Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #1

Beachfront Boondocking

Saw the picture online of a stuck rig and wanted to pass it along. I can only guess that it happened at Oceano Dunes (Pismo Beach) in Southern California. I have camped there for the past 40 years and have seen this happen MANY times. This site allows you to camp right on the beach.

In the early days rigs weren't quite so large but still could get stuck. Bigger is nice but presents some problems when driving in sand. You will see 45' class A's towing enclosed trailers on this beach. Sometimes it doesn't go as planned.

I originally started camping there in my new 1972 Ford van. Then it was an 8' camper which made us feel like we were styling. Next was an 11' deluxe Lance camper on a 4wd truck. This was first class for us and we put it to good use for 25 years.

My wife finally talked me into something a bit larger. Happy wife, happy life! Purchased a new 2017 Greyhawk which I love. 32' is a bit roomier than 11'.

I have taken it a couple times to Pismo Beach and have to be VERY careful when driving on the sand. Airing down the tires is absolutely required to help the rig float on the sand. You also have to pick a time when the tide is out to give an edge to getting to an area to camp in.

I installed a front receiver hitch behind the license plate so I could be tugged if needed. Apparently there is no good spot to hook a tow strap to on the Ford E450 chassis without damaging something. Yep, I have had to use this setup to tug me out of a spot.

Camping there in 2017 with the new rig was fun. You select a spot far enough off the water so the high tide doesn't reach you. Well, that year there was some sort of surge causing the tide to be a lot higher than normal. I happened to look out my door one evening and saw water running by the door. Gee, my own private houseboat! Water came in and made it up the full length of my rig. No damage to our campsite fortunately. Was actually kind of funny.

If you ever get the chance to visit this campground, do it. It is called a campground but it is basically just a long sandy beach. The area is used by off road enthusiasts which I am. There are sand dunes to drive your off road toys in. Fun, fun, fun!!!

Pismo Beach has been a family thing for a very long time. My brother got me into it. After I was married I got my in-laws interested in it. Then my 3 boys grew up going there and now the grandkids are into it. I started out sleeping in a van but my sons started out in their own toy haulers and missed the experience of cramped camping. Hardly seems fair.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture2.JPG   d1.JPG   d2.JPG   d3.JPG  
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #2

Nice to hear from someone who's been there on a regular basis. I've seen many photos over the years of trailers just like the one you posted.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:08 PM   #3

We've boondocked on TX beaches a few times and never had trouble. DW is absolutely horrified of finding herself "in the water" when we're out there. I don't worry about it too much. We know the area VERY well, and are very cautious with how we operate.

I would imagine the "structure" of the beach and the sand has something to do with it as well. Where we camp, the sand is GENERALLY well packed, but there are definitely spots where the sand gets soft and you need to be careful and/or avoid those spots. But the beaches on the panhandle in Florida are a whole different ball game. I wouldn't drive on that sand with anything but a VERY well equipped off-road vehicle, if even then.

Again, we have been frequenting the same general area of coastline for many years, so I have a pretty good handle on what's going on down there. The tide charts are readily available, and we know what time of year the tides tend to swell or recede. And we keep tabs on the weather throughout the Gulf as well. A storm hundreds of miles away can have a dramatic effect on the coastline.

Bottom line (as is the case with SO much in life) pay attention, be careful, and keep your wits about you at all times, and you'll have a good time camping on the beach!! We absolutely LOVE it, even more now in our motorhome. There's just nothing like stepping out of my rig at sunrise with a hot cup of coffee and putting my toes in the sand and surf.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #4

Does anyone know of beaches that allow camping like that in the north east? We are new to having a camper/toyhauler and are only used to paddle in lake beaches for tent camping in upstate New York.
supercraig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercraig1 View Post
Does anyone know of beaches that allow camping like that in the north east? We are new to having a camper/toyhauler and are only used to paddle in lake beaches for tent camping in upstate New York.
Assateague Island State Park I think is about as close as you are gonna get. The ocean is on the other side of the Sand Dunes there. Easy walk to the beach and flat for biking. We were there last summer and we and the kids had a great time. Plus, the wild ponies walk thru your campsite so make sure you keep food put away.

https://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvis...andcamping.htm

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:55 PM   #6

There are several beaches on Long Island that will allow you to camp on the beach. These are all in Suffolk County. Cupsogue County Park is a Suffolk County Park that allows this. There is also another Suffolk County Park in Montauk (east end of L.I.) that has camping on the beach. Check the Suffolk County Parks website for info. Also in Montauk is Hither Hills State Park. Camping is just behind the dunes with grass and a cement pad. Walk thru marked paths between the dunes and you are on the ocean beach. There are no hookups at these parks. Bathrooms w/showers are provided at Hither Hills. Use Reserve America to reserve sites at Hither Hills. You can reserve 9 months ahead. Good luck getting a site in the summer. My favorite place to camp.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:49 PM   #7

We have a place here to go on the beach at Virginia Beach... I really rather be setup in the woods with a short walk to the beach and the water. There is always someone walking the beaches 24/7 it seems... Ran into the same thing down at Myrtle Beach... Over run with people haha... Love the beach per say but when we go to bed I like a little more privacy...

Just me of course

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:54 PM   #8

This is more our style of beach camping... We used to deal with the crowds at pismo when we lived in CA. We enjoy the quiet solitude and warm waters nowdays...
Attached Thumbnails
20160827_172254.jpg   20170528_150935.jpg   SnapShot1.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #9

When ever possible turn the TT or 5'er in the direction of exit when you are setting up. That will give you a leg up if you have to exit in a hurry and you can avoid making a 180 turn on a narrowing beach. Also you just towed across the sand so you have a feel for the packed sand. Know your tides and pay attention to above normal high tides and building offshore storms.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
This is more our style of beach camping... We used to deal with the crowds at pismo when we lived in CA. We enjoy the quiet solitude and warm waters nowdays...
That looks like Flaming Gorge, I love it there but I haven’t been there for years

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
That looks like Flaming Gorge, I love it there but I haven’t been there for years
Yes two of the pictures are at the Gorge. One of our favorite places to visit.

On another note... we will be in your backyard the week of the Independence day holiday. Stop by and say hi, we are staying at the Twin Falls 93 RV park on the West side. Will be there 7/1 - 7/5 at the least.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Yes two of the pictures are at the Gorge. One of our favorite places to visit.

On another note... we will be in your backyard the week of the Independence day holiday. Stop by and say hi, we are staying at the Twin Falls 93 RV park on the West side. Will be there 7/1 - 7/5 at the least.
Nice... Ya that is really close, I will be in the area and would love to stop and say Hi.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote