. Place was full. We stayed in the lower, only one site never had a unit in it. Park staff said they were completely booked all weekend.

We're friends with the park manager. He said day use is way down. The visitor lots were empty every time I went through them. He said week day use is at 11-14 % capacity. Normally near 100% capacity (this is a popular park). 4th of July he has 14 open space (unheard-of). Weekday camping, those 2 weeks are always at 100% booked. I forgot the exact figure, but I believe he said those weekdays is less than 50% booked.

As for this weekend, the lower camp, has 60 sites, some are non electric. There were lots of tents. More PU & HTTs than I have seen in years. 5 TTs including a tiny Scamp. 1 class A MH, 2 class B MHs (sisters). 2 small 5vers.

Normally there are a lot of TTs, and class C MHs. A bunch of HTTs, a few PUs, some 5vers (no big ones, they don't fit down below), and a few tenters.

There was a lot of kids having fun. At 9:30 pm, I think almost everyone had gone to bed.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:31 AM   #40

I've noticed an increase in Ghost Campers over the last two years and especially last year and that was before the gas prices.

I laugh when I see people complain about $5.00 a gallon. It's $7.40 a gallon for diesel near my house in Northern California and my truck holds 85 gallons.