Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2020, 08:14 PM   #1

Air conditioner running on battery

Just added the final component to my solar and LiFePo4 battery system upgrade, an Easy Start. I can now run my air conditioner for several hours from the battery and inverter. The Easy Start reduces the locked-roter amps required to start the compressor. It now draws about 100A at 12v to start and operate the air conditioner. This will be handy boondocking when it's over 90° outside in the sun since the solar panels provide about 30A charging at their peak.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_C View Post
Just added the final component to my solar and LiFePo4 battery system upgrade, an Easy Start. I can now run my air conditioner for several hours from the battery and inverter. The Easy Start reduces the locked-roter amps required to start the compressor. It now draws about 100A at 12v to start and operate the air conditioner. This will be handy boondocking when it's over 90° outside in the sun since the solar panels provide about 30A charging at their peak.
How many amp hours is that battery bank?
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
How many amp hours is that battery bank?
400Ah. Here is the thread: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...way-71873.html
Old 08-30-2020, 09:17 PM   #4

I wish it would work down here in FL.... my A/C runs 24/7. It will cycle on and off all night, but not in the daytime.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:19 PM   #5

Quote:
So, it sounds like you plan to run the battery to nearly dead, even with the solar. I don't think your battery will last very long.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I wish it would work down here in FL.... my A/C runs 24/7. It will cycle on and off all night, but not in the daytime.
Yeah, you would need 1000Ah of batteries and a roof full of panels to generate enough solar amps too keep the battery from fully discharging!
Old 08-30-2020, 09:25 PM   #7

Isn't it amazing what that little power line running down my street will do.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:26 PM   #8

Quote:
So, it sounds like you plan to run the battery to nearly dead, even with the solar. I don't think your battery will last very long.
Down to no more than 90% DoD! 4 hours is about 280 amps used, or 70% Dod. 5 hrs is about 350 amps, or about 88% DoD. LiFePo4 chemistry can handle deep discharges without detrimental impact to battery life. Around 80% DoD shouldn't be an issue! Keep these batteries "topped off" for long periods of time are far worse.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:32 PM   #9

Yeah, that is what I am saying. Not sure about that battery, but it would kill most.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:32 PM   #10

Quote:

He's running Lithiums.
Supposedly they can handle the deep discharge.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:40 PM   #11

Definitely waiting to hear the long term review, of this one. I would probably never do it for the same simple reason I never did solar. We almost never camp out of the shade.

What inverter did you install?

Definitely need pictures. No pics, didn't happen!
Old 08-30-2020, 09:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Definitely waiting to hear the long term review, of this one. I would probably never do it for the same simple reason I never did solar. We almost never camp out of the shade.

What inverter did you install?

Definitely need pictures. No pics, didn't happen!
Pics in the thread I linked above! Inverter is Renogy 2000w Pure Sine Wave
Old 08-31-2020, 01:10 AM   #13

Impressive that you were able to do this with a 2000W inverter. Most other installs I've read about where running AC off battery with solar backcharge were 3000W inverters. I guess the AC softstart makes that possible. Hopefully I can pull off the same feat by next summer - nice when your ac compressor is the loudest machine boondocking! Very cool (literally and figuratively)!
R43527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by R43527 View Post
Impressive that you were able to do this with a 2000W inverter. Most other installs I've read about where running AC off battery with solar backcharge were 3000W inverters. I guess the AC softstart makes that possible. Hopefully I can pull off the same feat by next summer - nice when your ac compressor is the loudest machine boondocking! Very cool (literally and figuratively)!
The Soft Start is the reason I can do this! Even with the 4000w peak rating of the inverter, it still wouldn't start the AC. The Soft Start has a microprocessor that learns what your compressor needs to start then reduces the current required to get the job done. One way it does this is to delay the compressor starting seconds after the fan starts. It is pretty cool and actually helps lengthen the life of the compressor even if you don't start it on batteries!
Old 09-02-2020, 10:38 PM   #15

Camp at higher elevations, no need for AC, problem solved.

I can run mine on 300Ah of Battleborn LiFePO4's with my 3000W Victron Inverter and the Easy Start. If you really want to do this properly, you need more than 1000Ah of LiFePO4 and 1000+ Watts of solar for extended periods of AC use. That said, I do like having the ability to run AC for 30-60 minutes in the afternoon to cool things off.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackIt View Post
Camp at higher elevations, no need for AC, problem solved.

I can run mine on 300Ah of Battleborn LiFePO4's with my 3000W Victron Inverter and the Easy Start. If you really want to do this properly, you need more than 1000Ah of LiFePO4 and 1000+ Watts of solar for extended periods of AC use. That said, I do like having the ability to run AC for 30-60 minutes in the afternoon to cool things off.
Exactly! It's great to have for very occasional use to cool things down a bit but not for consistent use
Old 09-05-2020, 12:52 PM   #17

Running AC On Battery

Quote:
This sounds like it could be a great thing for RV'ers like me. I am a RV vacationer and I only use the auxiliary generator for stops along the highway to run the AC and microwave/toaster while having lunch or when we pull off to a restaurant. From what you say here, I could replace the my big Onan hog which frequently balks with your battery system. How nice that would be. Maybe newer RVs will go that way.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:31 PM   #18

$6000-7000

Those batteries are $1000 each, one could run the A/C for an hour continuously, four could make it through the night with ease. But four LifePo4 batteries cost $4,000. Plus $1,250 for the inventor and another $1000 for panels and smart solar charger is still not an affordable way of doing this yet. I can run my $700 inventor generator all night for less than $5.
PPOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:06 PM   #19

Generator Inexpensive To Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPOSS View Post
Those batteries are $1000 each, one could run the A/C for an hour continuously, four could make it through the night with ease. But four LifePo4 batteries cost $4,000. Plus $1,250 for the inventor and another $1000 for panels and smart solar charger is still not an affordable way of doing this yet. I can run my $700 inventor generator all night for less than $5.
Yes, I know the generator is inexpensive to run. It's just the noise and the vibration that cause the hassle; plus it's temperamental nature in hot weather. Also you have to service it.

My guess, though, is that future RVs might offer an option for either engine or batteries and as they go more into production, hopefully the batteries will get less expensive. If a lithium batter can power a Tesla 300 miles, you would think they could make one to run RV cabin appliances.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 04:45 PM   #20

Don't get me wrong, i love the solar idea but I'm not ready to spend that kind of money on it yet.

The Telsa brings up a good point. If an automotive A/C produces 50,000-60,000 BTUs the equivalent of four large RV A/C's. What does Telsa A/C produce and consume and how can we borrow from it?
PPOSS is offline   Reply With Quote