Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: oneonta ny
Posts: 533
Thanks, yeah I guess I'll go with my plan b. I ran a length of 10 amp sj cable that plugs into my gen. and the other end to an outlet mounted in the side of the trailer right next to the shore power cord. I might do the same with the inverter. Run a cord with a male from the inverter to another outlet in the side of the trailer next to the one for the gen. Then plug the shore power cord into either the gen or invert. That way I cant do any kind of accidental cross feeding or whatever.
__________________

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: oneonta ny
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
Because you only have 160 Ah batteries, its doubtful that it would require 4 hrs to bring back to 90%. The first thing that I would address is the means of knowing your voltage!! All wet cell batteries and AGM batteries are applicable to the 50% rule. Unless your present batteries are new, it would not be advisable to run new golf cart batteries in the same series as the older 12 volt batteries. Your battery pack will tend to regress to your older batteries if all in the same series. Most folks that dry camp expect to run there generator for an approximate 4 hrs a day unless they have some addition solar. At least thats my understanding. Obviously with less battery Ah, it won't take as long to reach the 90% stage. Charging batteries is not like filling your gas tank. A good converter will put a bulk charge in your batteries rapidly when heavily discharged. As they get closer to being charged, the filling process slows down significantly. The charging process can't be rushed if done properly. It takes time to properly charge a battery unlike your fuel tank.
Thanks for that tip about mixing old and new batteries. I didnt know that
__________________

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Upperco, Md.
Posts: 803
[QUOTE=sebring96hbg;329022]From my spin around the internet last week on the subject for my own install, a double male plug backfeeding an outlet from an inverter will cause problems. A search on double male plug, backfeeding, inverter and rv should provide more detail on why you would not want to do this.

I chose to buy a 10 foot, 15 amp rated, heavy duty replacement cord with a male plug and the other end, ROJ. I ran the unterminated end through the hole in the floor up front to the tongue. There, I installed a 15 amp female plug. Now, I pull the shore power cord with the 15 amp adapter forward to the front and plug it into my extension cord that is plugged into the inverter.

Before I turn on the inverter, I turn off the converter at the breaker. I had to install a new breaker for the converter only, because the outlets and the converter were on the same circuit breaker.


Surprisingly, I did the same thing with entirely different results. i bought a 15 amp pigtail that adapted to the receiver of the shore power cord. Like you, i snaked 14 ga wires down to my battery box which is close to my shore power connector. When I hooked it up, I had the same results as the double male plugs. Immediately shut down! The inverter works fine but clearly has issues when I have attempted different hook ups that were somewhat creative.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:08 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Camp Hill
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post


Surprisingly, I did the same thing with entirely different results. i bought a 15 amp pigtail that adapted to the receiver of the shore power cord. Like you, i snaked 14 ga wires down to my battery box which is close to my shore power connector. When I hooked it up, I had the same results as the double male plugs. Immediately shut down! The inverter works fine but clearly has issues when I have attempted different hook ups that were somewhat creative.

Was the inverter properly grounded? A properly rated extension cord from the inverter connected to the shore power cord via adapters with the converter and any on-board generator turned off should work, absent any overload.
__________________
2013 Jayco X23B
Solar System: Renogy 300W/Tristar 45 PWM
DC System: Trojan T-105 225 AH/Samlex PST-600 PSW
2013 RAM 1500 V6/TF8/3.55
sebring96hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:21 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Upperco, Md.
Posts: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebring96hbg View Post
Was the inverter properly grounded? A properly rated extension cord from the inverter connected to the shore power cord via adapters with the converter and any on-board generator turned off should work, absent any overload.
Yes, the inverter was and is grounded. The converter was also turned off. I even tested the new pig tail for shore power to make sure it wasn't faulty. Like you, I don't know why it shut down.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:06 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Mustang65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL area
Posts: 3,671
Most inverters have an internal cut off voltage which is around 10VDC, if your TT's initial drain is large it will trip your inverter off. Not sure as to how long befor it resets. Check your battery voltage when you turn the inverter on.

I do not recommed gerry-rigging your AC as to many things can go wrong. The first problem is that you are bypassing your AC breakers, as you are putting the 110VAC source on the LOAD end of the TT's circuit and not the SUPPLY end. More things can go wrong.

If you want to SAFELY utilize ALL your TT's 110VAC outlets there are really only a few safe ways of doing it:
..
1. Wire the output of your INVERTER to the shore power receptical and plug it in there. Then just rewire your DC controller's 110VAC souce to its own breaker. This will supply AC to all your outlets and unfortunitally to your Air Cond circuit also.. a fast way to bring your inverter down to its knees
2. An $80 Automatic Transfer switch.. takes the HUMAN intervention out of the equation.
3. The INEXPENSIVE method.. rewire the TT's incoming shore power cable to the AC controll center, as I did. Here is the link to the PICTURE
Scroll down to the pictures. I can plug the TT into either the shore power oulet or the one connected to the inverter in the front storage area.

Don
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 284BHS
250Watt Grape Solar Panel, MorningStar MPPT 60 Charge Controller
1500 Watt Ramsond PSI, 2 Trojan T145 Batteries (260Ah)
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Camp Hill
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Most inverters have an internal cut off voltage which is around 10VDC, if your TT's initial drain is large it will trip your inverter off. Not sure as to how long befor it resets. Check your battery voltage when you turn the inverter on.

I do not recommed gerry-rigging your AC as to many things can go wrong. The first problem is that you are bypassing your AC breakers, as you are putting the 110VAC source on the LOAD end of the TT's circuit and not the SUPPLY end. More things can go wrong.

If you want to SAFELY utilize ALL your TT's 110VAC outlets there are really only a few safe ways of doing it:
..
1. Wire the output of your INVERTER to the shore power receptical and plug it in there. Then just rewire your DC controller's 110VAC souce to its own breaker. This will supply AC to all your outlets and unfortunitally to your Air Cond circuit also.. a fast way to bring your inverter down to its knees
2. An $80 Automatic Transfer switch.. takes the HUMAN intervention out of the equation.
3. The INEXPENSIVE method.. rewire the TT's incoming shore power cable to the AC controll center, as I did. Here is the link to the PICTURE
Scroll down to the pictures. I can plug the TT into either the shore power oulet or the one connected to the inverter in the front storage area.

Don

I would turn off the breaker for the A/C and any other breaker for a circuit that would exceed the capability of the inverter.
__________________

__________________
2013 Jayco X23B
Solar System: Renogy 300W/Tristar 45 PWM
DC System: Trojan T-105 225 AH/Samlex PST-600 PSW
2013 RAM 1500 V6/TF8/3.55
sebring96hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.