Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2019, 08:48 PM   #1

Yellowstone

Who has been to Yellowstone NP lately? We are looking into making reservations for next summer for one of the campgrounds in the park, Madison or Bridge Bay. On the website it says that the max total length of the trailer and the tow vehicle can not be greater than 40 feet. This seems really restricted considering the length of most full-size pickups i would estimate between 15-20 feet. That means the trailer could not be longer than 20-25 feet. I have a short bed, crew cab truck and a 33 foot trailer. When I called they directed me to campgrounds outside the park. We visited YNP about 6-8 years ago and I remember seeing rigs that had to be over 40 feet combined length, let alone my Dad had his 5-er there with an longbed crew cab truck. We are concerned that if we fudge our numbers to be under the combined 40’ number that when we get there they will turn us away.
jnarracci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:50 AM   #2

If you are to long they will turn you out. Also you can not dry camp in parking lot. We have 32.5’ class c. Staying in only 40’ sites. Fishing bridge the full hook up camp ground is closed for 2019 and also 2020. There are options outside the park but the drive in on a daily basis is a pain. We will be splitting our three weeks between Madison and bridge bay this year. Plan to return in 2021 to fishing bridge to see what all changed. They are supposed to be making those sites longer to accommodate the longer rigs you see today. Good luck

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:51 AM   #3

We always stayed in W. Yellowstone. It's right at the entrance to the Park and there are numerous campgrounds close by. This one is in town and is highly rated.

https://grizzlyrv.com/

There are several KOA's a little further West of town.

We also always tour using the bus. The guides always seem to know right where the wildlife is and time your arrival at the Lodge so you get to see
Old Faithful in action. They pick-up right at the campgrounds.

https://www.yellowstonevacations.com
Old 06-30-2019, 08:05 AM   #4

I've planned out our trip next summer to Yellowstone. We'll be staying at here https://www.redrockrvpark.com
Old 07-01-2019, 09:51 AM   #5

Look at Headwaters Campground at Flagg Ranch. Just out the south boundary of Yellowstone and between both it and Tetons NP. VERY convenient to both. Good spaces, level, and shaded. Property includes C store, excellent restaurant, gas station and morning coffee/pastry shop. Will definitely stay there again next trip to YNP.

Hog3loves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:14 AM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	65183126_2091599824284529_4614256427505025024_n.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	51194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I've planned out our trip next summer to Yellowstone. We'll be staying at here https://www.redrockrvpark.com
you are going to love that area , we spend most of our time down there in the summer. i just returned from 1 1/2 weeks camping down there. here is what it looked like last friday!
also, you will not be far from johnny sack cabin in the big springs area. that is where all the water from the yellowstone plateau comes out in a big spring and johnny sack built a beautiful cabin right there.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog3loves View Post
Look at Headwaters Campground at Flagg Ranch. Just out the south boundary of Yellowstone and between both it and Tetons NP. VERY convenient to both. Good spaces, level, and shaded. Property includes C store, excellent restaurant, gas station and morning coffee/pastry shop. Will definitely stay there again next trip to YNP.
Yes! We stayed in this CG a couple of years ago and found it very nice. Convenient to Y’stone and Tetons. We were there in late Sept and caught some early snowfalls. Beautiful! Our 39’ 5th fit their spaces just fine.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:46 AM   #8

We spent a week in Yellowstone in late May.

Baker’s Hole National Forest Campground is a great campground (sites with and without electric), but it is tough to get in during July and August. It is about 2 miles north of West Yellowstone.

Road by fishing bridge (heading towards the East entrance) is a muddy mess for several miles, our next stop was Cody Wyoming.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #9

we stayed at both the east and west KOA's. I would highly recommend the west KOA.. the east is okay but not nearly as nice as the west one... if you sign up you get a 10% discount on your stay so it is very reasonable...

If you can go in September or late August.. the opened the pass very very late this year...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #10

Well I have a 222sl which is 26.5 in length and I towed it with a 2017 Suburban 18’ total of rig about 43’
Here’s the work around. I just stayed for 14 days at Bridgebay camp site 42 a pull thru.
Making res 40 foot is max so you must be 40’ and no more to make reservation.
Tent sites for a 8x10 tent come with 2 parking spaces or a space that will accommodate 2 vehicles.
Sites are not assigned until check in.
I reserved 1 tent site and 1 Rv site for 40’ Rig for the length of our stay parked TV at tent site. Which by luck was across from TT site. The only stipulation about the tent site IT must be occupied. Which as far as I could tell meant a tent must be set up in site.
That’s what we did no issues and no questions asked by camp personal.
The BIG rule is tires MUST remain on pavement. Stabilizers and tongue jacks not so much. When we checked in I said 40 foot site please and it worked out great.
Good luck. And enjoy the great Yellowstone Park.

1992-2010 Jayco 1401 93 GMC Sub
2018-20?? 2019 Jayco Octane 222SL 18 Silverado 1500
Gogrampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:02 AM   #11

Red Rocks Campground

We love Redrocks Campground about 20 min outside the West Entrance near Island Park Idaho. Super nice clean quite place to stay. We have been staying here almost every year since 1993 in our first Jayco TT.

here is the web site: https://www.redrockrvpark.com/

Mark and Debi
Madwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:43 AM   #12

A really good YouTube Channel to watch before you go is Long Long Honeymoon. Shawn and Kristy have a great RV channel detailing their travels. He worked at Yellowstone when he was in collage. While he may not be a "expert" they put out a well thought out professional videos. Plus they have a lot of great RV videos
Debdon Journeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:09 AM   #13

Anybody have any recent experience this summer getting in to one of the Yellowstone lodges for a nite w/o a reservation. Checking the reservation website they show the time each am that each lodge books up. They must have a few unreserved or canceled rooms that go first come each morning.

DW and sister are on a 3 week car trip wandering thru colo, Wy, and Montana and one of the potential destinations is the Teton/Yellowstone area. Not camping and are on lookout for small Ma and Pop type motels and bed n breakfast type overnites. Just stayed 3 nites in Grand Lake Colo in what they describe as their conastoga wagon room. Finally discovered on 3d nite that it actually had a small heater [nites down into 40's]. These ladies have never done anything like this and my fingers are crossed.

Any thoughts?
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #14

I like redrockrvpark too, we take the ATV's with us when we go.

2020 Ford F350 XLT 4x4 SCLB, FX4, 6.7 Diesel
2021 NorthWood Nash 29S, OTG, Solar
2014 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 HD, SCLB, 5.0 373 SOLD
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHS SOLD
ToppDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:22 PM   #15

Just FYI, I just booked for next summer for 8 nights at Redrock. They must have just opened up the 2020 season.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Anybody have any recent experience this summer getting in to one of the Yellowstone lodges for a nite w/o a reservation. Checking the reservation website they show the time each am that each lodge books up. They must have a few unreserved or canceled rooms that go first come each morning.

DW and sister are on a 3 week car trip wandering thru colo, Wy, and Montana and one of the potential destinations is the Teton/Yellowstone area. Not camping and are on lookout for small Ma and Pop type motels and bed n breakfast type overnites. Just stayed 3 nites in Grand Lake Colo in what they describe as their conastoga wagon room. Finally discovered on 3d nite that it actually had a small heater [nites down into 40's]. These ladies have never done anything like this and my fingers are crossed.

Any thoughts?
Well the good news is they got in the Inn at old faithful. The bad news in they got in the inn at old faithful. 2 nites total just north of $600. Throw in another $300 at the gift shop and $100 for lunch they dropped a grand in 2 days. Leaving in the morning?
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:27 PM   #17

You will love it there. They have a new expansion that has cement patios if you like that or the older grass sites with more trees. If your booking this early you can probably have your choice. Have a great stay. We are going back for a week next month.

Archie

If the women don't find you handsome, they shoud at least find you handy!

Mark and Debi
Bountiful, UT
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 25.5 REOK
2017 F250 Power Stroke XL Standard Cab Long Bed
Madwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:27 PM   #18

Is May a good time to visit Yellowstone?
sjackson486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:32 PM   #19
CAG

Yes but you can become a victim of weather. Just be prepared for cold and snow if mother natures decides to show her power.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Yes but you can become a victim of weather. Just be prepared for cold and snow if mother natures decides to show her power.
X2. Even in early June this year there were freeze warnings the nights we were there. May is a good time to see the animals, though. Bears are coming out of hibernation etc.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote