Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #1

Yellowstone area CG WiFi expectations

We are getting ready to take a month long trip from SC to Yellowstone.We plan on boondocking it on the way there and back.

We currently have AT&T Iphones with unlimited data plans and we stream Netflix, Dish Sling and Amazon on our phones. We can use an adopter to connect the phones to our TV in the camper.

We are debating whether or not we to buy a Winegard/Dish Playmaker for this trip. We have researched campgrounds and most indicate free WIFI. I am wondering if and when my cell signal is gone can I expect to stream off of the CG WiFi.

Any thoughts are apapreciated.

We did not inherit our future from our ancestors, we have borrowed it from our children.
lorrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #2

Our experience in campgrounds in the rural West was they depended on Satellite Internet and streaming never worked well. The upload speeds were abysmal when the weather bad
It could take 20 min to upload an e mail

Good luck

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #3

I have traveled all over the west a number of times. Most post that you can't stream video or music, if you do they shut you down or slow it to the point it's useless. WiFi is provided for checking email and that's about it. Why not just get satellite TV, it should work in most parks (we have been in parks where no sites had a clear sky view, hence Sat TV didn't work).

I would enjoy the outside and incredible views of the stars etc, rather than sit inside and watch a movie, something you can do at home. Have a fire, tell stories, meet your neighbors, many will be from out of the country. Enjoy where your at, save the TV for home. JMHO

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:45 AM   #4

Most campgrounds have limited wifi. It is designed for email.. 2 bandhogs (people streaming movies) will kill the internet for everyone in the park..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:51 AM   #5

Please do not try to stream off of CG WiFi. That takes bandwidth away from others, and already limited speed at that.

That said, as mentioned above most have built in throttling. Many have 15-30 limits as well.

Most important, have fun and enjoy where you are at!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Most campgrounds have limited wifi. It is designed for email.. 2 bandhogs (people streaming movies) will kill the internet for everyone in the park..
X2! If we could, many would, but if you try to HOG the limited bandwidth in almost all CGs you will freeze your video and bring the whole thing to a standstill for All the rest in the CG. A few private CGs offer a premium wifi with a separate password for an extra cost to those who want to do more than google searches and email but they are few and far between and will not be Free.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:30 AM   #7

When I said streaming I was in error. I could not get to this or any website.. Just very slow access.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:47 AM   #8

Thanks to all the replies.

I suspected that WiFi would be poor in the CG and wanted to check. Living in a 4g LITE world one forgets.

We are not big couch potatoes more like news junkies. I hate to invest $500 for television for a month long trip. I guess it's going to be local cable for us.

We did not inherit our future from our ancestors, we have borrowed it from our children.
lorrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:14 AM   #9

wifi

We are currently at the Redrock CG in so-called Island Park. Maybe 15 miles off the highway down paved roads and 30 miles or so from Yellowstone west entrance. I have AT&T wireless and we can stream Netflix and everything Roku offers with internet sharing turned on. You have an unlimited plan so bandwidth consumption may not be a problem, but i was late to the party and have 15 GB per month. LTE with 2/3 bars here in Nowheresville. You can go to the Netflix site and change the video quality and bandwidth usage. The lowest setting (and looks good on a 32" TV) gets 3 hours of video per gigabyte. They have a 400mb usage per person limit here at camp, so you could stream Netflix off their wifi for almost 3 hours a day without stepping on toes. There is no PHONE service but I am able to stream from my phone. Snow last night in the close mountains. 110 degrees at home in So Cal.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrir View Post
Thanks to all the replies.

I suspected that WiFi would be poor in the CG and wanted to check. Living in a 4g LITE world one forgets.

We are not big couch potatoes more like news junkies. I hate to invest $500 for television for a month long trip. I guess it's going to be local cable for us.
You will also find the cell service in many areas, wanting. We did a summer where there was little cell service, no TV (sat didn't work due to trees) and no Wi-Fi. After a few weeks we didn't miss no TV or wifi etc. We spend 6 months there and had a fire almost every evening. Met wonderful people, did lots of walks, and never thought about the TV. We would trade movies about once a week which was nice.

Enjoy your trip and know, the news never really changes, it will be there when you return. You only go to Yellowstone for the first time once in your life, enjoy it.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post

Enjoy your trip and know, the news never really changes, it will be there when you return. You only go to Yellowstone for the first time once in your life, enjoy it.
I couldn't agree more.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote