Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2020, 01:59 PM   #181

That’s a good deal. Are they actually Energizer or rebranded? Nice that you have one lightweight gen when you don’t need a lot of power.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:19 PM   #182

They are Energizers. I forget the decimal range, but very similar to the Honda and Yamaha.
RFactor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:28 PM   #183

X 2. I weighs 75lb.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:08 PM   #184

I found this on another forum. If you use your thinker you could make it work with most generators with a vented fuel cap. Just a dream for me right now.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ank-26698.html
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:30 AM   #185

We have two Energizer 2000 W portable generators. We run them together for our Eagle 317 RLOK. They are quiet, easy to operate, and light enough to carry one in each hand. At least for a short distance! We spent the last week dry camping in a BLM campground, and ran them periodically, to charge up the batteries, or run the fan, tv, or microwave. We got them both for 1K.
RFactor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:29 PM   #186

We have a redhawk and it has a onan 4000 equiped but is a bit noisy when watch tv or just relaxing with air running, so as a back up we picked up a Champion 3400 that we carry in our cargo trailer that we haul pretty much everywhere with off road toy. Works really well and runs air conditioner and most everything except microwave with air, even the onan 4000 bogs with all on and barely runs. Just nice to have a back up as we dry camp 95% of the time.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:47 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgibbster View Post
We have a redhawk and it has a onan 4000 equiped but is a bit noisy when watch tv or just relaxing with air running, so as a back up we picked up a Champion 3400 that we carry in our cargo trailer that we haul pretty much everywhere with off road toy. Works really well and runs air conditioner and most everything except microwave with air, even the onan 4000 bogs with all on and barely runs. Just nice to have a back up as we dry camp 95% of the time.
How's the fuel economy with that setup?

That's one thing that's nice about the on-board Onan; plenty of fuel so I don't have to refill the genny...

But I agree that it sure is LOUD. It'd be nice if they put out a quiet inverter generator that could be installed on-board like the old reliable Onan...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:54 PM   #188

The Champion fuel tank is 1.6 gallon and i have run it for 9 hours before refilling without it running out. Have used it in the heat of the day with air conditioner and watching satelite tv.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:56 PM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgibbster View Post
We have a redhawk and it has a onan 4000 equipped but is a bit noisy when watch tv or just relaxing with air running, so as a back up we picked up a Champion 3400 that we carry in our cargo trailer that we haul pretty much everywhere with off road toy. Works really well and runs air conditioner and most everything except microwave with air, even the onan 4000 bogs with all on and barely runs. Just nice to have a back up as we dry camp 95% of the time.
If your Onan is bogging when running one air and the microwave, you have a generator problem. Our 4000 easily runs 2 air conditioners or 1 air conditioner and the microwave, or 1 air conditioner and a hair dryer. No bogging or hiccups whatsoever. Might be time to run some SeaFoam through it or give it a tune up.

We also have a 2200 watt Ryobi inverter generator that is great. Use it mostly to keep the batteries full and watch TV. Much quieter and fuel efficient compared to the Onan.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:08 AM   #190

This is an old thread, sorry for throwing in my .02$.

I know some folks are fiscally constrained more than others, they have to do what they can, I appreciate that. Whichever gen one chooses, please look to its decibel rating. Most people camp to get away from the hubbub and noise of city life, and folks who buy an inexpensive gen that is loud as hell, really detract from the experience and enjoyment.

If you are limited in what you can get, please drop an extra 50$ and build a gen shroud to direct, and/or diminish the volume of your generator. We are all out here together and neighborly consideration and cooperation goes a long way in this world.

Thanks for your consideration.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:49 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamSpartacus View Post
This is an old thread, sorry for throwing in my .02$.

I know some folks are fiscally constrained more than others, they have to do what they can, I appreciate that. Whichever gen one chooses, please look to its decibel rating. Most people camp to get away from the hubbub and noise of city life, and folks who buy an inexpensive gen that is loud as hell, really detract from the experience and enjoyment.

If you are limited in what you can get, please drop an extra 50$ and build a gen shroud to direct, and/or diminish the volume of your generator. We are all out here together and neighborly consideration and cooperation goes a long way in this world.

Thanks for your consideration.
Great idea, thanks for posting. Question - do you have any info on just how to build a shroud? I've fleetingly thought about this idea before, but am curious if there's any better/best practices info on this. Thanks for any insights.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:11 PM   #192

A simple way to build one is just to put two pieces of plywood in a inverted V over the generator. This directs the noise into the ground. There are more elaborate ideas if you do a web search. Mufflers, complete boxes with cooling fans, all kinds of things people have done.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:02 PM   #193

I built one for my honda and it really turned an already quiet generator even quieter.

I used what I had in hand, 1/4 plywood, spray foam insulation, an old workout mat and a couple of 1 x 1's. I used the 1 x 1's to build a frame, attached the foam mat to the insides with glue and a couple of staples. The front door where plugs and whatnot were, I created a hinged door so that sound would be directed mostly down. I cut exhaust holes for the back that were large enough for the exhaust and a little bigger because the exhaust acts as a sort of jet pump for the rest of the heat accumulation. The roof was curved so I shed rain as well. Like I said it worked great.

As already mentioned, what else worked extremely well was a couple of sheets of plywood in a v to direct sound down and away.

In the future I plan to rebuild my gen shroud so that I can hang it off the back bumper on a hitch mount, keep the elements off it, and then use it to quiet it down.

There are several how to's for gen shroud ideas on you tube, some are pretty excellent too.

Good luck!
Old 01-14-2021, 11:44 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL243 View Post
Great idea, thanks for posting. Question - do you have any info on just how to build a shroud? I've fleetingly thought about this idea before, but am curious if there's any better/best practices info on this. Thanks for any insights.

Lot's of youtubes on this!

The Onan generators that come with motorhomes chips in at 64dB. Which is the upper, legal limit apparently for national parks.

But 64dB, as we all know, is loud.

Most inverter generators today will clock in around 60, 58dB or lower.
Pretty doggone quiet.

25 yards away and it'll be hard to hear it at all.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:29 AM   #195

Invertor generator sale

I was dropping off my TT at the Georgetown Kentucky Camping World for minor warranty work and noticed they had Champion 3500dual fuel invertor s for less than $800, a great deal . I bought one 2 years ago and it works great for my camping needs.
Cardfanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #196

thats easy for you to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
BTW, start capacitor is SUPER easy to install. The hardest part is actually getting up on the roof and removing the AC shroud.
anyone take a pic, for us elect challenged folks

BTY, elect = big shock, then big expense for fix what I just screwed up!
1oldmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:58 AM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldmf View Post
anyone take a pic, for us elect challenged folks

BTY, elect = big shock, then big expense for fix what I just screwed up!
There are a few good videos on YouTube regarding this installation. It's really pretty straight-forward once you know which wires you're connecting.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:51 AM   #198

The hardest part of the install for me was just buying the right connectors. I made a shopping list from the instructions. It really is very easy. Electricity is PFM to me and I figured it out.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, portable generator