RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2021, 06:24 AM   #1

Battery upgrades

Hello,
Just purchase a new 2021 jayfeather 24bh that is equipped with a 190w solar panel and a 30 amp charge controller. I would like to upgrade to 2 batteries on my unit so Iím able to boondock when we feel like it. Can anyone in here recommend good batteries that would fit my needs? And would I have to install an inverter to power certain things. I wouldnít run the a/c but would maybe like to run a coffee pot or microwave every once and awhile. Possibly. Thanks!!
brewcrew22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:29 AM   #2

Lithium if you can afford the upfront cost, end up cheaper over time
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:33 AM   #3

a pair of 6 volt Trojan t-105's wired in series is a *very* common upgrade if you have the space for them, or know how to weld, or are willing to pay someone to fabricate you a battery box for them. They have bigger ones too depending on your amp hour needs / and space. You would need an inverter strong enough to run your microwave and that's obviously a pretty serious drain on your batteries depending on how much you use it, you may even want to invest in a backup inverter/generator for those times when your power demands include the microwave. We love camping off grid, but in the summer, not being able to run the AC at all is a major problem throughout most of our camping areas. Our camper turns into an oven. totally depends on where you guys go of course. We bring the generator as a plan B for that, and a ton of other reasons. Always good to have options.

I'm 100% a coffee snob, but when camping off grid, we make our coffee in a french press that just requires us to boil some water on the stove. You might want to pick up a 12 volt coffee maker so you have one less thing to need an invertor for if you still want the 'drip' machine.

Envious that you have built-in solar. I would have definitely paid for that option if I could have.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote