Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2020, 06:26 PM   #41
Site Team

Currently using Valterra Pure Power Blue Waste Digester and Angel Soft 2 ply. We've used Odorlos treatment in the past with good results, but it became more difficult to find, so we switched.

We switched from the expensive TP upon the millions of recommendations from fellow members who did all the testing for me!! Thank you all!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:06 PM   #42

We have always used the toilet as intended in the four we have had, 30+ years with no problems. When our children were young they would both take someone with them so we would have 6 of us going. We add the aqua chem to the tank when we get back home after the tank has been dumped, never had a smell. Like was said earlier use enough water, don't leave the dump valve open when you're on full hook up, the water will run out first leaving the solids behind. When we're on full hook up sites I dump the tank once or twice depending on the length of our stay.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:17 PM   #43

Keep an inch of water above the trap

Make sure everyone knows how to run toilet water without opening the trap. This usually occurs when you depress the pedal halfway. After a flush, about an inch of water needs to float on top of the trap to keep the seal wet and lubricated. A dry seal may allow odors to escape. If the seal won't hold an inch of water, it needs to be replaced.
daveswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:43 PM   #44

Happy Camper waste treatment and couple gallons water to start and poop away. After 3 years of doing that - no issues. Prefer my own toilet. We even occasionally use it at rest stops if next stop has dump station.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:00 PM   #45

I paid for the toilet and we’re gonna poop in it. The trick is getting all the poop out when you flush the tank. I have a Valterra Flush King and obsess about leaving no turd left behind. I have a water meter thingy I connect to it and after dumping the black, push 10 gallons of water in the black tank, dump and do this until I don’t see toilet paper or anything else coming out. It usually takes 4 times. I leave the tank dry when I’m finished with this. Next camping trip, I use a small bottle of blue stuff and just a few gallons of water. We’ve used the camper about 25 times in 2.5 years and have never ever had any smells, even after it sitting as long as 7 mo without use.

I can go into more detail on the components I use if anyone is interested - basically the flush king, any water meter thingy, an orange non drinking water hose and the single use bottles of toilet treatment.

Edit: we always use rv toilet paper and leave black closed until ready to dump.
sasiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:06 PM   #46

I try to avoid all public restrooms as much as possible even before Covid, due to E-coli & hepatitis. With that said I no longer use the blue stuff with Formaldehyde due to using it in the lab to preserve specimens from surgery so why would I want to preserve poop & most importantly it's carcinogenic. I used Happy Camper & found it to be very good. I was given a bottle of Digest-It & trying it out, this too is working well so far. No smells from either one. I also believe it depends on the weather if it's too hot things tend to get stinky.
katalinakool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:20 PM   #47

Stay away from broccoli and it won't stink anyway! ��
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:21 PM   #48

No problems.

I have had my Eagle for 15 years now. I take my TT everywhere I can when wanting to travel. This is in huge part because I like my own bed, my own kitchen, and very importantly, my own bathroom! So, I have pooped in mine for 15 years now. I don’t do anything special here. I use Thetford blue liquid stuff and about four gallons of water at the start of every trip. I keep the black tank closed until I’m either heading home or it is close to bring full. Only then do I dump. I also partially fill the toilet bowl with water before I poop in the toilet. I try to use the tank sprayer each dump but don’t always get the chance. I have no dump , valve or smell issues. Like I said, this is 15 years of this. Just my two cents
Dieseldog59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:39 PM   #49

I've like the sewer caddie idea . But how do you carry the tank if my trucks already full. Sometimes my Grey tank full in 5 days on a week camp. So to dump Grey would be great. Hon big are they?
Jayv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:47 PM   #50

You get one that tows behind your TV. Handle drops over the ball... drive slow.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:49 PM   #51

you can get a little 12 gallon model that is only 18 x 30 or a 25 gal. that is 36 x 25 inches. Both are hand pull only and probably best for grey water only because of the way it is set up. Bigger ones are sometimes hitch towable at slow speeds.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:21 PM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayv View Post
I've like the sewer caddie idea . But how do you carry the tank if my trucks already full. Sometimes my Grey tank full in 5 days on a week camp. So to dump Grey would be great. Hon big are they?
They come in several sizes and prices. If your truck bed is full, and you have a ladder on the back, you can put some pieces of pool noodle on it and strap it to the ladder.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:06 AM   #53

Base your use of the black tank on length of stay, number of campers, Or how much time you’ll need to break camp and pack. If you’re short on time the black tank will consume a lot of time to clean out. If it’s 2 campers for one night, I don’t think it would be worth the effort to clean it after such minimal use. 6 campers, 3 nights, use it. There shouldn’t be any odor from the black tank, inside the bathroom. Perform 6 full bowl water flushes prior to use as this prevents solids from accumulating in one spot. Also leave several gallons inside during transit to breakup any remaining solids.
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:54 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
They come in several sizes and prices. If your truck bed is full, and you have a ladder on the back, you can put some pieces of pool noodle on it and strap it to the ladder.

Here is what I have. Love it and it has a hook to carry it on your rear ladder. I use tie down straps to tie it down. I use pool noodles cut to size to keep the tote from rubbing on the ladder.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Portabl...3953457&sr=8-1

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:56 AM   #55

The main thing to remember is always put some more water with the solids. Not so with the liquids. All RV toilets have a setting for this purpose. It's usually on the foot peddle. On some you push halfway down, and get just water without flushing all the way. Others you have to pull up on the peddle. Either way you need to use more water with your solid stuff. These toilets enabled you to enjoy camping in places you wouldn't be able to, without facilities. It really opens up the experience for the kids. As a 35 year plus RV owner, I say stock up on chemical treatment, doesn't matter which one, they all do the same thing, and enjoy life, and POOP away.
qs271a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:36 AM   #56

We dissolve 10 to 12 regular aspirin tablets in a cup of warm water. We will use that about every other tank and use the camco pods the other times. We also have a flush system on ours and will flush the tank every time we dump. Lived in our 5th wheel for six continuous months with no orders from the tank.
Brian2430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:47 AM   #57

When we leave a campsite and have dumped, we always at the first opportunity add two 7 lb bags of ice along with a dose of whatever chemical. Driving with the natural sloshing occurring has always scoured out the tank.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:25 AM   #58

My wife and I live full time in our RV. In the past we have tried lots of different commercial treatments with not much real success. A couple years ago a fellow camper put us on to something that actually works very well to control odor and make dumping easier. At the grocery store buy a box of Borax, a bottle of Calgon and a bottle of blue Dawn dish soap. Using the cap from the Calgon put one each if the three ingredients into the toilet bowl full of water. Use the mixture to clean the bowl then simply flush into the black tank. I dump and flush the tank once a week and even in the South Texas heat I have not had a problem with smell. These things are easy to find and much cheaper than most commercial products. We also use standard 2 ply tissue and when I dump there is very little recognizable paper in the outflow.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:27 PM   #59

We were in a similar camp (pun intended) to some others here. When boondocking for 2 weeks we didn't want to break camp to go to the dump station, so we always restricted toilet use to bedtime hours only. That would generally get us through, although last year I could see the tank just starting to back up to the inlet below. Probably couldn't take one more flush.

So for this year we are avoiding the public restrooms for COVID reasons. I decided to buy a poop tote. Harder than it sounds as everyone else had the same idea. Had to order 3 times before I actually got one (first two orders cancelled because they didn't actually have stock). Interestingly, last order was from Amazon and arrived quickly but someone forgot to tell Amazon and they keep sending us emails apologizing for the late delivery and trying to trace the lost package. Unfortunately, there is no reply address where we can send "we got it already".

Anyway, made it through our first outing without needing it. Happy for that because that particular campground is a long haul to the dump station - out of the camp onto the main parkway road and across the causeway to the next island over. Not sure I want to tow one that far while slowing traffic on a public roadway. But I'll be glad to have it come the next couple of longer trips I'm sure.

Only issue we've had with odor was the final day of the aforementioned trip where the tank got really full. I suspect it had blocked the opening into the vent pipe and gases were forcing out elsewhere.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:31 PM   #60
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian2430 View Post
We dissolve 10 to 12 regular aspirin tablets in a cup of warm water. We will use that about every other tank and use the camco pods the other times.
Does your black tank have a really bad headache?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, black tank, poop, smell, toilet