Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Camping and RV'ing > Boondocking

Old 10-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #11

So - late change in plan. I am going to take the PA Turnpike (476 - NE Extension) to 80 West to hopefully avoid some of the 322 mountain climbs - if anyone has an opinion on that, I'm open to hearing them (especially if I'm not avoiding anything). This is also in part because of the ease of use at the Flying J (I-80 and Exit 173) 5609 Nittany Valley Drive
Mill Hall, PA 17751. It seems like it is the last 25 miles where the hill climbing comes in but I do know that traffic on 322 can be a hassle. They definitely have the water fill station as well so I am traveling a few more miles in hopes of lesser grades on the interstates. If I had a newer diesel rig, it would be a concern - maybe by next year I'll have the temps under control.

oceanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
Site Team

Sorry, for some reason I missed seeing your posting #10.

Anyway, there's not much I can say about your new routing except that it will be longer. However, if it makes it easier on the Suburban, it's probably the route to take.

My DW was attending a conference at State College when we camped there in July of 2012. They had just removed Joe Paterno's statue. All that remained was a pile of dirt. How sad.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT -- 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!
FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #13

I'm okay with the 40 extra miles - sometimes it ends up saving you time in the long run. My sister just made the run and what shows as a 3 hour trip took them 4 (not towing anything). from my home to Beaver Stadium shows 2:45 with an unfriendly towing route so I am fine with an extra 40 miles of highway travel. I wanted to make that decision when we went to the LL World Series but opted to pull the hills and while I was fine temperature wise, it took the added time that I would have used on the interstate. Sounds like the same difference, but I just got the tune and that actually caused temps to spike again - the truck used to cut fuel due to temp which helped to keep temps down. I just put a bunch of money into the 96 burb so I need it to be my rig for a while. If only I could squeeze 6 kids and a hottie in a pick-up. They need to design a stacked car seat for little ones I was a bit nervous for a while - which was why I started the thread. Now that a few decisions are made, I'm actually excited! LMK when you want to unload the Sierra - by then, maybe I'll be traveling with 6 (if you have the front bench) - lol.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #14

The conclusion

To finalize this thread - I did take a longer mileage route by taking the PA Turnpike (Northeast Extension rt476) to Route 80 west. It was a very easy travel route for towing as the only long climb that I slowed to 55 mph was on the turnpike and temperatures stayed within my comfort range. We stopped at a Flying J/Pilot prior to the one at the 173 Exit off 80 and they had someplace to fill the water. When you gotta go, you gotta go and figured I'd kill 2 birds with 1 stone. This Flying J did not have an RV Dump station.

The wait to get into the RV lot was unbelievable as we were in a line for maybe 3 hours and then sent to an alternate lot anyway. I'm told the wait is typically closer to 1/2 hour... As soon as we got set-up, everyone and their mother had generators going. Next time, I'm bringing the generator. I was luck enough to trade a 5 gallon portable clean water can for an extension cord to someone's beautiful RV to keep me powered through all day Saturday (thanks Dave). I would have run out of battery storage (due to the radio playing for entertainment) without the corded power.

Now - to the game - maybe the best college football game I have seen. Maybe not the best played but the overall excitement. I didn't leave my seat from the time of kick-off until probably 1/2 hour after the game. The weather ended up being very nice and had a great weekend even though we didn't leave the RV lot. Even the Michigan fans in the lot were very friendly and courteous. Can't wait to do it again!

The drive home we stopped at the Flying J/Pilot at the 173 exit off 80 as they have 3 RV lanes for fueling and Sanitary Dump station - $5 with RV Card - if you don't have one, just ask them for it and save yourself the extra $5. I didn't see anywhere to fill for potable water but I didn't look beyond the RV lanes. At the Flying J we stopped at on the way up, the person specifically asked if I needed potable water and pointed me to the correct spigot.

I just figured I would post the conclusion in hopes to help someone heading to the game in the future and possibly wondering...

Happy Camping,
Bob