Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2020, 05:09 PM   #1

to poop or not to poop

Hello everyone, I hope this thread finds some takers. I didn't find a recent discussion on this (last one maybe 2014), so I'm going to throw it out there.

It seems that some people like to poop in their black tank and others avoid it...and all for various reasons. My situation is that we have 4 kids, so 6 terds (or piles thereof) would accumulate. Most of the family gets backed up when camping, so that would help the total. But still...it's a lot of people.

Personally I have no issue with camping bathrooms (or any public bathrooms (except beaches)), so we just have a no poop in the black tank policy. As newbs this also minimizes the impact of our mistakes at the dump station. BUT it also prevents us from boondocking AND it limits our options during corona, when we don't want to share a bathroom with 50 other people from all over southern CA, a current corona hotspot. Should 6 people use the toilet (as frequently as daily)??? And if so, how do we keep the aromas down. Kids are aged 10-16, so we are talking adult and young adult waste here. On a recent trip we all peed inside (hadn't done that before), and we noticed aroma after 2 days. We treated with an orange thingie, but maybe that was too late.

Any suggestions for us?? Thanks!!
Old 06-21-2020, 05:28 PM   #2

I add 5-8 gallons of water to the newly emptied black tank, this ensures the solids dissolve and mix while driving. I add 1-2 Tank digester pods plus and 1 cup of Dawn detergent, NEVER have issues with smell. If you’re getting smells make sure you’re vent on the roof is not broken or damaged. Regarding not using it or filling it up that’s why 1) you have a toilet so you can actually use it and 2) you have sensors that tell you how full the tank is.
If y’all are so full of crap that you fill the tank y’all can dig a hole...
Old 06-21-2020, 05:40 PM   #3

Lots of chemical products to keep down bacteria and smells. We have always used ours when we needed. Just add a few gallons (based on the size of your holding tank) to keep the liquids liquid and to disperse the chemicals. It also keeps it from sticking to the bottom of the tank. Remind others to use the minimum paper and some even dispose of that in a waste basket. Get a rinse out wand and use it as often as possible when dumping. Don't forget to use the grey water for a rinse agent in your dump hose. Do a little research via the research function above.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:45 PM   #4

Some black tanks are also situated like mine that allow you to look straight down into the tank with the toilet in the open position. If so, you'll be able to see any problem beginning to build up. Use a flashlight.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:01 PM   #5

I’ve never used the toilet in any of my trailers, but I always camped in places with full, clean washrooms. I’d rather not take a deuce in my trailer, as whatever you put in, you have to take out, and I’ve been told I’m full of something on more than one occasion,
Campingteacher79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:11 PM   #6

Thank you all for the replies so far.

One initial question I would have are what kind of chemicals you all have used in addition to what has already been mentioned (e.g., detergent...which sounds like a great add in)--if there are any others. I stated we have the orange thingies; to be specific: Camco's TST Orange Drop-Ins. The formaldehyde (I think that's what it was) that came with the trailer we have chosen not to use yet since a friend recommended the drop-ins instead...a friend who uses the toilet to its fullest extent.

But again, my biggest concern is the quantity of people. Anyone have experience with 4+ people using regularly?

Thanks again everyone.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:28 PM   #7
eow

Google “Happy Camper”. It gets great reviews. Due to Covit-19 we too just started to use our trailer for #2 and using happy camper. So far it is living up to the positive reviews.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:13 PM   #8

When we were kids, we camped in a 19' Shasta and used that at night time just so it would last the week ends. The first camp trailer I bought was a 1997 Coachman. The 5 of us pooped and peed in that one until it was sold. We than had a Layton camp trailer. That one was treated the same. We than traded for a Rockwood camp trailer. That toilet was shown no mercy either. Our Jayco is used just like a house toilet. Add the chemicals and just use it. Make sure you are using a toilet paper that is designed as septic tank friendly. Use it like you own it. Flush it out when you dump the tanks. We use Angle Soft paper because it will come apart in a glass of water setting by the sink at home and the package says septic safe. There are other brands that claim the same thing.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:26 PM   #9

We've camped with 4 people and there was no issue. I've used a number of the different "chemical pods" on Amazon and have not had any odor problems. If want to check your tanks, as sensors are not reliable you can either use a flashlight and look down the toiler while flushing, or turn off city water, then use the flashlight, and then turn the water back on again. If you are in a campground and don't want to pull to a dump station there are portable tanks you can use.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:25 PM   #10

We’ve used Thetford Aqua-Kem — the blue stuff — from the beginning and never had an odor. Nothing. To be honest we’ve always limited our bathroom to, um, liquids only until this year when we found some bathhouses closed due to Covid. We made sure the bowl is pretty full of water before “launching” and use plenty of flush water. One tip: Before our last trip, I wanted to make sure we had plenty of TP to take. Apparently the Covid TP hoarding also hit Walmart and RV stores. Had to go to several to find some. Don't assume you’ll find lots on your trip.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:34 PM   #11

This sorta fits in the the method we use. Most of the time we try to use campground facilities. That said after bed time we use the on board toilet and of course if there is an emergency. We try to avoid putting paper down it, but if it was seriously used for solid stuff - down it goes.
I use the flashlight method of keeping track of the tank level and will "top off" the tank just prior to dumping. I also use a clear elbow so I can track the flushing of the tank process. For chemical Right now I'm using the orange stuff from Walmart.

On extended trips I will dump a jug of Pinesol or Lysol down in addition to the chemical about once a month (when DW starts making noises about smell).
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:59 PM   #12

We don’t poop in our campers. We always camp at nice campgrounds with clean facilities so it’s not an issue. And guess what, my tank sensors work fine lol..
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:07 PM   #13

Well.. we are on day 5 in the back country and LOVING IT!. We have our "black tank" right below the toilet so that we can do what "Stateboy" says... we use our restroom facilities as they were designed - they work well for us...
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:18 PM   #14
crl

Toilet Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaan View Post
Thank you all for the replies so far.

One initial question I would have are what kind of chemicals you all have used in addition to what has already been mentioned (e.g., detergent...which sounds like a great add in)--if there are any others. I stated we have the orange thingies; to be specific: Camco's TST Orange Drop-Ins. The formaldehyde (I think that's what it was) that came with the trailer we have chosen not to use yet since a friend recommended the drop-ins instead...a friend who uses the toilet to its fullest extent.

But again, my biggest concern is the quantity of people. Anyone have experience with 4+ people using regularly?

Thanks again everyone.
My DW and I use the toilet when ever needed for both functions. Just always soma good clean out when visiting the dump station. Fortunately our TT has a black water flush that helps with the clean out. Also as a side note, we have had a problem with the drop in pack covers devolving while in storage and making a slight mess. We changed over to the liquid additive and have had no further issues.

Only problem I see with multiple people using the facilities is the need to dump your black water more frequently. You might find a sewer caddy comes in handy when camping without sewer hook up. Agree with the comment about saving your grey water to flush the sewer hose.
crl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:41 PM   #15

Simplest solution, campgrounds with full hookup!

Water, Electric and Sewer!

Poop tank gets full, just empty it.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:34 AM   #16

Poop.... you spent +/- $25k for a self contained unit, get your money’s worth!

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 04:38 AM   #17

Family of 5. Kids aged 10-16. We travel cross country as well as weekend camp. All 5 of us use the toilet, no issues. Typically have to dump once every 5 days. Never had odor issues.
Use plenty of water and septic safe TP.
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:49 AM   #18

We are a family of 5 - Kids are 26 - 24 - 20 - one of the key reasons we have a camper is having our own bathroom. We only have the "if it doesn't come out of your body and its not toilet paper" it doesn't go into the toilet.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:20 PM   #19

Of course you poop in a camper. Otherwise buy yourself a tent. I have never had an odor issue, ever.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:47 PM   #20

I’ll never understand buying a camper with a toilet and not using it. We regularly use our toilet exclusively when at campgrounds or boondocking. 2 adults, 2 kids and never an issue. Use plenty of water like mentioned above, in fact use a small tray/tote that fits inside your sink to wash dishes then dump your soapy dishwater down the toilet while your camping to help things stay slippery and moving around. I’d be way more worried about filling the grey tank, with four people showering, washing hands, brushing teeth and doing dishes. You’ll most likely fill your gray tank in 2-3 days depending on how careful you are. Your not going to overflow your black tank in a weekend unless you people have some serious bowel movements. We’ve gone a week before we needed to dump and we weren’t shy using plenty of water to flush and the dishwater trick.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, black tank, poop, smell, toilet