Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2017, 05:41 AM   #1
Site Team

Generator Box or Mounting System?

Good morning all,

As a winter project, I am thinking of setting up a generator mounting system for my truck bed. This may or may not include buying a new generator/generators, but that's not the subject of my questions.

I'm looking for thoughts on mounting generator boxes in the bed of my truck or possibly one of those slide out bed rack systems to mount my generator on. Couple of things I want to accomplish here. First, we are boondocking almost all of the time. I would love to be able to run my generator without pulling it out of the bed all the time. Second, I am looking for some way of securing them from theft.

Is anyone using a similar setup? Are you running a ground down from the bed to the ground when in use? Any suggestions on commercially available generator security boxes?

Thanks in advance
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:26 AM   #2

I only use my 2KW Generator to power up my trailer on-board Converter/Charger to re-charge my battery bank each morning when allowed to run my generator. This takes around three hours of generator run time to get from my 50% charge state to its 90% charge state.

We use just about everything on the POPUP except the Air conditioner and high wattage microwave when we are camping off-grid. My battery bank will run all of the items we like to use and drop down to around 12.0VDC by 8Am the next morning when we want to re-charge it all back up to the 90% charge state.

My 2KW Honda small generator sits secured with a steel cable in the tailgate corner of my truck bed. My truck bed is covevered with one of those FOLD-A-COVER bed covers and is lockable.

When being used I just pull out my 2KW onto the truck tail gate and use. I do not run the generator frame round to earth ground but could be done I guess...

Been doing this since 2009 with my setup.

I have never had any issues with theft with the idea if it is out of sight it is safe.

Roy's image

My F150 truck looks like this photo with truck closed up and locked.

Google Image

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
Site Team

Thanks. I hadn't considered a locking tonneau cover. That is one possible option.

I was originally thinking of mounting it on the rear bumper of my trailer. But 2 things are holding me back. First, this new one is a bunkhouse. I don't like the idea of the exhaust being that close to the kids bunk area. Secondly, my trailer is already very rear heavy due to its layout. I hesitate to add anything additional back there. I already struggle getting enough tongue weight.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Thanks. I hadn't considered a locking tonneau cover. That is one possible option. We have a soft, rollup tonneau. The generator is quiet and out of sight.

I was originally thinking of mounting it on the rear bumper of my trailer. But 2 things are holding me back. First, this new one is a bunkhouse. I don't like the idea of the exhaust being that close to the kids bunk area. Secondly, my trailer is already very rear heavy due to its layout. I hesitate to add anything additional back there. I already struggle getting enough tongue weight. IMO, both are excellent reasons!
We have a Champion 3100 inverter generator that I strap into the pickup bed, between the right wheel well and the tailgate. We drop the tailgate and run it in the bed in that position. We close the tailgate when the generator isn't running. I haven't felt the need (yet?) to use a security cable.

We have run the generator primarily in 'economy mode' with the tonneau cover closed to charge our 2 batteries. It will run the air conditioner, but at those higher loads I'm not sure if it would get sufficient cooling under the closed tonneau.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #5

Generators are much quieter when they are sitting on the ground. That's the only way I use mine.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:45 AM   #6
Site Team

Thanks for the ideas so far. Please keep them coming.

I've always run mine on the ground also. But the fun of dragging that thing in and out of my bed is waning with each passing year. I'm also very concerned with theft at this point, especially if I end up purchasing a new generator/generators this winter. Unfortunately, the drug epidemic in our area tends to lead to things that aren't bolted down and out of sight tending to disappear.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:06 AM   #7
Site Team

This or something similar mounted in my truck bed is what I was looking at if I decide to go to a smaller generator.

www.rvgeneratorbox.com

Old 10-18-2017, 10:06 AM   #8

Tool box

A few years ago I almost bought a cross bed aluminum toolbox that was designed to hold a generator in approximately half of the box - but ultimately didn't want to loose the tool storage capacity so just used locking cable in bed - I'm sorry that I don't remember the brand

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:18 PM   #9

I store my gen on a rolling scissor lift. Roll it out to the truck slide it into the bed when I get home sold of off and roll it back in the garage so I don't have to lift it.

When in the truck I use a security cable to one of the steel tie downs in the bed. My truck is on 35s with a full size spare carrier in the bed so a hard tonnoe cover won't work for me. I have a cover for the gen for weather and just use it to charge the battery bank for a few hours since I installed a 30amp Iota charger. Works well for me.
Promod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:34 PM   #10

I load and unload my generator from the basement of my camper with a winch.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:26 PM   #11

Here is my setup on the 16XRB:
Sportsman Generator Setup – Texan Traveler
Mind you I installed the SafetySturts after the first trip, not because I saw any issues, I just felt better knowing that my generator wouldn't be dragging along behind me due to a failure (think about the scene in National Lampoons Vacation)
bwft57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:03 PM   #12

I like my generator as far from the camp as possible so I don't have to listen to it. When it's behind a tree and on eco mode I can even hear it most of the time.... 150' green cord helps...

TheIronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:39 PM   #13

I don't run it on the bumper, it is only securely mounted there.
I to run it as far from the camper as possible, but there is a fine line in the cord you use. I have 30ft built into the trailer, and another 25ft extension for the 30A.
I would not run it farther than this, due to line loss, and possible heat on the cord.

You need to send that picture into Honda....that is magazine material.
bwft57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanTraveler View Post

You need to send that picture into Honda....that is magazine material.

I thought the same thing when I saw the pic! I thought it was a Honda advertisement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2018, 11:12 AM   #15

Last week I painted my generator to blend in with a nature better. I hated to see bright RED clunk by the campground....now I have to follow the cord to find it...blends in very well... Happy...

TheIronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #16
Site Team

You may want to paint a cable and lock also.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:47 PM   #17

I was considering putting a hitch on our 25rks and using a cargo rack to hold our generator inside a quiet box. I really am not pro generator and was and still may put a couple of solar panels on the roof. Someone just gave me a generator though so I may as well put it to use. I have all mu storage up front so don't have the same weight issues however the talk about the exhaust entering the trailer does make me want to re think that.
Cranetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:03 AM   #18

I just purchased 4 RVgeneratorbox.com. the boxes are a great setup for the new Honda EU 2200... they have a kit that will bolt right onto your trailers bumper you would just need to modify your bumper a little bit to bring it out past the bump...
Boondocjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocjayco View Post
I just purchased 4 RVgeneratorbox.com. the boxes are a great setup for the new Honda EU 2200... they have a kit that will bolt right onto your trailers bumper you would just need to modify your bumper a little bit to bring it out past the bump...
Do you mind posting a picture of the setup when you have a chance?

Old 04-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #20

We just purchased a 3500 Champion Inverter generator its heavy 109 lbs.. To my surprise it actually fit in the front storage compartment next to the batteries.We built a couple ramps out of 2x4s and wheel it right into its place. Our camper is a 2016 Eagle RSTS. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Camper.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote