Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2016, 07:53 AM   #21

Here's a look of the land that I own.

This sorta gives you an idea how spacious that lot is. I'd estimate it stretches onward roughly 350-400 feet. Well, a little more than a football field? However it does get slim then even slimmer the further back you go.

I've not been up there in a good 10 years. I do remember mowing that exact field and doing weed eating as a teenager and as a child that ground was used for farming. So obviously its been heavily neglected but it wouldn't take much to get it looking more lively.
kevinrbellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:19 AM   #22

Dare I suggest...

It seems as if a travel trailer may not be the right application here. Aside from off-grid, there seems to be more value in placing something more fixed.

Travel Trailer/Tiny home mitigates some building codes and taxes? However, would a simple building permit for a "shed" or pole barn (SteelStructuresAmerica) fit the bill? Wouln't a tiny home or something like this fit better?
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:22 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Z_Adventures View Post
It seems as if a travel trailer may not be the right application here. Aside from off-grid, there seems to be more value in placing something more fixed.

Travel Trailer/Tiny home mitigates some building codes and taxes? However, would a simple building permit for a "shed" or pole barn (SteelStructuresAmerica) fit the bill? Wouln't a tiny home or something like this fit better?

Fixed is just too permanent. Something I'm not entirely keen on. I mean who knows how I'll feel in 2 months once I get situated or even 2 years after being there, you know?. A travel trailer allows me to be more flexible in my options. Actually a TT allows me to have multiple choices. My family was/is too dysfunctional so we never traveled but that doesn't mean I don't yearn to do so. Also, I can't knock the shed or shell unit idea. I've seriously considered going that route. There's something really appealing about starting from scratch and actually constructing a home how I want.
But in the end, I want to be mobile even if Im not actually being mobile..

A Tiny House is something I fantasized about for a couple of years ago. Right around the the time they started to gain popularity. I even purchased $600 in raffles to win a Tiny Home. I'm still punching myself in the face for taking such a colossal risk.

I'm no expert when it comes to building codes and so forth but Im assuming that if the tags are up to date, it would be no different than me parking a Scoobie Doo hippie Van up there and sleeping it. Of course laws vary state by state when it comes to this stuff. It's nerve racking and I will definitely research this more thoroughly. Some laws are just completely ludicrous to me. States get pissed and will crucify you when you're living out in rural areas away from a grid. It's actually illegal to live in some states off grid. "Like how dare you live in that fashion!? We're gonna fine you a few hundred dollars. Confirm or die, you rebel scum!"
Old 08-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #24

I have a feeling you'll be able to do this in Kentucky. If it was Wisconsin I'd say you'd probably have to fight for the right to live off grid year round. There's a lot more back woods type places in KY. I'm betting you can only get to it on a gravel road too.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I have a feeling you'll be able to do this in Kentucky. If it was Wisconsin I'd say you'd probably have to fight for the right to live off grid year round. There's a lot more back woods type places in KY. I'm betting you can only get to it on a gravel road too.

Exactly. In KY specifically Eastern KY this type of living is very common.
Sure my limited setup may be extreme but I often see people full timing up hollows and even on the sides of two lanes. Im sure they're connected to a nearby house but you get the idea. No one, implying the law, bothers them.

I love these hills. They provide plenty of privacy, they're rich in history also. Personally I'm simply looking to live comfortably without financial restraints and remaining here will allow that.

Oh yeah, I also tinkered with the idea of building a cabin deep in these back woods. Then I realized that's too extreme