Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #21

No Box But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Good morning all,

As a winter project, I am thinking of setting up a generator mounting system for my truck bed. This may or may not include buying a new generator/generators, but that's not the subject of my questions.

I'm looking for thoughts on mounting generator boxes in the bed of my truck or possibly one of those slide out bed rack systems to mount my generator on. Couple of things I want to accomplish here. First, we are boondocking almost all of the time. I would love to be able to run my generator without pulling it out of the bed all the time. Second, I am looking for some way of securing them from theft.

Is anyone using a similar setup? Are you running a ground down from the bed to the ground when in use? Any suggestions on commercially available generator security boxes?

Thanks in advance
Midnightmoon,
I load my Harbor Freight 3500i inverter generator into the back of the truck and tie it down to the Chevy's built in tie down nearest the tailgate with a plastic coated steel cable & padlock. I bought both cable & padlock at local Walmart. Look in bicycles for the cable and hardware for the padlock. The generator is about 100#'s, so I don't generally remove it from the truck at the campground to operate it. My truck bed has a rubber mat and it absorbs most of the generator vibration. I have a ladder rack on the truck to carry the canoe, so I make a tarp tent with the rack to cover the genny if the weather is wet.

Having been a victim of theft multiple times in the past, I always find ways to lock up items. The locks will only protect you from honest people and slow down the crooks a little bit.

I use a ground to neutral plug bonding plug on the generator and never bother with ground rods and a grounding system.

Good Camping Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 Jay Raven; Predator 3500i - We call Home Pearl River, Louisiana - edge of the Honey Island Swamp
IMG]https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/customavatars/avatar39547_3.gif[/IMG]
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:33 PM   #22

Generator Boxes

Here are some generator boxes that are specifically built to be bolted down and the generator to run while in the box. Pricey but seems to be a well designed box with security in mind.

https://www.rvgeneratorbox.com/
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:16 PM   #23

yes I will when everything is installed, prob about 2 weeks from now..im going to do a walk around vid of the whole trailer and truck..
Boondocjayco is offline   Reply With Quote