Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Camping and RV'ing > Boondocking
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2017, 08:16 PM   #21

If your going to Yellowstone now, know it's in the low 30's at night there.. I would guess below freezing with the next few weeks. You may want to rethink no heater at night...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:18 PM   #22

If you have the stock WFCO charger/converter in your Jayco, it will most likely inhibit your ability to charge in a reasonable period of time with your generator.

I would suggest doing some searching on the net with regard to replacing the WFCO unit with something like the Progressive Dynamics charger/converter.

The WFCO units claim to be "smart" chargers, but very typically don't go into "bulk" charging mode, making a charge take 10+ hours instead of only a couple hours with a smart charger that increases it's voltage to "bulk" mode for more rapid charging.

If you make a note of which model WFCO you have, you can visit the Progressive site and they'll likely have a replacement for your specific model. I made this upgrade on my 2017 26BH, and it was a fairly simple DIY job.

Oh, and you should really practice your backing up. Go to a parking lot and practice. An hour or two spent practicing will save you a LOT of grief.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:11 PM   #23

my kids love when we use our head lamps! have lots of fun! I admire your "can do this" attitude. got bear spray? I also suggest saving for a sealed deep cycle battery? less to worry about.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
The first thing to remember is HAVE FUN!!!
The second thing to remember is TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES!!!
The third thing to remember is SHARE THE PICTURES WITH ALL OF US!!!

You will do just fine and if you need some info, you know where to find us.

OK, now attached is some battery information for you. If the text is to small here is the link, it should answer your questions
Trojan Battery Company

Since you will be traveling, get a magnetic key box and hide it somewhere with an extra TT key in it, just in case you lose your key... or keep the extra key in the TV.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Thank you Mustang for the battery link!
My battery is brand new, Costco 27dc marine, I actually haven't even connected it yet but the voltometer is reading at just 12.5 so I thought maybe I needed to add water, but instead I will go ahead and put the charger on it. According to the site I need to charge it first and then check the water level and voltometer.

And I will definitely take your tip about having lots of fun and dare I say I will probably take TOO many pictures?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

2004 Jayco Jayfeather Sport 165
2004 Lexus GX470
Sport165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
my kids love when we use our head lamps! have lots of fun! I admire your "can do this" attitude. got bear spray? I also suggest saving for a sealed deep cycle battery? less to worry about.

Thank you Victoria for the vote of confidence! Yes I really wanted to get the SEALED BATTERY, but I really needed to purchase an inverter generator so it was either that or the sealed battery and "Genny" won out!!!!

And yes kids and headlamps and flashlights, including campfires!! what's not to love?! I think that's a big chunk of the fun as far as camping goes for my son! Maybe me too!!!!

I seriously considered just taking the tent, we spent a week tent camping in Joshua Tree and it was absolute Heaven! It's truly the way to go there!

But all the Bears and the (safety) restrictions, not to mention cold fall weather, meant my TT Sport needed to step up!

It's funny, I had no idea the amount of effort that goes into owning a trailer! I've also met a lot of people that look at me like I'm a Nutter because I'm a single mom going out doing this, as if I'm the first and only one to ever do so LOL
Besides, I fully support the Second Amendment!!!
Anyways, it's been a huge learning curve that's for sure!
Thanks again, actually thanks to everybody
:-) :-) :-)

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

2004 Lexus GX470
Old 09-03-2017, 01:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Maybe you are an engineer type like I am, and I appreciate your completely anal perspective on planning this trip.

hi Bansai,
No I'm pretty much the opposite of all that, I tend to be more of a laid-back,go with the flow, spontaneous free spirit... which through lessons learned, it's not always the best way to go about things!
So, yes, I am planning this one out!
I'm trying to do what I can do, I know I can't control everything and I want this trip to go as smooth as possible as far as trailer Works goes, but I'm completely okay in a tent so if worst comes around, and we've just got a fancy tent on wheels, then We're absolutely okay :-)

That said.....

Just go camping. You can charge up with your tow vehicle worst case, but you also have a generator.

If camping with a travel trailer / camper / motor home / becomes a lot more stressful than just taking a tent and some food / water... something is wrong. And it's not your gear.

I might be too tired to understand that right there because taking a tent is so much easier! And whereas having access to a TT seems to make life more comfortable, there's a lot of work involved! Especially when your TT hasn't been driven on the road in 10 years! And is in need of a lot of TLC on new parts, on a very small limited budget.
I am trying to make sure that I completely understand everything about the TT and that it's in safe condition to travel and that I know how to actually use everything.

Have a good trip. Stop stressing about it. Stress is going on a 3+ week cross country backbacking trip with strangers, not enough water, freak weather events out in the open, cooking with a micro sized stove, if it lights, wondering where your next water is coming from, hoping your buddy doesn't break a bone as he's skiing down the side of a volcano with a 70 lb backpac on volcanic shale.. Put things in perspective. Don't stress until you have something to actually stress about.

Haha now see, that sounds like an amazing trip!

Plan for some of that, but don't obsess. Only 2 cents I have at the moment.

Thanks for your 2¢ Bansai, I hear ya

I'm actually at the point now where I'm just going to wrap up what needs to be wrapped up, and I am done.

If I didn't get to it then whatever, it'll have to be fine.

Such as my fan blade LOL I have a new one but I finally figured out why I couldn't make it stick on the little motor shaft, the hole in the fan blade is a D shape and it is supposed to be a round hole like the old obsolete motor shaft is. I will probably try to drill a tiny hole in it. ((Yes, I know it'll be off center but I don't really care as long as it works.))

New priority----->
trying to learn about all the amazing areas we're going to be traveling through so that we can try and see as much as we can :-) :-)

2004 Lexus GX470
Old 09-04-2017, 12:53 PM   #27

I am really looking forward to hearing about how this trip goes! btw what kind of trailer do you have?
Old 09-06-2017, 07:56 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Since you will be traveling, get a magnetic key box and hide it somewhere with an extra TT key in it, just in case you lose your key... or keep the extra key in the TV.
I would highly recommend this ^.

Our new Hummingbird locked us out somehow with the keys inside a few months ago, luckily the dealership was willing to meet us half way (an hour drive for both of us) to lend us a master key.

We now have several spare keys available for use.

Still have no idea how the door managed to lock itself when it was closed, but it did and I've read about this happening to other people as well......

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #29

How is trip going?
Attached Thumbnails
Cactus 011.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:10 PM   #30

We always get enough recharge on our OEM battery (realising it isn't the greatest) to last 3 days without the genny
2 20 lb propane tanks have done for us over 70 nights. We don't travel with it onduring the day. The fridge acts as a giant cooler
We travel about 300 miles a day on travel days
We do travel with fresh water as there isn't always water where we are going. A6 gal water can is handy if we do run out and need more water. Bucket for scattering grey water a la tenting
As for generators in Yellowstone they are allowed in six campgrounds and not the rest
Allowed Bridge Bay Mammoth Madison Canyon Grant Norris. 8-8

We've e been on the road for a long time dragging this genny around and used it once. It does not charge up the battery quick as we have done no battery modifications

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:07 PM   #31

First, I applaud you for doing this with your son. It will be a great trip. And, don't forget to ask for help if you need it along the way.

With the generator just use your trailer as it was intended. Use the refrigerator, furnace, shower, etc. We used to carry some of those collapsible water jugs to refill if there was no water connection.

My only concern would be really cold nights (well below freezing) and water lines. Our old trailer had exposed lines and the water could not be used in hard freeze conditions.

Have fun out there.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:54 AM   #32

Hi guys!
Our 2017 Epic Southwest Roadtrip'n Adventure to Yellowstone & Zion, & every park in-between... Is on the books!
I've been meaning to post about it, but where do I start? & Which forum do I post in?!
I may have to start a blog!
Because... So much went right, but some things went Sooo wrong-- (but what an adventure!!) (In hindsight!)
& I learned that I like shiny new things... like Roadtreks & Navions & Views... & The UNITY!
Ok, I will get something posted soon!

2004 Lexus GX470
Old 10-29-2017, 06:37 PM   #33

I am looking forward to updates!
Old 10-29-2017, 07:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport165 View Post
snip...
Because... So much went right, but some things went Sooo wrong-- (but what an adventure!!) (In hindsight!)
...snip...
Ok, I will get something posted soon!
It's been said that 'Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.'

Looking forward to reading it wherever you post it.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, boondocking, charging, generator, towing