Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2017, 02:42 PM   #1

Dry Camping Question

I know this has been asked a million times on here in just about every way possible....and I also realize that there's no definitive answer due to all the variables.....but

We are doing our first dry camping trip at Elkmont CG (GSNM) in October and I wanted a sanity check.

Our little Hummingbird has one Interstate Group 24, 12V deep cycle battery that's basically new.

The plan is to only use the water pump when absolutely necessary, we only use the toilet for liquid use, so we'll be using the bathhouse for everything else.

We have LED's inside, all but one are controlled from a master switch, but can also be turned on/off individually. Our plan is to only use the one LED puck light over the dinette for interior lighting purposes. No TV or radio usage.

No heat usage of any type and maybe minimal ventilation fan usage (Vortex 2 - 0.8 to 1.4 amp draw and 2.2 amp motor) for that time of year. We'll run the refrigerator on gas and all of our cooking is always on gas outdoors, so only control voltage for the fridge (I'll turn the ARP cooling fans off).

Might roll the awning out/in. Will run the slide out/in while still hooked to our TV.

I'm sure there's some small parasitic draws that I'm not accounting for.

Camping for two nights. Most of that will be spent outdoors, mostly just sleeping in the TT.

Think we'll be able to stretch the single battery for two nights if we're really conservative on power usage?

I'm trying to avoid hauling our Honda 3000w generator along if possible, so another idea I had would be to either purchase a spare 12v or two Trojan 6v batteries and throw them in the bed of the truck for a swap out if needed. We can't afford to change permanently to two 6V batteries due to GVWR limitations on our TT.

Thanks.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
I know this has been asked a million times on here in just about every way possible....and I also realize that there's no definitive answer due to all the variables.....but

We are doing our first dry camping trip at Elkmont CG (GSNM) in October and I wanted a sanity check.

Our little Hummingbird has one Interstate Group 24, 12V deep cycle battery that's basically new.

The plan is to only use the water pump when absolutely necessary, we only use the toilet for liquid use, so we'll be using the bathhouse for everything else.

We have LED's inside, all but one are controlled from a master switch, but can also be turned on/off individually. Our plan is to only use the one LED puck light over the dinette for interior lighting purposes. No TV or radio usage.

No heat usage of any type and maybe minimal ventilation fan usage (Vortex 2 - 0.8 to 1.4 amp draw and 2.2 amp motor) for that time of year. We'll run the refrigerator on gas and all of our cooking is always on gas outdoors, so only control voltage for the fridge (I'll turn the ARP cooling fans off).

Might roll the awning out/in. Will run the slide out/in while still hooked to our TV.

I'm sure there's some small parasitic draws that I'm not accounting for.

Camping for two nights. Most of that will be spent outdoors, mostly just sleeping in the TT.

Think we'll be able to stretch the single battery for two nights if we're really conservative on power usage?

I'm trying to avoid hauling our Honda 3000w generator along if possible, so another idea I had would be to either purchase a spare 12v or two Trojan 6v batteries and throw them in the bed of the truck for a swap out if needed. We can't afford to change permanently to two 6V batteries due to GVWR limitations on our TT.

Thanks.
You said that your group 24 was virtually new. How new? If it is only a month or two old and you have room, why not add a second battery in parallel?? That would clearly give you ample power for a couple nights.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
You said that your group 24 was virtually new. How new? If it is only a month or two old and you have room, why not add a second battery in parallel?? That would clearly give you ample power for a couple nights.
Purchased new in November of last year when we picked up our TT....so I guess it's really not that "new" anymore

The TT stays plugged into shore power at all times, except when in transit.

We are within 10 lbs. of our GVWR on a good day, no room for additional batteries. And no physical space for two 24's on the tongue.

Now that I think of it, scratch the ventilation fan usage. And if need be, we can go without using the refrigerator also since we always bring along our coolers.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:02 PM   #4

Might be close all those idiot lights smoke detectors ect. ect.Awnings a big draw to.We have full Solar and still take the generator.Guess its just habit!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:02 PM   #5

Obviously you can't predict the weather but we carry a 100 watt solar suitcase that works very well to recharge your battery. That could be carried in your truck bed which wouldn't effect your GVW. A second battery could also be used carried in the truck bed. If you are at gross GVW already, you are limited on options.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:08 PM   #6

I can ditch the awning usage as well.

The CG we're going to be in is extremely wooded. We drove through a few weeks ago and it was really dark, I don't think solar would do much of anything there. I have been looking for a good excuse to buy a Go Power! 80W portable folding solar kit but I'm afraid it wouldn't do much for us on this particular trip.

I can always load the generator since it's allowed from 8:00 AM-8:00 PM, it's just so tall that I can't roll my bed cover closed.....

Think I'd really rather just pick up a spare Group 24 and swap it out on the 2nd day if needed?

So now I'm down to very, very light usage on the water pump for flushing the toilet at night (which I can totally ditch that as well if need be and use a bottle of water like we do in the winter), one LED puck light for maybe an hour each night max and whatever parasitic draws are present.

During the day I could even throw the battery disconnect switch and kill power entirely to the TT, I guess that wouldn't hurt anything?

Since we have plenty of time, I guess I could always kill the shore power while it's in the driveway and let it sit for two days and see how bad the unknown draws are, maybe even turn the puck light on for an hour each evening and then see where I'm at?

Old 08-02-2017, 03:12 PM   #7

No worries we still remember the tent camping days! Enjoy
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:15 PM   #8

Quote:
I can ditch the awning usage as well.

The CG we're going to be in is extremely wooded. We drove through a few weeks ago and it was really dark, I don't think solar would do much of anything there. I have been looking for a good excuse to buy a Go Power! 80W portable folding solar kit but I'm afraid it wouldn't do much for us on this particular trip.

I can always load the generator since it's allowed from 8:00 AM-8:00 PM, it's just so tall that I can't roll my bed cover closed.....

Think I'd really rather just pick up a spare Group 24 and swap it out on the 2nd day if needed?

So now I'm down to very, very light usage on the water pump for flushing the toilet at night (which I can totally ditch that as well if need be), one LED puck light for maybe an hour each night max and whatever parasitic draws are present.

During the day I could even throw the battery disconnect switch and kill power entirely to the TT, I guess that wouldn't hurt anything?
If you disconnect your battery, your refrigerator will not function. It requires DC power for its electronics.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:18 PM   #9

We regularly dry camp in our 19H with a fair bit more usage than that and have no problem doing a cloudy 3 day weekend (no solar recharging). We use the radio a bit, and DW insists on a bunk fan at night (she is at the incendiary stage). It is less worrisome with sunshine and our 40W panel recharging, but we still get by just fine.

I have a multimeter in the TT and never get dangerously low on the voltage level during a weekend, 3rd day it does start to dip a bit.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
If you disconnect your battery, your refrigerator will not function. It requires DC power for its electronics.
Good point.....I knew I was forgetting something.

We could survive using the Yeti cooler in the back of the truck all weekend, we always take it anyways. Another option could be to throw our 34 Qt. Engel refrigerator/freezer in the bed of the truck and use it instead.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #11

In my mind, disconnecting the battery is not a good option. Seems that a second battery would solve your problem. If you spend all your time worrying about your battery condition and trying to eliminate battery use, it would make for a less then an enjoyable trip!!
Old 08-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
We regularly dry camp in our 19H with a fair bit more usage than that and have no problem doing a cloudy 3 day weekend (no solar recharging). We use the radio a bit, and DW insists on a bunk fan at night (she is at the incendiary stage). It is less worrisome with sunshine and our 40W panel recharging, but we still get by just fine.

I have a multimeter in the TT and never get dangerously low on the voltage level during a weekend, 3rd day it does start to dip a bit.
That ^ makes me think we may be OK. I have a multi-meter on board to monitor the battery with.

Worse case we kill everything and get back to our roots, only with a bigger fiberglass tent that happens to pull behind the truck

If the battery was too low, would the tongue jack and slide still operate once plugged into the TV?

Old 08-02-2017, 03:34 PM   #13
Site Team

I think you are over thinking this. You will have zero issue if your battery is good and you don't go crazy with your power usage. We've boondocked every weekend except one since we picked up our 2017 and have been fine with the single battery and we use our water pump and radio far more than what you are probably going to.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:36 PM   #14

Quote:
If the battery was too low, would the tongue jack and slide still operate once plugged into the TV?
Yes. But I'm with Ela1948 on this one. If it were me (easy for me to say), I would carry a second battery in the truck bed. That way...no problems and makes for a more enjoyable trip.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Yes. But I'm with Ela1948 on this one. If it were me (easy for me to say), I would carry a second battery in the truck bed. That way...no problems and makes for a more enjoyable trip.
So do I go through the trouble and expense of two 6V batteries that I'll only use for this purpose due to weight, or buy another Group 24 that could one day replace the one that's mounted now?

Old 08-02-2017, 03:46 PM   #16

Do you plan on dry camping often?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Do you plan on dry camping often?
Maybe a few times per year at the moment.

I do plan on purchasing an 80w portable solar panel after the first of the year for the times that we do dry camp.

I've been looking for somebody willing to trade our 3000w Honda generator for a 2000w for portability purposes. The 3000 is on wheels, but it still takes up a lot of space and getting it up in the bed would not be a fun time.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:59 PM   #18

If you keep cutting things out, you will be down to sleeping with a tarp over you. (Just kidding).

Actually, it's good to think of all the things could do without. Might as well enjoy the TT and invest in a second battery to add or swap when needed.
Enjoy the trip!
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:50 PM   #19
Site Team

The first question I would ask is has your battery ever been totally discharged? A dead 12VDC battery is 10.5VDC. The 50% battery rule is the battery voltage is never allowed to drop lower than 12.0VDC.

The reason I ask is because you are trying to get the most time out of your battery. The remaining batteries Ah's are affected by age and times that the battery is discharged below 12.0VDC and if it has ever been totally discharged.

IE: I have (2) Interstate 85Ah batteries that came with the TT (2012- not in the TT since SOLAR added in 2012) and they have never had the voltage drop below 12.0 VDC. They still hold a charge, show 13.2 Float, will sit for a few months at 12.8VDC, so they look good. I performed an industry standard test on them and after all this time they only have 40Ah left (20Ah useable). So if they may have lasted 3 days new, they would probably not even make it through a night without dropping below the 12.0 VDC voltage.

When you arrive at your camp site, leave the TV (running) hooked up to the TT and set up the TT, put out your awning, use your tongue jack, and put out your slide. This way there is no or very little discharge to the TT battery.

Check your battery water level, fill with distilled water if needed. Make sure you are starting with a FULLY charged battery. Personally, I would not connect a new 12 volt battery in parallel with the existing battery. The older battery will drag the newer battery down to its level in a short time.

Do you have a Digital Voltage Display? This way you can keep an eye on the battery voltage and shut everything down when it hits 12VDC. Something like the one below.

As for TT weight issue and 2 batteries, can you get the batteries, mount them on the TT and take something out of the storage compartments and put it in the bed of the truck while traveling. Just a thought.

You can always hook up your TT and put some charge back into the battery in the morning and evening.... like topping it off.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
ELECTRONICS - 12VDC Voltage Display.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:25 PM   #20

To my knowledge the battery has never been run down. The only time it's really even been used is whatever draw on it while driving down the road, otherwise it's always been hook to shore power. But that's probably taken up by the TV charging system.

I actually have that exact voltage display that's shown above, as well as a Fluke multimeter.

I was thinking more along the lines of swapping batteries if the primary got ran down too low, but I could start the TV as well. Wasn't really sure how efficient charging from the TV would be. Not sure what the alternator output is on the TV, but I'd guess it's fairly stout since it has dual batteries.

There's really nothing heavy enough to remove from the cargo hold. We only had 580 lbs of payload capacity in the TT on day one so that didn't last long.