Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2020, 04:37 AM   #1

External disconnect switch PD 4045

Hi
I’m prepping for using an inverter for AC power and need to install an “External disconnect switch” to cut off the loop back to batteries.
My TT has the PD4045 converter which has a jumper from “Battery Pos/BLK (+)” to “POS/DC DISC (+)”. This is the jumper I need to remove and replace with a switch. I’m going to keep it simple for now and opt for a manual switch.
I’m sure others have done this so here are my questions (thanks in advance for any guidance)
1- how and where did you mount the switch.
2- what type of switch did you install.
3- can you provide manufacturer and sourcing of your switch.
4- any other advice would be appreciated

Thank you
Bruce
BeGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:10 AM   #2

Well I guess I may be doing this for the first time as unfortunately there were no suggestions from here. I’ll update this with my results once I install this setup in case others want to do this.

My situation:
I will be running an inverter which I will plug in my shore power cord into for the AC. Given that the PD4045KA power centre also charges my batteries this would end up with a loop ie. battery to inverter to converter to battery which I need to break. I already have a disconnect switch at the battery which would break the loop but I want to have the prewired solar panel circuits supply power to the battery while I’m using them. Hence why I want to try the PD4045 external DC disconnect switch / jumper substitution. If this works the way I think with the disconnect switch open no charge current will go to battery from the PD4045 but my 12 VDC buss will be powered up in the trailer and my ‘loop’ will be broken.

My solution (hopefully):
I’m removing the PD4045 jumper and substituting a manual battery disconnect switch. I’m not sure how much current flows to the battery from the PD4045 so wiring in a 30amp DC breaker and will use 10 awg wire. Fingers crossed and I’ll let you know good or bad!
Old 10-19-2020, 09:33 AM   #3

Solved

WELL THAT DIDN’T WORK lol.
As mentioned in my ‘solution’ above: I wired in a battery disconnect switch in place of the PD4045 OEM jumper (from BATTERY POS/BLK (+) to POS/DC DISC (+) ). All that did was disable DC output from power centre into my TT.

The solution that worked was simple and should have been obvious but I got rabbit holed by the ‘external DC disconnect switch’ reference on pg.2 of the above Guide ... but I did learn what the jumper does and was able to use the battery disconnect switch installed in the first failed attempt.

The solution that WORKED: First I replaced the jumper so all was stock again. Then I disconnected and pulled the battery POS (+) lead out the back of the PD4045 and wired it, via a terminal strip, to one terminal of the now installed battery disconnect switch. The other terminal of the battery disconnect switch was connected to the terminal the battery POS (+) lead was removed from ie. BATTERY POS/BLK (+). This effectively put the battery disconnect switch in the battery positive wire so it could be ‘opened’. Now I can plug in my shore power line directly into my inverter and not have a loop back to the batteries. Whilst concurrently charging the batteries via solar.

I used 8 AWG wire as it is rated for 50 amps and the PD4045 max output is 45 amps so no breaker was wired in.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:00 AM   #4

I used an automatic transfer switch to avoid manually switching between power sources because Imma lazy SOB.

Same results, same "rabbit holing" until I finally found a solution. Same converter (PD4045KA), Go Power! TS-30 30 Amp Automatic Transfer Switch, 200 Ah LiFePO4 battery, 3 kW inverter.

The inverter and shore power are wired separately to the transfer switch; the PD4045KA's converter is also wired to the transfer switch, sharing the connection with shore power. Thus, the transfer switch controls battery charging when on shore power; otherwise, the battery is charged via solar charge controller + solar, and we avoid the nasty feedback loop.

The transfer switch controls energy to the RV, but in an automated fashion. Only shore power is plugged-in at the 30A TT-30 receptacle; the inverter is *always* connected, and the transfer switch monitors the power being fed through it and disconnects the inverter when shore power becomes active.

Hope this helps!

-Bob K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeGin View Post
WELL THAT DIDN’T WORK lol.
As mentioned in my ‘solution’ above: I wired in a battery disconnect switch in place of the PD4045 OEM jumper (from BATTERY POS/BLK (+) to POS/DC DISC (+) ). All that did was disable DC output from power centre into my TT.

The solution that worked was simple and should have been obvious but I got rabbit holed by the ‘external DC disconnect switch’ reference on pg.2 of the above Guide ... but I did learn what the jumper does and was able to use the battery disconnect switch installed in the first failed attempt.

The solution that WORKED: First I replaced the jumper so all was stock again. Then I disconnected and pulled the battery POS (+) lead out the back of the PD4045 and wired it, via a terminal strip, to one terminal of the now installed battery disconnect switch. The other terminal of the battery disconnect switch was connected to the terminal the battery POS (+) lead was removed from ie. BATTERY POS/BLK (+). This effectively put the battery disconnect switch in the battery positive wire so it could be ‘opened’. Now I can plug in my shore power line directly into my inverter and not have a loop back to the batteries. Whilst concurrently charging the batteries via solar.

I used 8 AWG wire as it is rated for 50 amps and the PD4045 max output is 45 amps so no breaker was wired in.
sTv0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:42 AM   #5

Simpler solution if manual transfer acceptable

I realize now all I had to do to prevent a closed loop from converter to battery while on solar, with my inverter supplying AC, was open the breaker supplying the converter. No wiring changes needed. Batteries supply trailer with DC and inverter provides AC with closed loop broken by opening converter breaker.

Bob. .. thanks for automatic transfer suggestion. I’m ok with manual transfer at the moment but will keep your post for potential improvement in the future

B
Old 07-20-2021, 12:41 PM   #6

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeGin View Post
I realize now all I had to do to prevent a closed loop from converter to battery while on solar, with my inverter supplying AC, was open the breaker supplying the converter. No wiring changes needed. Batteries supply trailer with DC and inverter provides AC with closed loop broken by opening converter breaker.

Bob. .. thanks for automatic transfer suggestion. I’m ok with manual transfer at the moment but will keep your post for potential improvement in the future

B
You're welcome!
sTv0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch battery disconnect