Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2015, 07:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoony View Post
Why are propane generators not as popular?

Just starting to do my research, but geez... seems like propane would be the way to go. Way less maintenance (stuck carbs, old gas, etc.), you've already got the fuel on board your camper, and quieter I think.

What am I missing, exactly? Why does everyone seem to own a gas and swear by them?
Let's start with 20%-30% less power output.
Propane carbs are harder to repair and more costly to purchase.
Another load on the propane needed to run the fridge, cook the food, keep the cabin warm...
Can't refill the fuel tank just before starting up
More expensive to buy

None of these are that significant, but when you add them up, gasoline seems like a better deal.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:28 AM   #22

Ahhh, didn't know about less power output, that makes sense

Thanks
Zoony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:32 AM   #23

Propane has less significantly less power per unit of fuel than gasoline.

Diesel has even more than gasoline. But don't get me started on how much I love Diesels...

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:29 AM   #24
Site Team

If you are boon docking, propane is not available at the nearest gas station.

Propane gennys need lots of it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoony View Post
Why are propane generators not as popular?

Just starting to do my research, but geez... seems like propane would be the way to go. Way less maintenance (stuck carbs, old gas, etc.), you've already got the fuel on board your camper, and quieter I think.

What am I missing, exactly? Why does everyone seem to own a gas and swear by them?

I used to camp by a guy at Texas Motor Speedway that would bring a huge propane generator on a trailer. I don't know how big that generator was, but it was big enough for 6-8 campers (including 50 amp buses and fifth wheels) to connect to it and run everything with no problem. I'd pay him $100 for the week for the privilege of using it.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:56 AM   #26

I have the generator in my signature and per the spec sheet it uses .6 gallons of gas per hour vs .8 gallons/hour for the propane version (both at half load). The propane version produces the exact same power output as the gasoline version, it just uses more propane to do it. I have a 10 gallon built in gasoline tank and I typically see 18-20 hours of continuous run time (at Road Atlanta for a car race). A propane model using .8 gallons/hour x 7.5 gallons (a typical 30 lb propane tank) = 9.4 hours. At full load it goes up to .9 gallons/per hour for gasoline and 1.1 gallons/per hour for propane.

I certainly see the reason I have gasoline. Yes, you can remove the 30 lb propane bottle and get it filled or bring spares, but it isn't as easy to find a fill station for propane if you do need one and if you have a Class A or C with a permanent mount propane tank you have another problem.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:12 AM   #27

The only counter I can see to using gas is when its not available. During hurricane Sandy and there was a shortage here, and the few stations that were open extremely long lines the propane dealer was open and had no lines. Clearly though this was an exceptional situation - so to that end having a conversion kit on the shelf for the gas genny can be helpful.
dspeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:24 PM   #28

Consider getting a Champion 75531i 3100 Watt inverter generator instead.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
This it getting into the season of sales for Christmas - watch the HONDA site, last year they not only ran a discount but provided 0-down/0% financing AND threw in freebies like generator covers. That's the route we went ~ and they are VERY quiet unless we use the microwave (hehe).
The Honda Generator sale just started and is good through 31-Dec!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:51 PM   #30

I noticed Honda is having their annual sale with the EU2000i for $899 and the EU2000i Companion for $999 at Camping World. Just before Christmas last year we got a 2-year zero interest loan from Honda at our local Honda distributor/dealership (garden supply store). If you're thinking of buying a generator or two, on is the time.

Each of our units has almost 20 hours of runtime and we are very pleased with them so far but one of them wouldn't start after sitting for several months. I bought a bottle of HEET and poured about one ounce in the tank and it started on the first pull. That's amazing stuff. I've also started using STA-BIL gas stabilizer and have decided to run them about 30 minutes each month during the off season.

Ken

Ken

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGperson View Post
I noticed Honda is having their annual sale with the EU2000i for $899 and the EU2000i Companion for $999 at Camping World. Just before Christmas last year we got a 2-year zero interest loan from Honda at our local Honda distributor/dealership (garden supply store). If you're thinking of buying a generator or two, on is the time.

Each of our units has almost 20 hours of runtime and we are very pleased with them so far but one of them wouldn't start after sitting for several months. I bought a bottle of HEET and poured about one ounce in the tank and it started on the first pull. That's amazing stuff. I've also started using STA-BIL gas stabilizer and have decided to run them about 30 minutes each month during the off season.

Ken

Ken

Thanks for the reminder.I need to pull mine out,drain the tanks,drain and clean the carbs and and a little oil to the cylinders since I have no trips planned till spring.
WrenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:48 AM   #32

where do you put your genny while running it? everyone talks about how heavy they are. why not just leave it in the bed of the truck?
Old 01-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polk View Post
where do you put your genny while running it? everyone talks about how heavy they are. why not just leave it in the bed of the truck?
The Honda EU 2000i and companion are 46 lbs each.
I think it would suck to forget they were connected and drive away for a day leaving the trailer in the CG.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:01 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polk View Post
DW and I recently decided to buy an inverter generator large enough to run the air conditioner. It will be about 85lbs. We could 'struggle' it in and out of the back of the truck, but our 'plan A' is to leave it in the truck bed. I'm currently thinking about ways and materials to minimize the sound and vibration.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:17 AM   #35

I had to consider where i would be camping and what I wanted to run in my setup when camping off the power gird. I also had to consider where i could run my generator as it seems most places you go to will have generator run time restrictions in place.

With all of this I decided to beef up my trailer with more batteries and reduce my DC power drain as much as I could do.

Then I would plan out what items I want to run in a one day/night run off the battery bank and only have a generator large enough to operate my on-bopard converter/charger unit to re-charge my battery from its 50% charge state to a good 90% charge state when allowed to run my generator.

Later on I will add solar panels to help in this concept so that I will not have to run the generator as much for the required 3-hour generator run time using smart mode charging techniques.

The other thing I had deal with was keeping my high dollar small generator from being stolen when using it at the off-road camping locations.

These were my concerns on getting setup to operate off the power grid.

I only use my smaller 2KW generator for three hours each day when allowed re-charging my battery banks. My battery bank is designed to run all of the things we want to use when camping off the power grid in a one day/night run off the batteries.

Been doing this now since 2009 with my off-road POPUP trailer camper whic has all of the modern day items on-board.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #36

Our generator decision(s) in bold:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
I had to consider where i would be camping and what I wanted to run in my setup when camping off the power gird. I also had to consider where i could run my generator as it seems most places you go to will have generator run time restrictions in place. Us, too. We felt it necessary (and cost effective) to buy a generator for those reasons PLUS be able to run the air cond. We may be volunteer National Forest CG hosts in AZ this summer and may be some other place next year. A generator was really our 'Plan B' that we felt we had to start with 'just in case.'

With all of this I decided to beef up my trailer with more batteries and reduce my DC power drain as much as I could do. Us, too. We can go 4 days on 2 group 24 batteries without them going below 12.4volts.

Then I would plan out what items I want to run in a one day/night run off the battery bank and only have a generator large enough to operate my on-bopard converter/charger unit to re-charge my battery from its 50% charge state to a good 90% charge state when allowed to run my generator.

Later on I will add solar panels to help in this concept so that I will not have to run the generator as much for the required 3-hour generator run time using smart mode charging techniques. We plan to go this route, too.

The other thing I had deal with was keeping my high dollar small generator from being stolen when using it at the off-road camping locations. Yup. Another reason to have the generator out of view and stay secured in the truck bed.

These were my concerns on getting setup to operate off the power grid.

I only use my smaller 2KW generator for three hours each day when allowed re-charging my battery banks. My battery bank is designed to run all of the things we want to use when camping off the power grid in a one day/night run off the batteries.

Been doing this now since 2009 with my off-road POPUP trailer camper whic has all of the modern day items on-board.

Roy Ken
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:02 PM   #37

My Honda EU6500is sits at the left rear corner of my camper when I use it. I carry it in the basement. I use a winch to load and unload it.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:58 PM   #38

We're planning on almost always being off grid.We plan a Death Valley visit and we will want to run the A/C. We need 3000 watts for start up. Like others we do not plan on leaving the generator set up in camp while we are off hiking or on a two week kayaking backcountry trip. So portability is an issue. We felt that in exchange for a weight savings ( though not a money one) two little gennys were better than one bigger backbreaking one in our old age.

Usually we don't camp in serviced sites. Never thought about stealing in campgrounds; good point. It used to happen in ice storms around here with small gennys visible from the street. I don't think anyone is stealing our 15,000 KW home genny. Its mounted in cement.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:00 PM   #39

Yamaha EF 2400ishc

I have a Yamaha EF 2400ishc inverter which I bought in 2013. It will run my 13.5 btu ac very quietly and efficiently . It's manageable to lift (70lbs) and fits under the roll top in my truck.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sold (TV-2004 1500 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab Off Road 4x4 5.3L, 4:10 tow package)
Proffessional series 1200 lb wdh
Yamaha EF2400ishc inverter
Lorne
Silverado04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:54 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado04 View Post
I have a Yamaha EF 2400ishc inverter which I bought in 2013. It will run my 13.5 btu ac very quietly and efficiently . It's manageable to lift (70lbs) and fits under the roll top in my truck.
This one would also be my pick for manageable weight, and the ability to run a 13.5k A/C under any conditions.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best brand generator, best option, costco, worst brand, worst generator