Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2017, 06:46 AM   #21

When we had our pop-up and our previous hybrid, both had a 19 gal fresh water tank inside. Several times I hauled water because of where we were going. No real big deal. No place for the water to go.

However our X20E has the underbelly tank with the cheesy straps holding it up. If you are comfortable hauling hundreds of pounds of water with that setup more power to you. I know enough about engineering and basic metallurgy to know that that setup is not made to withstand bouncing down the road and still hold up 250# of water, especially as it ages and the bolts start to rust. I will never travel with more that a couple of gallons of water in the tank.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #22

We routinely tow with water in our tanks. Where we camp, it is just not possible to get water nearby. I am tempted to pull down the bottom to look at the straps holding the tanks, but have not done it yet.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:32 PM   #23

auxiliary water tank

I bought a 30 gallon water tank, on demand pump, and battery and mounted it all in a movable box that fits in the back of my truck. I can set up my pup, and drive to get water, or bring water with me. With the water in the truck, I don't have to worry about towing stability. I can connect the aux tank to the city water input, and it keeps the trailer supplied without taxing the trailer battery. I can transfer water to the on board tank if I want, but it is not necessary. I have a connector on the box that can charge the internal battery, and an adapter that can pull power off the seven prong plug if I need power from the truck. The internal battery (a lawn tractor battery on sale for $20) will transfer 30 gallons with no significant degradation in voltage. I am pretty happy with this option, and stole the design ideas from others on this forum.
pop up pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:43 AM   #24

Strap broke

We also fill our fresh water at home, then head out to one of our favorite spots in the National Forest. Last year, Labor Day weekend, we were heading up to camp, thankfully I was driving another rig with 4wheelers. About 5 miles from home I had my passenger call hubby,he was pulling the 26BHW. There were sparks flying everywhere from under the trailer. We pulled into a empty lot, the front strap of the fwater tank had 3/4 popped off. We had to dump almost all the water to be able to push the strap back up and secure it.

We called the dealer that Tuesday and it took them almost 2 weeks to call us back and say it was covered under warranty and bring it in. Our dealer did a awesome job. Originally it had 2 straps, held by 3 bolts and NO nut! And the 3 bolts just barely long enough to fit through. Our Camping World put in a 3rd strap and welded them all, 3 bolts and nuts on each strap.

Black & grey tanks are always emptied at first dump site, Camping World has free for customers.

Dispersed Camping Colville National Forest. Dirt bikes and four wheelers getting good and muddy.
Farman Blends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:55 AM   #25

Stability

We just bought our 26BH, which had it's 2-40gal fresh water tanks(700+lbs) filled prior to driving it off the lot. I've never towed before, but somehow managed to keep the trailer behind me through a ridiculous wind storm on the way home. A family member seems to think that the full, low-sitting tanks add stability to the trailer, preventing excessive sway. With them empty, I may have been attempting to fly a kite rather than tow a trailer.

Has anyone hauled full, as well as empty, and noticed a difference? I understand the need when traveling somewhere with no water hook-up, but want to do what's best when given the option. Thanks in advance, for any thoughts on the matter.

2017 Jay Flight 26BH
2014 F-150 5.0 Fx4
Kal El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal El View Post
We just bought our 26BH, which had it's 2-40gal fresh water tanks(700+lbs) filled prior to driving it off the lot. I've never towed before, but somehow managed to keep the trailer behind me through a ridiculous wind storm on the way home. A family member seems to think that the full, low-sitting tanks add stability to the trailer, preventing excessive sway. With them empty, I may have been attempting to fly a kite rather than tow a trailer.

Has anyone hauled full, as well as empty, and noticed a difference? I understand the need when traveling somewhere with no water hook-up, but want to do what's best when given the option. Thanks in advance, for any thoughts on the matter.
I haul full regularly. Tough to camp where there are no services if you don't bring your own h2o. Why have a water tank if you can't fill it up.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote