Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Camping and RV'ing > Boondocking
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2020, 12:49 AM   #1

Boondocking advice? Check list? Flight SLX 7 145rb Baja Edition

Hey Guys!

New to the forum, new to camper life, new to jayco. In the past few hours i've devoured the owners manual..... Not that informative for a novice. I yearned for check lists on the procedure for starting things up off grid boondocking and got nothing. At the end of the manual there was a pre trip and post trip checklist but nothing as far as a step by step for getting rolling.

We do have a generator but are going tomorrow to get a qoute on a tatal offgrid system. We are planning to go off grid in the mountains of colorado soon then travel east to visit family and friends from kc to chi, to ny so any help would be greatly appreciated as we plan to do alot of boondocking and i have little knoweldge of the process of boondocking. But am a willing student. I've searched for service manuals and check lists and am coming up with nothing.

Thanks in advance for your help and patience.

Scott and Linsey
sjenk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:03 PM   #2

Here is a checklist I use (hopefully I attached it correctly). Its for my x17z, and I have solar, but boondock most of time so may help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 RV Checklist.pdf (462.5 KB, 49 views)
Husky Centerline WDH
Leedillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:24 PM   #3

Welcome from Colorado Springs.

We ONLY boondock, I’ve installed solar and bring a HF 3500 generator. I re-jetted the generator, it came with a #72, I replaced it with a #60 jet ...it runs significantly better at elevation, Better fuel efficiency too. I recently camped at close to 10k’ and got close to 16 hours of run time. Before the jet changes, I barely got 11 hours!

My suggestion is find an area close or your driveway and camp for 2 nights. You’ll QUICKLY know what you NEED. As you know water is important here in Colorado, you’ll be shocked how fast you can go through it too. We use paper plates etc so no dishes to wash except silverware.

Make sure you have a jack capable of lifting (height wise) your camper to change a flat tire.

Good luck and safe travels!
Old 07-31-2020, 08:26 PM   #4

Been boondocking for well over 30 years. I have come to rely on an Excel spreadsheet, that I created and continue to modify, for my "pre-flight" checklist. I have columns organized by task. Some examples:

Checks: propane level, tire pressures, fuel, engine oil & washer fluid, generator oil, fresh water fill, running light checks.

Load: spare batteries, booze, medications, food, clothes, toys (for me-my laptop), flashlights.

Check consumables: potti chemical & toilet paper, trash bags, plates, red cups, disposable utensils, paper towels, foil, food storage bags, hand soap, dish soap, cleaning spray, first aid kit supplies.

Shut down (home): stop mail, heater/ac, set light timer, set sprinkler timer, lock gates.

Maintenance: oil change (engine & generator), clean ac filters.

Misc: cool down fridge & load cold, map trip in GPS.

I also have a section with dates that maintenance items or components, such as house batteries, were serviced or replaced. Everything on 1 page basically. When prepping for a trip I scratch off each item when completed which helps me get off my butt to get things ready.

Build your own list and I bet you will add some things after every trip for awhile.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:42 PM   #5

A quality set of jumper cables.... they have got me and others going many times.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedillion View Post
Here is a checklist I use (hopefully I attached it correctly). Its for my x17z, and I have solar, but boondock most of time so may help.
Thank you so much that was amazing. I read every page and downloaded it as a reference. Truly grateful! Now to learn by trail and error.
Update getting a 170w solar panel mounted on the roof with a 3000w inverter installed as we speak so i’m well be boondocking for the first time next week!

Thanks again
Old 08-01-2020, 01:47 AM   #7

Cheers and thanks you!
Old 08-01-2020, 01:49 AM   #8

Great info thanks!
Old 08-02-2020, 06:58 PM   #9

Good luck and have fun!
Husky Centerline WDH
Leedillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:47 PM   #10

I’d build a PEX repair kit. Start with a PEX crimping tool (yes I know they are expensive but they are a lifesaver when you have an issue), a bag of 1/2” PEX clamps, a couple 1/2” 90 degree splice fittings, straight splice fittings, T fittings, and a couple valves. Top that off with the longest piece of 1/2” PEX pipe you can safely store onboard. Google how to remove a PEX clamp with or without a PEX clamp removal tool. I don’t use the tool, a flat screwdriver and a pair of pliers can get the job done.

I’ve twice saved a camping trip by repairing leaking PEX lines and a valve on the water heater that failed and was leaking badly. Hope that you never need it but being able to repair the plumbing if an issue arises can be the difference between a ruined trip or a minor setback.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:49 AM   #11

Thx!
jackman5000 is offline   Reply With Quote