Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2015, 11:14 AM   #21

My buddy bought one of these Champion's at Costco last week. I have the Honda 2000i that I bought last year. We tested them yesterday side-by-side. They were about 6 feet from each other. When in the eco mode, my Honda is just slightly quieter with me standing 6 feet from them. In the high power mode, I think the Champion is just slightly quieter than the Honda. When I say slightly, I am saying just barely could tell the difference.

The weight of the Champion is a huge difference. The Champion is wider than the Honda by about 4 inches. I like that it has wheels with a handle that folds away for storage, and two good handles on the top for moving to the back of a truck. I am short, so moving the Champion is really the only downfall that I could see. I think it holds more fuel as well, so that could be a little bit of the weight too.

My buddy has a 13.5k AC that he could run with the Champion and he could run his microwave without a problem. I have a 15k AC and the Champion ran it without a problem. We tried the AC and microwave in my trailer and I could see the microwave dim a few times, like the generator was struggling.

I decided for the price, I am putting my Honda on craigslist and I just ordered the Champion.

Note: If you are looking at the Champion in the future, there are two different versions. The yellow one has the positive and negative connections for accessories whereas the black one has a cigarette type of connector for accessories. I would prefer the cigarette type that I am going to get with the black model. The Honda I have has the positive and negative connectors on it, and I don't see myself using them for accessories. I think they are mainly for when you are going to use a second Honda for parallel operation.

The sale at Costco ends Sunday 3-29-2014 and is online only.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #22

Like WVDusty, I have a Champion I purchased back like 5-6 years ago. Still starts and runs but I use a similar routine... always letting it run out of gas before I store it again. So far, no problems.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:15 PM   #23

My Dad always ran everything out of gas in the Fall. I used to do the same. Then one year we both had problems starting back up in the Spring.

Now, I stabilize the gas and always keep the tank and system full. No problems any more. Could it be the change to E10 that started the problem? I dunno!

Its funny how different procedures work for some people, but don't for others.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:21 PM   #24

I am on season 5 with my inverter 2000 watt champion. I do 100 to 150 hours a season. Just took it out of storage and change the oil. Started 1st pull. I store it with a full tank of gas with stabilizer in it. I add the stabilizer in the fall and run it for 10 minutes. I just do the normal maintenance. Clean spark arrestor, air filter and check the spark plug. I paid $519 Canadian at Costco when i bought it

2011 Ranger Sport
brianca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianca2 View Post
I am on season 5 with my inverter 2000 watt champion.
I bought the 2000w Champion inverter/generator about 3 months ago. Just took it out of the box and fired it up last weekend. In eco mode, it's quiet as a church mouse and weighs 47lbs. I know it won't run my ac, but it suits me just fine. Menards had them on sale for $499.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:34 PM   #26
Site Team

I use sta-bil and Sea Foam in all my small engines. Crank them regularly. Run the carb dry if possible.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:16 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I use sta-bil and Sea Foam in all my small engines. Crank them regularly. Run the carb dry if possible.
I use Sta-bil also but hadn't heard of Sea Foam. Definitely going to give that a try since I just had to replace the carb on my weed eater due to ethanol in the fuel.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
I use Sta-bil also but hadn't heard of Sea Foam. Definitely going to give that a try since I just had to replace the carb on my weed eater due to ethanol in the fuel.
Sea Foam's primary function is to clean the fuel system, though it also acts as a fuel stabilizer as well. I'ts basically lighter fluid and alcohol. Personally, I think if you use Stabil, you don't need it too.

How old was the weedeater and what did the ethanol do?
Old 03-28-2015, 06:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
Sea Foam's primary function is to clean the fuel system, though it also acts as a fuel stabilizer as well. I'ts basically lighter fluid and alcohol. Personally, I think if you use Stabil, you don't need it too.

I use Sea Foam to help de-carbonize the cylinder head. (found the recommendation online... somewhere)

I remove the sparkplug, inject a teaspoon or so of Sea Foam ( I use a turkey basting syringe). Gently cycle the piston once to distribute the SeaFoam, put the plug back in, and wait for 30 minutes to let the carbon get soaked.

Then I fire up the generator. It smokes like a banshee for a few seconds, then the exhaust clears up. After it's ran for a while, I remove the spark plug and install a brand new one.

I follow this process about once yearly when using the generator regularly. I'm not sure if it truly removes the carbon, but can see that it could, in theory, work.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
I use Sea Foam to help de-carbonize the cylinder head. (found the recommendation online... somewhere)

I remove the sparkplug, inject a teaspoon or so of Sea Foam ( I use a turkey basting syringe). Gently cycle the piston once to distribute the SeaFoam, put the plug back in, and wait for 30 minutes to let the carbon get soaked.

Then I fire up the generator. It smokes like a banshee for a few seconds, then the exhaust clears up. After it's ran for a while, I remove the spark plug and install a brand new one.

I follow this process about once yearly when using the generator regularly. I'm not sure if it truly removes the carbon, but can see that it could, in theory, work.
Many years ago when I ran an outboard motor at a 24:1 oil ratio, I used to use an OMC product (Evinrude) called "Engine Tuner". It was used the same way for the same purpose. It smoked like you said, and the smoke was black. There was always a carbon sooty residue as well. In those days plugs always fouled from the oil, and ran cleaner after decarbonizing.

Today, my only OB uses a 100:1 oil ratio and I don't see the same carbon buildup, so I don't bother any more. For a 4-stroke engine I don't see the need at all.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post

The weed eater is 7 years old and although I do use Sta-bil in every 5 gal can of gas I get, this was at the end of the fuel and the gap in the seasons. I really should have done better maintenance on it but it was running fine. Something had the carb gummed up and while I got it running after soaking it in that liquid mechanic stuff, it was still running poorly. $30 for a new carb was cheaper than a new weed eater.

Back on topic... Last day of the sale is tomorrow for you guys that are thinking about getting one of these Champion gens.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:03 PM   #32

I thought for sure the sale was to the end of the month, but it is at full price today. We lost power today so I decided to pull the trigger so I could use at home in the future as we are buying a side of beef over the weekend and don't want to get caught without power. Now I'm bummed.

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
2023 F350 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7l 3.31
2014 F250 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 l 3.73 (sold)
2010 F150 4X4 Supercrew 4.6l 3.73 (traded in)
t2daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:14 PM   #33

I missed the sale in April and have been holding out to buy this generator but I wanted to have it for our first camping/boondocking trip next month.

Costco's website says it will take 2-3 weeks for delivery. I ordered two days ago and received it today already!!
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:19 PM   #34

Same happened when I purchased. Took me three days. My buddy got his in two.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:54 AM   #35

It's on sale again...
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentB View Post
It's on sale again...
No, that's not the inverter one.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:53 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse View Post
No, that's not the inverter one.
According to the web site it is:
http://www.costco.com/Champion-2%2c8...100139466.html
Old 06-20-2015, 09:05 AM   #38

Okay, Sorry! In our new mailer it is the non inverter one and just two days ago it was not on sale online!

I wonder if they will reimburse me the $100 since it's been less than 30 days?? Going to call!
Old 06-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #39

On Sale Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse View Post
Okay, Sorry! In our new mailer it is the non inverter one and just two days ago it was not on sale online!

I wonder if they will reimburse me the $100 since it's been less than 30 days?? Going to call!
They credited me the $100 smackeroos!!! Suhhhhhwwweeeeet!!!

Thanks for the heads up BrentB!!
Old 06-20-2015, 09:22 AM   #40

Sure. I'm glad you got the sale price.