Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 03:54 PM   #41
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladecreekwy View Post
You keep making statements that are wrong. I didn’t miss your point. Can’t make it any clearer than that

Or perhaps from your point of view they are and from mine they are not. Are you an expert on police work? That is what the main point of my response was not NFS/NPS. I don't claim to be an expert other than working closely with them over the years. So my responses related to police procedure are correct. Again. I cannot make it any clearer. I don't care about NPS/NFS for this discussion. It was not and is not the point.

Old 10-06-2020, 03:58 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgissteele View Post
Well that's a bummer! But as for the gun, see the attached. It's not illegal to have a firearm in a national park since 2010.
Thank you for this, now I know for sure.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:04 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I have to say that this was a difficult read. I could not keep up with every detail. Not because it was long, but because it has no paragraph breaks.

That said if I understand it correctly, it was getting dark, you were far from what you knew to be a designated CG, so you made a campsite. Is that it in a nutshell? Had this been me I would have simply told him what you said happened. "It was getting dark and from what we understood we could overnight here. We didn't feel safe driving any farther".

The weapon aside, using a short explanation and sticking to basic facts, I think you would have got off with a warning. I guarantee you, and CAG please feel free to comment, that any LEO would rather you stopped in a place like that if you felt it was safer than continuing to drive. Not to mention you made an error in thinking you could camp there, you genuinely thought you could. LEO's can be sympathetic if you frame your comments the right way.
No, while we were tired, and it was getting later, I was well aware that there were camp grounds not far ahead of us. We had planned to stay at an rv park south of Jackson, in Aspen. I wasn't gonna lie to them. I am always on the lookout for small offshoot roads, in hopes of finding an unoccupied, secluded camping spot to boondock. That's the truth, and that's what I always go with.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:10 PM   #44
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloDuc View Post
Thank you for this, now I know for sure.

Keep in mind too that when you are stopped, if you have a gun open or concealed it is going to put the officer on high alert. Some may ask to keep it in their possession during the contact. Some may not. If it is concealed, say so, and clarify that you are either a CC permit holder, or in some states like Arizona CC it is legal without a permit but let him/her know you have a gun.

While hunting Kofa NP the ranger there asked for my rifle every time she stopped me and that was about 5 times. I was on an ATV and it has to be unloaded. Maybe a little over zealous but that's fine she has a job to do and I have no problem complying.

I have been stopped for minor traffic infractions over the years and I have never badged anyone. My response to the officer telling me what I did was, you're right and I simply had my head up my xxx. I have never received a cite with that response. Argue and you probably get to continue the argument in court later.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:19 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Keep in mind too that when you are stopped, if you have a gun open or concealed it is going to put the officer on high alert. Some may ask to keep it in their possession during the contact. Some may not. If it is concealed, say so, and clarify that you are either a CC permit holder, or in some states like Arizona CC it is legal without a permit but let him/her know you have a gun.

While hunting Kofa NP the ranger there asked for my rifle every time she stopped me and that was about 5 times. I was on an ATV and it has to be unloaded. Maybe a little over zealous but that's fine she has a job to do and I have no problem complying.

I have been stopped for minor traffic infractions over the years and I have never badged anyone. My response to the officer telling me what I did was, you're right and I simply had my head up my xxx. I have never received a cite with that response. Argue and you probably get to continue the argument in court later.
I always inform the officer on a traffic stop, when I am carrying. Always. This guy didn't give me the chance, lol. I handle my traffic stops pretty much as you. I always own what I'm doing, because I know I am wrong. If an officer passes me, and then turns around, or starts to pull out, I just pull over, even before they get their lights on. Have had many of them comment on this. I always let them know, I know what I was doing, and while many sport bike riders will run, I'm not like that. Ride away without a ticket 95% of the time, and I've been caught doing well north of 100 mph. Kind of a shame since I would love to frame that ticket lol
Old 10-06-2020, 05:07 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloDuc View Post
Ride away without a ticket 95% of the time, and I've been caught doing well north of 100 mph. Kind of a shame since I would love to frame that ticket lol
Ya know, don’t you think that’s a little juvenile & stupid on a public road and maybe someone’s family just ahead never giving it a thought it might be over in a minute or two just so you can frame it.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:18 PM   #47
Site Team

Thread closed.

Has become an argument about law, and is not conducive to the Forum.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
Closed Thread