Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #1

Silly generator questions

I have a champion pure sine wave inverter generator, a honda clone sort of speak.

Do I need a surge protector?

Do I need to cut off breakers before connecting?

What is the order of operations for plugging in. I have the adapter for 30 amp to household plug as this generator does not have 30 amp plug.

Thanks for advice it's my first generator.
Episodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Episodic View Post
I have a champion pure sine wave inverter generator, a honda clone sort of speak.

Do I need a surge protector? I would recommend using a surge protector, or better yet, an EMS such as Progressive Industries PT30C. These will help protect the trailer's electrical systems regardless of the power source.

Do I need to cut off breakers before connecting? On the Champion there is a 20amp breaker located just under the receptacles on the front of the unit. Turn it to "OFF" when starting the generator and connecting your cord. After it's run for a few minutes to warm up and the rest of your cords are connected then flip it over to "ON"

What is the order of operations for plugging in. I have the adapter for 30 amp to household plug as this generator does not have 30 amp plug. Connecting should be same order as when you have full hook-up. Turn main breaker in the trailer OFF, then connect shore power cord to your adapter plug. Make sure the breaker switch on the generator is in the "OFF" position as describe in previous item then connect adapter plug to generator. Once all cords are connected and generator is warmed up, turn the breaker switch on the generator to "ON", then turn on main breaker in the trailer.

Thanks for advice it's my first generator.
See my comments above in red...
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
See my comments above in red...

Everything sounds good. However, the generator I have has no breaker under the plug.

Given that, I have been doing most of what you said. It difference I turn breaker in Rv off, connect, start generator, wait, then turn breaker in RV on. I'm assuming this is the best I can do ?
Episodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:31 PM   #4

Which model do you have - the 73536i (yellow w/black lettering) or the 73540i (black w/yellow lettering)? I have the 73540i and it sounds like you have the 73536i. They are essentially the same though it looks like the breaker on yours is a simple push to reset button under the receptacles and mine is a toggle switch with on/off.

I will say that I don't run the microwave much when using the generator, but I do test it periodically by heating some water for cocoa or some leftovers. It does the job, but it is definitely working hard. If you haven't tried it yet, perhaps flip it out of "ECON" mode. Fuel consumption will go up but it may run a little better under heavy load that way.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote