Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2020, 04:39 PM   #1

Renogy LifePO4 batteries

Does anybody have experience with these batteries in a motorhome? We have a single Grp 24 FLA battery in our 2020 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV that is inadequate for even one night off the grid. I'm not sure I want to jump into solar right away, but I'd like to upgrade the battery system. Everyone seems to love Battle Born, but those will not fit into our battery compartment (sized for 2 Grp 24 batteries) without some significant mods. However, it does look like two of the Renogy 100AH Smart Lithium batteries will fit. Those batteries also have a communications port that can tap into the BMS info and display voltage, capacity, amperage, etc. on a remote display. I'd have to change my PD9260C converter to a lithium capable converter (such as PD9160ALV), but that also looks like a pretty simple swap. So it all looks like I could upgrade to a reasonably capable LifePO4 system for ~$2k. Could then add solar later if desired. But what am I missing? Is there something else I haven't considered? Do I need to upgrade the BIM to some kind of DC-DC battery charger? Would appreciate any guidance any of you can give. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-04-2020, 09:13 PM   #2

I am just getting ready to make a post about lion energy 1300 battery. I purchased 2 and installed them prior to going out for the last month. After getting them to 100% charge we spent 3 days boondocking. We use our lights and electric conservatively, but use one or two lights when making dinner/eating/lounging for the evening, before bed. Occasionally turn the outside light on, but dont leave it on for extended periods. Listened to the radio and charged an ipad one night. Had to turn the exhaust fan on while cooking dinner one night. Anyway, after 3 nights/days I checked the batteries, still at 100%!!! Prior to that (same trip), I had them charged up to 80% and we boondocked for 5 days at the end of which I checked and they were at 60%! They were a bit pricey, after a rebate code they cast about $900 or so each, but worth every penny imo. I am sold on lithium batteries and will never go back to lead acid. Hope this helps. Good luck to you
YelloDuc is offline   Reply With Quote