Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Camping and RV'ing > Boondocking
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2017, 04:44 AM   #21

UPDATES:: purchasing 2000w inverter generator---

So,
It's been awhile, thanks again for all replies!
I've had a few set backs getting my TT ready to go, and also with our upcoming planned Yellowstone trip, mainly with my house sitter confirming , then changing dates- which messed up YS reservations--- looks like I will be boondocking in the Gallatin National Forest.... & Still trying to figure out Zion.
But moving on

Happy to report I was able to return my incredibly *Heavy* (I couldn't lift it!!) & Louder than I realized, Champion 4000W/3500w generator!

I took everybody's advice here and finally decided on the Champion 73540i 2000w inverter generator--- it is comparable in weight and decibels to the Honda and Yamaha ---but oh my goodness so much cheaper! ($450!)
While 1700w running won't power my AC, it'll power a fan and because our dates are all pushed back, most likely it will be running a heater!

I do want to be a good campground neighbor, so I like that this is much quieter, but there's also the fact that I can actually lift this one up!
Also with the vented gas cap apparently people have reported that with it in the off position they've been able to take it in their vehicle or RV without fumes... So I'm happy about that. I also got that eagle 5 gallon tank I wanted and I'm going to carry it empty on the trailer tongue next to the 20 lb propane tank.

*I also like that this particular model is all black, which I feel will blend in more, but it also includes a 12-volt cigarette lighter type port (vs a 12v outlet- which I have no use for) with battery charging cables supplied, as well as a USB adapter. As I have a lot of different things that can be plugged into that port to charge, I will definitely get more use out of this type.

**Here is a description of it if anybody's interested:

The Champion Power Equipment 73540i gasoline powered, portable inverter generator is powered by an 80cc Champion single cylinder, 4-stroke OHV engine that produces 2000 max watts. With a 1 gal. fuel tank this unit can run up to 9.5 hours at 25% load. Our OHV engine is equipped with a low oil shut-off sensor and designed for long life and easy maintenance. This unit also contains true sine wave inverter technology making it safe to power all of you sensitive electronic devices. This unit is ideal for camping trips, hunting, traveling, tailgating, and light jobs around the house.
Features:

2000 max watts
1700 rated watts
12V DC automotive style outlet
Dual port (2.1A/1A) USB adapter
True sine wave inverter technology
Economy mode to save fuel
Overload protection
120V AC load
12V DC outlet
Up to 9.5 hours run time at 25% load
53 dBA at 23 ft.
Only 48.5 lb.
Easy pull recoil start
Low oil shut-off sensor
Stackable design
Parallel capability
Built in carrying handle
What Will it Power?

Advanced, true sine wave inverter technology provides safe, reliable power to computers and other sensitive electrical devices. Ideal for powering a small appliance or a couple household items.

Includes:

USB Adapter
12V DC Battery Charging Cable
Oil funnel
Spark plug socket

Thanks again folks!!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

2004 Jayco Jayfeather Sport 165
2004 Lexus GX470
Sport165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport165 View Post
Hello,
After much debate, I went ahead & purchased a Champion 3500/4000w generator w/wheels.
I went with this particular model because of the price, $300, and because I want to also be able to power parts of my home during an outage. But mostly it's for camping! I want to be able to recharge my house battery as well as run the 13,500btu AC when it's 100+ degrees out.

(Before everybody jumps on me about not buying a smaller quieter inverter, I wish I had the money to purchase a little Honda, but I need at least 3000 watts for the a/c & fridge, and unfortunately, that puts Honda or Yamaha, way out of my price range.)

So the problem is, I have absolutely nowhere to store generator except inside my TT, when traveling. I realize there is the possibility that fumes may leak into the trailer, & I was thinking that I would put it into a plastic bin maybe with a piece of plastic at the top under the lid. I plan to store it under the dinette set.

This was the only choice that I could think of after much research on the internet, and it seems like a lot of people stuck in my position make this choice.
*Is there an alternative that I'm overlooking?

That leaves the gas can. I am planning to purchase a steel gas can, because of gas weight I want to go with a 2.5 gallon though I'm looking at the Eagle brand & they only have a 2-gallon. I refuse to put a gas can, especially with gas in it, inside. I realized my trailer tongue, which currently has a 20# LP tank, has room for another tank. **So couldn't I just put my gas tank right there beside the LP tank? I was thinking I could secure some kind of tray & set the gas tank on this? Any Ideas about this? (Sorry, but I also can't afford to add a trailer tongue shelf either)

I'm guessing that somebody out there, must have the same situation as me, so I would appreciate any ideas or solutions you came up with. Safety is my #1 concern and I'm already concerned about having the generator inside the trailer during travel.

I know that when I stop & set up camp I will cable the generator to the trailer tongue frame for security.

Also, I cannot use the bumper of the trailer for a hitch/ tray. The "bumper" on the back of my TT is just a flimsy 2*4 hollow 3 sided steel bar. and I don't like the idea of putting gas can back there, as I think that's almost like driving with a bomb.

I appreciate any advice or possible solutions that people might be able to help me out with. Sorry for long post, & Thanks for your time [emoji274]
6kddk

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
jjvirginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:56 AM   #23

If you find you really want to run an AC with that then try the soft start kits.

I had the same issue with our older trailer (13k AC) and bought the Yamaha 2400. It ran the AC for me, but, just barely. At the time the generator was only $100 more than the 2000's. Since then the Champions and others have come out. I'd be tempted to get a soft start kit and a 2000W generator to run one of my 15k AC units.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:35 PM   #24

Champion inverter

I am quite pleased with mine. I do not use it often enough to justify spending the extra for a Honda. I charged my battery at an idle, so noise was not an issue. We were camping with friends, and sitting in adjacent campsites, we could hardly hear the gen. I loaned it to a friend to run their A/C (his wife was ill and needed the A/C). It was still fairly quite at full load. It did, however, gulp fuel at an amazing rate. I have heard all the advice about Honda, and agree. However, I rolled the dice with the Champion and am happy so far. The true test will be if I need any repairs, which is the one issue that I felt was really a risk compared to the Honda.

I will have to check the weight, however I can lift it in and out of my truck by myself, and since I will never be confused with weightlifter, I am doubtful that my model gen weighs 99 pounds.

To try to avoid all the backlash, I commend all of you who bought Honda. It is clearly a superior machine, and I may be able to justify buying one someday.
pop up pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop up pilot View Post
I am quite pleased with mine. I do not use it often enough to justify spending the extra for a Honda. I charged my battery at an idle, so noise was not an issue. .
*****Great to hear that it is fairly quiet!

Quote:
It did, however, gulp fuel at an amazing rate. .
************ Did you mean that it always goes fuel or just when running your friends AC? I will be using mine simply to recharge the small 27dc battery, as well as running the fridge some lights and possibly a fan or heater depending on the temperature....

Quote:
I will have to check the weight, .
*****I can easily lift my approximate 50lb Champion 2000 inverter generator all by myself I'm happy to report :-) :-) :-)

Quote:
To try to avoid all the backlash, I commend all of you who bought Honda. It is clearly a superior machine, and I may be able to justify buying one someday.
***haha Popup Pilot you sound like a politician LOL
I believe that probably the Honda is superior, but I'm with you---- at this time, there is no justification for spending that extra money for the Honda,
& from everything I have read about Champion including their terrific customer service, I am hopeful that I have made 100% the right choice!!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

2004 Jayco Jayfeather Sport 165
2004 Lexus GX470
Sport165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:24 PM   #26

Here is my setup on the Rear Bumper or an 16XRB.
The pictures don't show it, but I installed SafetyStruts after one trip, as I didn't want to worry about it.
Sportsman Generator Setup – Texan Traveler
bwft57 is offline   Reply With Quote