Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2016, 07:05 AM   #21

CDash and BCx123, thanks for the reply.. Solar is very interesting, I have looked at the models that were posted in your threads and I have to say, that industry sure has had some real changes for the better. Only concern would probably be is getting the panel in enough sun for a day to make it worth wile. My wife and I choose site that usually are in the trees most of the day, so that would probably be an issue for enough charge time. At the site in Elkmont we were under some very large trees and had shade proably 90% of the day... and, that is usually what we look for as we think it keeps the TT cooler thru the day. But, I will start to look at the sites a little more close in out next outings and see if one could use an extened cable and place the panels in a place to get a clear space. But again, these really look interesting.

Our 2 Trojan 105's as I mentioned do excellent it seems, In the 4 days I still was holding 12.1 volts at the end, moved the slide in and elevated the hitch all on battery with no issues. My thoughts on the generator would be just to get a little more power when we want it to run say, the TV and other devices that are 120v. along with topping off the batteries.

So, I think like you folks, I'd still want a quiet generator for the times I just want to plug it in and use it for our 120v needs... The Champion is a lot of bang for the buck, and there sure are a lot of folks that have said they are very reliable. I can always start with one unit to see how much we would use it and pick up a 2nd one down the road if we found we would use the AC, but if were in the hot times of the year, there are plenty of parks we can go to with full hookups and with our SR. pass $10.00 per night won't break the bank!

My wife says, just get the Honda and be done with it... LOL, but if I can find an alternative for 50% of th cost of the Honda I'd probably take a chance and it sounds like the Champion would be a good move.

One question on the Champion, the new adds now claim 2000 watts, 1700 watts constant.. have you seen that? I wonder what they did to up the outbut or if it's more of a marketing thing.... I'll search if I can find some tests or reviews that speak to that..

Finally, I have read several reviews where folks have reported that the power side of the generator seems to have dropped over a few months.. They report that items that they originally would power no longer will power up... I wonder if that is something to do with the Inverter circuit? In reading the warranty if there is a problem you have to ship it back to their place I think in Los Angles for repair and that cost is not covered under warranty... I have to guess shipping a 50lb generator has to cost 50 - 75.00 and that is a chunk of change if you have to do it. I sent their warranty department a question on service and if there are any service centers with in 25 miles of us.. so we will see what they say when they respond and how long it takes them to respond.

So many things to think about... I have an older 1750 watt Coleman (pulses I think) generator from 20 years ago, it isn't a inverter generator but I've hooked it up to the trailer with out any issues and tested things like the TV.. I've never put a sound meter on it that I recall.. I just may do that.. the downside is it runs at full rpms all the time and that I believe would be annoying compared to some of the new ones that throttle back.

Thanks for the information and suggestions, beleive me, I'm following up on each one!
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:44 AM   #22
M&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidki View Post
Finally, I have read several reviews where folks have reported that the power side of the generator seems to have dropped over a few months.. They report that items that they originally would power no longer will power up... I wonder if that is something to do with the Inverter circuit?
I'm the one that ends up on other family and friend's power devices (usually pressure washers that sit a lot) and I see this commonly.

YMMV, but when I see this on a generator, it's due to a dirty air filter (or, in one case, too much oil soaking the media) that makes a unit run rich followed by a plugged exhaust spark arrester and spark plug.

Then there's the ever present gummed up carb from ethanol and the resulting water sitting in the bowl.

Some of these look brand new but have not been maintained properly. Easy to forget run hours that add up quickly.
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:06 AM   #23

I would feel better about the champion when I read about a food cart owner that runs it for 12 hours a day, every day, for 10 years. When I read stories like that about the Champion, maybe I would take a chance. I am sure the Champions work fine out of the box. Its how they continue to work years later that I want to know.

PS. I own a Yamaha 2400ishc and love it.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #24

If all your looking for is to run a TV and charge battery's look at one of these. I have one that's got to be 10years old starts easy and runs quite. I got the champion to replace it when I moved from Idaho mountains to NM. Didn't need the A/C in ID most of the time, NM it's a must.
https://www.amazon.com/Kipor-IG2000-.../dp/B005QRBLNW
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:48 PM   #25

I notice it does not have a 30amp plug. How do you connect to the RV?

2014 Jayco Flight Swift 198RD
2010 F150 4.7L V8
Wood Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:49 PM   #26

Sorry, I was referring to the Yamaha
EF2400iSHC

2014 Jayco Flight Swift 198RD
2010 F150 4.7L V8
Wood Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Point View Post
Sorry, I was referring to the Yamaha
EF2400iSHC
I use the dog bone type connector:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55165-P...+30amp+adapter
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:01 PM   #28

M+A, thanks for that info on loss of power, that makes perfect sense, I am guessing it goes back to maintenance good point.

33RLDS, Like any new technology it takes time to "Catch Up" , but then again, I am reading quite a few reviews of folks with Champions with over 5 years success. Honda no doubt has the upper hand on long time in the market and I admit a very good loyal users. I also have looked at the service centers for the Honda and there are plenty of them around.

Ed505, I took a look at the Kippor and on Amazon it's quite a bit more than the Champion. I find in looking at alot of the market that there seems to be quite a few companies selling the same unit under their name.. One company that promotes OEM business is Powerhouse, I think that is actually the company that built the Cushman I bought 20 years ago and it seems like they build other units as an OEM builder ... but, that's just my guess.

My perception is that Champion seems to be doing a pretty good job for folks, they seem to be getting a pretty good following even here on this forum. at 50% of the cost of the Honda the Champion sure has the folks looking at it and a lot of folks buying them and honestly, not a lot of folks complaining.

I have decided to stay on the 2000watt size unit, my wife has had 2 shoulder operations and I don't think I'd want to chance having her out of the road and damaging her shoulder again by trying to help hoist a 80lb unit in the back of the truck bed... sure, at home, I"d use my tractor to lift it up.. but I don't have that at the campsite... On the good side, one can start with the 2000 watts and add a second gen set down the road if I find it is needed.

Yea, it's a hard decision, and I do appreciate all the discussion and suggestions especially for those that have or still have both the Honda and Champion. I have watched numerous YouTube videos attempting to show the Noise difference and I'm just not sure if it is like being there myself.

I just checked and Costco isn't currently offering the 2000watt unit which is too bad, I know that if your not 100% happy with your purchase they take it back and that is a great reason to buy from Costco, I don't know if any other reseller that offers that.

So, I guess I'm still up in the air but at a 50% cost savings the Champion sure seems to be making a lot of folks happy...
Old 10-03-2016, 12:53 PM   #29

Hello,
I just purchased a Honda 3000 unit in July. What did it for me was the size of the fuel tank. I have a CPAP machine that I need to sleep with and needed a generator for a weekend trip we were taking to power it. The fuel tank will run 10 hours on full and 19 on eco mode. I did not want to deal with having to refuel at night time. Another 2 points in my decision were that if I was buying a generator, I wanted it to run my 13,500 BTU AC unit if needed and I wanted something I could get a transfer switch installed in my house and run it during power outages.
Yes the 3000 is heavy (and pricey) but I lock it in the back of my truck and I run it from the back of my truck. When I am at home, it is in my garage waiting for that day I need it so I can tell my wife I told you so! LOL
Good luck in your decision.
Matt
mherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:37 PM   #30

The 2000 Honda will run your a/c if you unplug your battery charger. I bought 2 Hondas because I was told 1 wouldn't do the job. Wrong! I don't use my onboard battery charger because I have solar, so the only thing the genney has to run is the a/c and it does it.
pacrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:35 PM   #31

Champion 2800/3100 Dual Fuel Inverter Generator

For price, convenience, flexibility, quietness, scalability, customer service, and ongoing innovation, it was hard for us to argue against the Champion.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #32

I sold 2000i and bought 2800/3100 champion and will never look back
Wife and tucker the fishing dog
starcraft69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:35 PM   #33

Haven't read all the posts in this thread, but as a retired Coastie and former boat owners an old axiom occurs to me: "it's ALWAYS better to have 2 than 1!". Should you purchase one larger genset, rather than the 2 smaller, and the larger one (for any reason at all) dies, you'll be stuck with NONE. However, if you one of the 2 smaller ones ... - well, you can see the obvious.
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #34

Cotsco has a sale on the Champion 3100/2800 right now for $699.00 which is $200 - 300 less than most other stores and, with the added 1 year warranty Costco offers is a great deal and almost a no brainier then, I see the 84lbs for dry weight and that is heavy. I have a GMC 2500 HD with 17" wheels and that makes that tail gate pretty high! I constantly have to load 50 lb bags of horse feed and that is quite a bit less than the generator. Im not sure but isn't the honda about as heavy? How do folks load these things in the back of the bed? I have seen several folks where they leave the genset in the back of the truck and just run it from there but our electric plug comes from the back of the TT, it has probably a 20' cord.. so, that would mean getting an additional extension cord to make the distance. One thing I did see, which some folk might want to check, on the Champion site under questions and ansers Champion said that you can not pair the 3100 with a 2000 but you have to have another 3100 and that may be a drawback.

I still cannot get a firm answer on what actually the 2000 unit's pared will produce.. is it 2x1700 watts? I read though it maxes out at 3000 watts. Champion tech information isnt really good... I sent them a few questions to tech support 10 days ago and have yet received any reply at all.. so that is discouraging.

Bringing up the point that 2 is a good safety feature if one dies I agree, depending on the combined wattage it could be the way to go. I also have a 15,000 btu AC so, the 3100 along probably would not run the AC for me.

2ea Honda 2000i with their parallel kit is $2100 at the best price I could find... that's alot of change to put out for 3 camping trips a year.

A 3d option might be the new 3400 watt - 3100 watt Champion which they claim was built for the 15000 btu AC with room to spare... According to the spec it is the same weight as the 3100 so, that could be something to look at if I could figure how to put it up in the truck with out having to use my tractor :-)

Just way to many options to think about.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:13 PM   #35

I've read about several people running the 15k AC with a 3100 Champion. I've personally ran both my 13.5k AC and the microwave at the same time with my 3100 Champion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
coachtcardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #36

Thanks Coach, I"ll take that under consideration for sure, I"ve seen some folks that have changed their start up capacitor for better luck, I guess that is something to consider but I'd link to not have to modify the AC.

One big problem I am running in to is that there are no dealers locally (with in 30 miles) that carry or service the unit. I went down to Home Depot the other day and they just said that they don't carry them in the store that I'd have to purchase it on line which is a real issue. I'd like to at least to be able to see what the weights are like. I'd also would like to hear these units next to each other ...

I just did a little more reading and from what I have found is that the Champion has a 1 year parts and Labor warranty, the 2nd year is parts only.. is that right?
Old 10-12-2016, 08:28 PM   #37

I'm back with more info. Getting back to my Generator search, I just read a little more on the Champion 3400 Inverter Generator which claims the 3400 surge, 3100 running watts in the same size as the 3100/2800 package. I think to be on the safe side that the 3400/3100 model would meet my needs with the ability to run my 15K btu AC with out any mods.. and, the weight is actually only a few pounds difference than the 3100. I have now found this for about $865.00 No Tax, free shipping. They list the noise at 59db which is louder than the 2000 watt models, but it would eliminate the need to buy 2ea 2000 units (at $499 ea) and the parallel cable for another $75.00

It seems like the 3400 is beginning to come down in price, I was looking at them a couple of weeks ago and they were over $1000.00

My argument to myself is with 2ea 2,000 watt I end up with a 3,000 watt running when tied together, but if I do not plan to run my AC I could carry just 1 of the units to run on the TT. Others have mentioned the 2nd one would be a great back up if something happened to the first one, but looking at how good the reliability report have been I am not sure if these things die that much.

With 1 I only have to deal with 1 unit, maintenance and fuel-ups and when not using the AC I'd probably be closer to the 25% /50% capacity there for running in the Eco mode more often.

So, I"ll throw this on the forum and see what you folks think and if there is anyone has bought the 3400 yet?

Here is the Champion page on the 3400 3400W Inverter Generator - Champion Power Equipment

One down side I have found, Over the last 2 weeks I have sent email inquires to both sales and tech support from Champion and I have received no response at all.. have any of you ever conversed with them on issues?
Old 10-12-2016, 08:53 PM   #38

I have 2, 2000 watt Champions I bought off of Amazon. Even in eco mode they ran my 15K AC unit on my 2016 Jayflight. I like having two, easier to move around.
Ltmsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:21 PM   #39

I've been lusting after the dual fuel version of the same genny. It doesn't put out quite as much power but I like the thought of using it at home - just to keep the furnace and refrigerator going in a power outage. I'm building a new house and plan to put a transfer switch and plug for the Generator just outside the back door. I'll also have propane at the new house (large underground tank) and could put a quick connect outside the back door as well.

The one question I would have (which I doubt anyone on the forum can answer authoritatively - but I thought I'd ask anyway) is - Is the regulator that comes as an option with their generators set to the standard pounds per square inch of RV regulators? IE could I make a hose to plug this generator into the low pressure grill connection on my RV?
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:21 PM   #40

Ltmsc, Thanks for the note, We have the Jayflight 26rks with the 15K ours is a 2013. So, you ran your AC with One of the 2000 units or 2 tied together?

Tags
generator, portable generator