Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2016, 08:22 PM   #1

Yellowstone Trip

I am planning on taking my family on a 2 week excursion from Ohio to Yellowstone and back. I am looking to do this first of Aug 2017 and would like to know where I should stay while in Yellowstone. From my preliminary research it looks like I will want to relocate a couple of times while I am in the park and from what I can tell there is only one full hook up place inside the park at Fishing Bridge. I don't mind going a few days without full hook ups and I do have the approved honda generators I was planning on taking, but I am trying to see what strategic spots I should target in order to minimize driving so much to see the different attractions. I have a 40ft with wheel (345BHTS) so I need to be cognitive on wether the sites are big enough. Any and all help in me planning this trip of a lifetime would be appreciated. We also plan on within things like Mt Rushmore on the way as well!
bfurry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:15 PM   #2

One of the best vacations we ever had, and I'm in my 60's! We live in Indiana and my son-in-law and daughter pulled their TT all the way, about 4,500 miles. He stayed at Fishing Bridge because it's the only CG with hook-ups. The sites were cozy, but do-able.

Along the way. he also stayed at a nice KOA in Sioux Falls, S.D. They stayed at a KOA outside of Wall SD. When we left Yellowstone, they went in to the Grand Tetons and stayed at a nice CG there that had a beautiful view of the snow-covered mountains. They also stayed in the Bad-Lands. They also went in to the Rockies, near Estes Colo.

You and your family will be amazed at the things you will see and the landscape is amazing.

We did all of this in 2 weeks too.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:00 AM   #3

we did the Yellowstone trip in 2014 and it was great

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f2...rip-21931.html
Old 02-15-2016, 08:07 AM   #4

We've been there twice. We stayed outside the park at Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone Mt. IMHO, just stay put in one place the entire time. No matter where you there is a lot of driving. The main loop by itself is 100 miles long. Just plan each day as to what area you will spend your time in.

Some of the best of Yellowstone is on back country trails. That said I recommend a good pair of hiking shoes and a couple of day hike trail guides. You'll also avoid the crowds too. Most tourists stay off the trails because it's too much like work.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:30 AM   #5

Allow enough time! From Ohio, it will take you a bare minimum of 4 days of driving! 5 if you plan to do any brief stops along the way!
Old 02-15-2016, 06:31 PM   #6

We went to South Dakota, then over to Yellowstone via Montana.

Yellowstone:We stayed in Grant Village (Site 318) 4 days and then Canyon Village (site 240) 4 days. Each are within the park. We split time between both so that we were not driving for ever! You will have to fill up your fresh water tanks and dump waste/grey tanks as there are no utilities. Generators can run from 7a-7p. We were told to stay away from Fishing Bridge campground due to being packed in there like sardines. We didn't go all that way to stare at the wall of the neighboring trailer!

I highly recommend white water rafting in Gardner Montana, at the Yellowstone Raft Company.

Montana: 7th Ranch RV park in Gerryowen. Its real close to the Little Big Horn Battlefield/Monument. We made this little side trip since there was no direct route between Custer SP and Yellowstone NP. Nice little mom and pop place. Very clean and they gave the kiddos some ice cream when we arrived.

South Dakota: We stayed in Custer State Park, specifically Game Lodge campground. In fact the main picture on the state parks website for this camp area shows our site (to the left of the cabin). We loved this park and camp area. It was an easy drive to Mount Rushmore, etc. The site (13E) had electricity but no fresh water or dump. You have to also fill your fresh water tanks as you come in and dump on the way out.

Have fun and enjoy the trip. Make sure to book EARLY!!

https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachmen...pic32337_2.gif
Chris P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #7

Planning out Yellowstone trip for July 2017. Considering the KOA a few miles outside the west gate entrance, Planning on staying at the YNP for 7 days. Just getting started with the planning and research. Two families going, Ours consists of DW, our then 10 year old daughter, and myself, in a Precept 35UN, and our best friends in their Eagle 360OQSOK fifth wheel, mom, dad, 10 year old twins and a 4 year old.
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:53 AM   #8

We came in from the north and stayed the night before at a KOA in Livingston, MT the night before. We were there in 2014, stayed 4 nights at fishing bridge. The sites are close together and have no extras. The location is good, as it is mostly centered in the park. We divided the park into quarters and visited one each day.
We don't dry camp, and I did not want to stay outside of the park. I figured we would be driving a lot already.
We then stayed 3 nights in Grand Tetons, at Colter bay. The scenery in the Tetons is beautiful.
Here are some pics!

http://1drv.ms/1RACnIo

2017 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
lhpelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
Allow enough time! From Ohio, it will take you a bare minimum of 4 days of driving! 5 if you plan to do any brief stops along the way!
We left Michigan after work on Friday and got there Sunday evening. It all depends on your priorities. Ours is maximizing time at our destination. You could be at Yellowstone for a month and not have enough time! I'm guessing we'll travel more leisurely when time off and schedules are no longer a problem for us.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:56 AM   #10

Last year, we did the southern loops of Yellowstone from Colter Bay in the Tetons. The Campground there is a lot nicer than YNP and more big rig friendly. I would plan on at least 3 hours to do each loop in Yellowstone, we spent one day doing just 1 loop. When we were ready for the northern loops we overnighted at Grizzly RV CG in W. Yellowstone, an outstanding campground. We did our laundry there, filled our tanks, etc. and then got one of the electric sites at Bakers Hole about 2 miles North of town.
The Kroc is offline   Reply With Quote