Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2020, 10:12 PM   #21

We use out toilet all the time with out family of 5. I got a Camco Rhino 28 Gallon Portable Tote Holding Waste Tank for incase we start filling up on extended stays. Empty the black and or grey tank into this and tow it to the dump station. Much easier then tearing down camp and moving the trailer.
We have been using COSTCO Kirkland brand toilet paper and never had any issues. Like mentioned above. Use plenty of water in that black tank.

Why buy a trailer or RV with bathroom facilities if you are not going to use them?

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Portabl.../dp/B07K87FR5C

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:25 AM   #22

Wow. Can’t imagine not using the toilet for #2. That’s why we have a bathroom in our rig. If you are having smell issues figure out what it is. Common for toilet seal to stop holding water in bowl. If yours goes dry replace seal. No water in bowl means you will have odors. Cheap and easy to do. Good luck but do not fear pooping in the toilet.

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:40 AM   #23

open the lid, take a plastic bag place it in the toilet , doo your Business ,remove the bag, seal it up, throw it away .
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:57 AM   #24

We've always used the CG toilets for taking a dump. The reason is that I was always afraid of the "poop pyramid". Well, in May the CG where we went had the bathrooms closed by order of the county we were in. We simply used a lot of water and it was fine. Granted we had water and sewer so it was not a question of needing to be conservative. We're going this weekend to a place in the UP where I have water but no sewer. Bathrooms are closed there too I'm told. We'll be taking our big blue tote.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:12 AM   #25

It is extremely rare that we use the toilet in our RV. DW and I are old backpackers, so we are use to ruffing it. During the day and good weather it just a reason to get up move, and go for a walk, even if it is only to the Biffy. Once ready for bed, that is a different story.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:58 AM   #26

I don't understand the "Dont Poop in the toilet" model as with some others. I purchased a nice camper to use it. I am in the vane of getting most time possible from it. so usually DW and Friends DWs are the only ones that really use the camper bathroom except for at during the night, if we are close to campsite bathrooms. That helps us typically get an extra day or 2 without having to dump the tanks.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:32 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaan View Post
Thank you all for the replies so far.

One initial question I would have are what kind of chemicals you all have used in addition to what has already been mentioned (e.g., detergent...which sounds like a great add in)--if there are any others. I stated we have the orange thingies; to be specific: Camco's TST Orange Drop-Ins. The formaldehyde (I think that's what it was) that came with the trailer we have chosen not to use yet since a friend recommended the drop-ins instead...a friend who uses the toilet to its fullest extent.

Those orange TST drop-ins can dissolve prematurely and the orange powder will permanently stain a vinyl "tile" floor.

We use 1 dose of happy camper (the best!) plus one cup of Borax plus one cup of Dawn DW detergent. We use Sams' Club Memebers Mark toilet paper AND I USE AS MUCH AS I BLOODY WELL WANT TO. Joan empties the black tank every Sunday after church (part of the cleanse) and she never complains about (or even sees) chunks of paper.

As former New Yorkers we can take crap as well as give it and I cannot understand not using the black tank the way the good Lord intended.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:10 PM   #28

Thank you all for the great feedback and the confidence that we will do the deed on our next trip in 2 weeks!!!

In reading all the posts, I wanted to run by you all a plan of how to keep it under control and let me know if anything definitely should be re-thought. I know most of you have years more experience than we do...just upgraded from tents 18 months ago...but the one thing I've learned about RV camping is have a plan the first time for anything.

We keep about 1 gal in tank and home along with an orange drop in. When we arrive at CG we should...

1. add a few more gal water before dropping the first load

2. add chemicals daily (ideas include drop ins, happy camper powder, soap/borax, dishwater...)

3. add a few more gal when hitching back up to drive to dump station to get it moving in there

4. flush thoroughly at dump station but leave a gal (more?) water with a drop in or other chemical for the drive home
Old 06-23-2020, 07:54 PM   #29

Quote:
...2. add chemicals daily (ideas include drop ins, happy camper powder, soap/borax, dishwater...)...
I’ve always put in a bottle of the Aqua Kem treatment when first using the black tank and make sure we flush with plenty of water. No odors or problems. I don’t know that you need to continually add treatments every day. That seems overkill. But YMMV...
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:32 PM   #30
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
We keep about 1 gal in tank and home along with an orange drop in. When we arrive at CG we should...

4. flush thoroughly at dump station but leave a gal (more?) water with a drop in or other chemical for the drive home

A gallon won't do much for you, that amount will just lay in the bottom of the pipe at the valve, and won't even cover the bottom of the tank.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Thank you all for the great feedback and the confidence that we will do the deed on our next trip in 2 weeks!!!

In reading all the posts, I wanted to run by you all a plan of how to keep it under control and let me know if anything definitely should be re-thought. I know most of you have years more experience than we do...just upgraded from tents 18 months ago...but the one thing I've learned about RV camping is have a plan the first time for anything.

1. add a few more gal water before dropping the first load

2. add chemicals daily (ideas include drop ins, happy camper powder, soap/borax, dishwater...)

3. add a few more gal when hitching back up to drive to dump station to get it moving in there

Dumping tanks-

typically I will fill the tank with water using the garden hose at the house and take the long way to the dump station to get everything mixed up.
If you’re on the road or campsite you can use a bucket or hose I’m sure you can figure something out. Lots of water insures everything mixes up and flows out quickly.

AFTER the tanks are empty- prepping for use.

I just use a 5 gallon pail, and dump a minimum of a full pail of water in after it’s been emptied. I add 1 cup of Dawn and the drop in at that time. And don’t add anything else.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:55 AM   #32

Doing the TP test in a glass of water as someone had suggested and after 24 hours it looks like the standard Angel Soft is dissolving better than the overpriced Camco paper from Walmart. Can anyone convince me not to use Angel Soft TP? We noticed the Camco does not seem to clean up all that well when we've drained the tank in the past...now wondering if it is crappy TP.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:15 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Dumping tanks-

typically I will fill the tank with water using the garden hose at the house and take the long way to the dump station to get everything mixed up.
If you’re on the road or campsite you can use a bucket or hose I’m sure you can figure something out. Lots of water insures everything mixes up and flows out quickly.

AFTER the tanks are empty- prepping for use.

I just use a 5 gallon pail, and dump a minimum of a full pail of water in after it’s been emptied. I add 1 cup of Dawn and the drop in at that time. And don’t add anything else.
Key element is a LOT of water in the tank. Last thing you want is a the dreaded poop pyramid. After dumping I put about 10% of the tank volume of water. In my case that is about 4 gallons of water. I do not measure it. If there is no line at the dump station, I go in I just put my foot on the peddle, while washing my hands good. While pouring in water, I grab my Pinesol, and squeeze in a good shot. By then, I figure I have 4-5 gallons of water in the tank. Only time I do not have water in my tank is during the winter months. If there is a line at the dump station, I will move forwards before added water to the tank.

When you poop make sure to add more water down the tank. You can look down the hole, and if you see a pile, you need more water. Some people will dump their dish pan of dish water down the toilet to add water to the black tank, and save space in the grey tank. Just don't forget that missing spoon, or it might be lost forever.

When we are getting ready to break camp (we never have full hookups), I stand at the toilet again, adding lots more water. My goal is to dump the Black tank when it is at least 3/4 full. The more water in it the easier it is to dump. I do not have a black tank flush, so it is critical to have lots of water in the tank before dumping. When there is a line at the dump station, it is very frustrating for people to stand around and watch someone flush the tank, especially multiple times.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:20 AM   #34

Quote:
Doing the TP test in a glass of water as someone had suggested and after 24 hours it looks like the standard Angel Soft is dissolving better than the overpriced Camco paper from Walmart. Can anyone convince me not to use Angel Soft TP? We noticed the Camco does not seem to clean up all that well when we've drained the tank in the past...now wondering if it is crappy TP.

Angel Soft is septic safe and fine to use. It’s the only toilet paper we ever used and never had any issues...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:29 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
Angel Soft is septic safe and fine to use. It’s the only toilet paper we ever used and never had any issues...
X2 on Angel Soft after doing my own glass jar test.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:44 PM   #36
Lost in the Woods

If there's an odor in the trailer, then something is broken. The only place air should enter or exit the black/gray tank is through the vent on the roof.
On a side note; We mostly boondock, and it has always been a hassle to find a dump station in our area. This year I did something about that. Our home is on a septic system, so I cast a new concreted lid for the septic tank with an ABS female threaded adapter. Now it takes literally 2 minutes to dump the tanks at home. Best improvement I could have ever done.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:39 PM   #37

Family of 5, 75+ nights in the camper over the last 3 years. Always pooped in our potty and never had an issue. Always used Aqua Kem drop ins, Angel soft single ply, plenty of water and the black tank flush. I black tank flush until I get clean water and no paper coming out ( I use a clear 90 on the hose). Sometimes it take 5 rinses, sometimes 10 - whatever it takes is what I do. Never had an issue and gauges work.
Slurugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:47 PM   #38

One of the biggest reasons I bought an RV is so I don't have to use public bathrooms when I camp. I know exactly who's been in mine and how clean it is!
I also use the blue liquid chemical as well as Downy fabric softener or Calgon. Definitely will try the Dawn. I had my first "hose-stop-up" from using Costo Kirkland T. P. (ran out of RV tp and had that as a backup on our last day) but I took a #2 right before I dumped and it didn't even have time to dissolve. Luckily I got away without making a mess when I had to clean out the hose. Again I was lucky to have full hookup.
I always try to get Full hookup but that's often hard at the state parks. I have a 42 gal portable tote but haven't had to use it yet. Probably will have to use it this next week as we have a 5-day trip at state campground. Ours usually last 3 days before having to dump and that's bec of the grey water so we just dump both.

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:47 PM   #39
Zwa

poop

Hello, used happy camper powder. Fill toilet add 1 scoop n flush, smell absolutely nothing. Zwa
Zwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:56 PM   #40

If you're experiencing odors it might be from using the exhaust fan. You can run the exhaust fan while pooping but not when flushing. The exhaust fan will instantaneously pull black tank fumes up from the black tank even in the short time the toilet is open.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, black tank, poop, smell, toilet