Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #91

We have a Yamaha 2000 on our 23' Jay Feather and it runs the micro just fine even if we are using electricity to heat water but it will not under any circumstances run the AC. If the battery is down to 2 bars (50%) it will take it about 4-5 hours to fully charge the battery with some lights on and the radio playing. A fully charged battery lasts us 2-3 days tops but we use our shower etc.

Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:41 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet & Marie View Post
We have a Yamaha 2000 on our 23' Jay Feather and it runs the micro just fine even if we are using electricity to heat water but it will not under any circumstances run the AC. If the battery is down to 2 bars (50%) it will take it about 4-5 hours to fully charge the battery with some lights on and the radio playing. A fully charged battery lasts us 2-3 days tops but we use our shower etc.
He has them running parallel so heís running 4000w which is plenty. Iíd love to have a pair, if they go on sale again Iím all over it!

2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:07 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
Went camping at the lake this weekend. Second time out with this TT and first time I hooked up the generator. First trip was only 4 days and I had no need to run the genny. This trip I had to run the furnace at night and ran my genny once or twice to put some juice back in the battery. The genny is a Generac iX2000. It would not run my AC nor would it run my microwave. The camp host told me he was a retired electrical engineer and he opined that the 100 foot of extension cord might be a possible cause. I use that much to set the genny out a ways form our and others peoples campsite. Its not real loud but louder than a comparable Honda or Yamaha. This morning, my battery was completely flat. The lights would not even come on and the carbon monoxide detector was beeping at us. I had disconnected the 100 foot of extension cords and had the genny plugged into the RV cord only. Still would not run the microwave. Now I'm shopping for a bigger genny. I've looked at Champion units a lot of folks here are recommending, but I'm pretty set on a Yamaha. Little less expensive than the Honda, I saw one video of the two running side by side comparison for noise level and to my ear, the Yamaha was a bit quieter at load. Probably won't pull the trigger till next year on that. I am considering a second group 27 battery to increase my battery bank.
A few thoughts...
A quote I like: "Begin with the end in mind." Knowing how much 12v power you need for how long a time will help guide your decisions. Also, ask questions. This forum has a number of knowledgeable people (I'm not one of them) regarding 12v systems.

You will need a digital voltmeter to know what is happening with your 12v systems. The 'idiot' lights in trailers really don't help much. By measuring voltages, you'll probably find that running the genny "... once or twice to put some juice back in the battery" won't accomplish what you need.

Since you've already totally drained your TT battery, it may be permanently damaged. It's not advisable to pair that battery with a new one. And having 2 batteries will allow a longer time before recharging and that means that recharging probably will take longer.

I'll also mention the OEM Wifco converter/chargers are poor at battery charging. I know mine is! If it's true for yours, too, it means LONG genny runs for battery charging.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:50 AM   #94

I had an electronic battery tester with me and when my "idiot" light on the control panel showed the battery was empty, I got it out and tested my battery before I charged it the first time with the generator. It showed the battery voltage at about 11.2 volts and the amps down to about 115 on a 575 amp battery. After running the genny for about 3.5 hours the meter in the TT showed full and I shut down the genny and rechecked the battery. It showed 12.9 volts and 510 amps. We continued running the radio, using the interior lights, the water pump and the furnace over night. 36 hours or so later the battery was completely flat. Once we got home and I plugged the TT into shore power, the converter ran for at least 8 hours straight. The meter shows full charge, and if I switch on the interior lights with the master switch, the converter runs until I shut them off. My plan for this weekend is to adjust the position of the single battery box installed at the factory, add a second box and group 27 deep cycle battery wired in parallel. I got the parts at work today. I considered switching over to a pair of 6 volt batteries wired in series, but the cost was going to be over $300 and the weight would be over 125 lbs. As it is, adding a second 12 volt adds 53 lbs and cost me $125. Kinda glad I work for an auto parts store.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:54 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
He has them running parallel so heís running 4000w which is plenty. Iíd love to have a pair, if they go on sale again Iím all over it!
You are correct, I am running them in parallel as you mentioned.

Also earlier this spring I changed all my light bulbs to LEDís, 1 incandescent bulb is equal to 10 LEDís in power consumption.

Last year I purchased 2 of the 6 volt golf cart batteries from Costco ($90 a piece).

All in all, I am quite happy with my current setup.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #96

We bought our Yamaha 2000 2 years ago and very happy with it The decider was the fuel shut off valve and the fuel gauge.

Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, portable generator