Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Camping and RV'ing > Boondocking
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #1

Trip report from boondocking at Birch Bay State Park.

Last year when we took this trip, we spent 5 days there coincident with my daughter’s volleyball camp at Western Washington University. The campsite for that trip was right next to the freshwater supply and had ample room to run our generator without disturbing the rest of the campers.

Since it is too big and heavy, I wanted to camp without the generator. I prepared beforehand by replacing all the interior lights with LEDs and replaced my two worn out 12V batteries with (2) 6V deep cycle batteries, and resign myself to lugging 6 gal of water at a time when needed.

I was pleasantly surprised by the combination of LED lights and deep cycle batteries. Not once did I worry about having too many lights on, or leaving them on too long. The battery level stayed at full charge (4 lights on the panel) until late into the second day, and only went to ˝ charge when I was putting the slideout back in to come home.

We stayed 3 nights, and since we used the campground shower, I only had to fill the water tank when we arrived, and I left the campground with half a tank of freshwater. Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
birchbay.jpg   Mt Baker.jpg   sunset Birch Bay.jpg   kayaking at Birch Bay.jpg  
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Great pics!

I agree, going to two 6V deep cycle batteries and LED lights can extend a boondocking trip.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #3

This area of the sound is a great place to camp and I live to the right of the 4th picture. I'm not far from WWU.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:59 AM   #4

Great pictures! Real "postcard" quality. What a beautiful spot to spend a long weekend!

Glad your LED light & double 6V battery mods worked well for your boon-docking adventure. I plan to do the same things as time & budget permits.

Happy Camping!
Old 07-15-2014, 10:35 AM   #5

I could have gone two more days without worries. I just would have had to hook up my truck before pulling the slide in.

I think I spent about $100 on all the lights and the cost of the batteries was comparable to (2) 12V batteries. My old batteries were 5 and 7 years old respectively and wouldn't hold a charge anymore.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #6

The only thing that place needs is ME & the Miss's with a few cold delicious bevs.... Great pics!!
Old 07-17-2014, 12:56 AM   #7

Great pics, I've camped at the state park many times. I just put 6 volt golf cart batteries on our trailer about a month ago. Haven't done the led lamps yet but plan on installing them after I install a Trimetric. For a good read check out Handy
bob's solar website. A bit repetitive but he shows how important it is to have a battery meter. I've learned a lot from it. Btw you can get cheap firewood just east
of the I-5 on Birchbay Lynden Road. The weather couldn't have been better for you.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote