Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNear View Post
I once camped next to a field full of cows, I dumped black straight to ground, I was on a hill and the flow went down into the field of cows. I was challenged on this by another camper. He was outraged at me for doing this, while he was giving me the gears, the cows were ten feet away doing what cows do after they eat and drink.... I just didn't see what he didn't understand about my logic!!
Wow...I'm not sure where to start since the last guy wasn't able to explain it to you. That's just plain wrong and you should know better.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:56 PM   #22

I drain my gray water nightly with a garden hose adaptor on tree bases or other areas that can use the water. No stink in one day. I tinkle outside and leave the bathroom to my wife. We can dry camp for 10 days with no problem. My current RV holds 80 gallons fresh, my new one..I pick it up 8-26...tomorrow..see my sig...holds 83 gallons. We shower using the push off and on button. About 1/2 gallon to get wet, couple gallons to rinse. Less than 6 gallons daily. We keep our hair short.
We use bottled gallons of water for coffee, cooking.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:27 AM   #23

Quote:
I once camped next to a field full of cows, I dumped black straight to ground, I was on a hill and the flow went down into the field of cows. I was challenged on this by another camper. He was outraged at me for doing this, while he was giving me the gears, the cows were ten feet away doing what cows do after they eat and drink.... I just didn't see what he didn't understand about my logic!!
You just threw yourself under the bus.
Not everyone will relate to you and if they do they won't admit to it.This just opens the door for folks to question your morals. Next time you want to let if rip keep quiet about it.

Adk Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
I contemplated for a long time as to what to post in reply to this, but finally realized there wasn't anything. You're going to do as you please irregardless of the possible consequences you inflict upon people (campers), the environment and even the poor cows by your inconsiderate actions.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:59 AM   #25

[Because cows and humans don't share the same diseases, for the most part. Poo contains live samples of whatever diseases the poo-er has. Breaking the "fecal-oral" route of infection has been the most important advancement in public health in the last.... well, ever actually. Its why worms, tapeworms, cholera, typhus, and host of less famous pathogens are now uncommon. ]

It's just not safe. Any kid could run thru it or fall in it.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #26

Tex, it looks like you may need to do a little weight distribution tweaking.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #27

Yes...just picked her up today. Changing out 15 inch 2500 pound tires and wheels out to 16 inch 3500 pound rating. Installing sway and load levers today as well and adjusting ball up.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:18 PM   #28

Think some defense to "the comment", is needed. Don't know about ya'll but I was a boyscout and we were taught to use that trowel and dig a latrine when camping out in the woods. Ok that's not an acceptable approach in or near an established camping area, but if boondocking well off the grid some level of digging and dumping would probably mirror the ol boy scout training. that doesn't mean outflow on to the surface regardless of where it might go and for sure well away from a stream or trail.

I doubt that letting the B tank fly with 30 - 30 etc gallons of waste would ever be acceptable, anybody who think backpackers carry little disposable toilets are not thinking thru the real world.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #29

If you spill a spoon full of engine oil when changing or adding its no big deal.
But if you spilled 30 gallons....that's a lot of carpolla at one time.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:41 PM   #30

Pardon the pun, but this really a "gray area". I think both state and local municipalities have different laws on what you can and can't do with gray water. Not to mention personal opinion! I know that dumping is allowed on some federal lands, as is #2 in the woods (rules state it has to buried!). However, as Bassdogs references, that's in the context of tenters washing dishes or back packers on a 5 day back country trek. I don't think those rules are meant for 40 gallons of the stuff. Not to mention that it does smell! That said If you could run it far away from the camp sites and let out small amounts of it at a time, it might work OK.

But the black tank? No way. You'd have to do a tote and take it to a dump station. The other thought is to find out what the rules are for tenters and backpackers in the area, simply not use the toilet in the trailer. Nail a stick between two trees away from the trailer and keep a shovel near by.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #31
Site Team

Grey water on ground, generators, guns, can I tow it, frig on or off, and diesel vs gas threads always lead to a lively and sometimes heated discussion. If it gets too heated here, it gets trashed. This one is close.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeos View Post
I see a lot of talk about battery power, but what does one do with the gray & black water tanks when off the grid?
Mike
I hope you got the answer to your question. Maybe you should have asked, "what SHOULD one do with gray & black tanks when off the grid?"

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:47 AM   #33

This happened one town over from where I live back in July.I copied and pasted the story.
Police: Man arrested for dumping raw sewage near ball fields
Posted: Jul 16, 2014 2:24 PM EDT

WATERFORD, N.Y. - The Town of Waterford Police Department have announced the arrest of a man who is accused of dumping raw sewage on a field.

According to authorities, around 10:20 a.m. on Wednesday, police received a report of a white recreational vehicle that had dumped raw sewage behind the ball fields on Middletown Road.

Upon investigation, police located the 40 foot RV on Lape Road in the Town of Halfmoon after it was followed by a witness.

Once located, police arrested Marcel Forette, 37, of Cropseyville, for illegal dumping.

The NYS DEC Police were notified and are expected to file charges in regards to the dumping of raw sewage.

NYS Spill Response Team will be responding to coordinate the clean up.

Forette was arraigned in Waterford Town Court and bail was set at $500.00.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:51 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Think some defense to "the comment", is needed. Don't know about ya'll but I was a boyscout and we were taught to use that trowel and dig a latrine when camping out in the woods. Ok that's not an acceptable approach in or near an established camping area, but if boondocking well off the grid some level of digging and dumping would probably mirror the ol boy scout training. that doesn't mean outflow on to the surface regardless of where it might go and for sure well away from a stream or trail.

I doubt that letting the B tank fly with 30 - 30 etc gallons of waste would ever be acceptable, anybody who think backpackers carry little disposable toilets are not thinking thru the real world.
Agree

Old 08-27-2014, 06:41 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adk Camper View Post
This happened one town over from where I live back in July.I copied and pasted the story.
Police: Man arrested for dumping raw sewage near ball fields
Posted: Jul 16, 2014 2:24 PM EDT

WATERFORD, N.Y. - The Town of Waterford Police Department have announced the arrest of a man who is accused of dumping raw sewage on a field.

According to authorities, around 10:20 a.m. on Wednesday, police received a report of a white recreational vehicle that had dumped raw sewage behind the ball fields on Middletown Road.

Upon investigation, police located the 40 foot RV on Lape Road in the Town of Halfmoon after it was followed by a witness.

Once located, police arrested Marcel Forette, 37, of Cropseyville, for illegal dumping.

The NYS DEC Police were notified and are expected to file charges in regards to the dumping of raw sewage.

NYS Spill Response Team will be responding to coordinate the clean up.

Forette was arraigned in Waterford Town Court and bail was set at $500.00.
He will also be required to pay for clean up..These clean up people will charge thousands....
Old 08-27-2014, 07:05 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texashighsheriff View Post
He will also be required to pay for clean up..These clean up people will charge thousands....
I have no doubt about that.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:39 AM   #37
Site Team

According to Google and Sanidumps, if he drove from the police station in Waterford, NY to the Schenectady Water Treatment Plant in Schenectady, NY, a distance of 15.9 miles, he could have dumped FOR FREE!

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:22 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
According to Google and Sanidumps, if he drove from the police station in Waterford, NY to the Schenectady Water Treatment Plant in Schenectady, NY, a distance of 15.9 miles, he could have dumped FOR FREE!
Yep.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #39

omitted
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adk Camper View Post
Hope Marcel isn't a member of JOF

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote