Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2015, 04:11 PM   #1

Where do you fill water tank on trip?

Going on first boon docking trip soon. Downloaded the Sanidumps app for the end of the trip, but I need to know where and when ya'll fill the fresh water tanks? I noticed most dump stations list water so I'm wondering if u can fill there for a fee?
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:55 PM   #2

We only hit full hook-ups so I've no real experience to share. But I've noticed the water hose next to a dump station is many times labled " non-potable". Use caution when filling.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:07 PM   #3

I would not use the water at a dump station, those hoses are used to flush dirty hoses after folks dump....not exactly what I would want to be drinking !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:59 PM   #4

Most if not all of the dump stations I've come across have a separate fresh water fill spigot, some distance from the dump area. Still a good idea to spray the spigot with bleach solution before hooking up the FW hose, just in case some yahoo with dirty hands handled it before you got there.

Enjoy the boondocking trip. Where ya going?
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:24 PM   #5

Nothing wrong with filling up at home before heading out, my 5vr had an 80 gallon fresh water tank and there was no adverse handling with the tank full. In fact if we were traveling in freezing weather rather than draining the tank I kept it full. An other thought is if the dry camp is more than a day away stay with full hook ups the night before boon docking dump grey and black tanks and top off fresh water just before pulling chocks. Enjoy your camping
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #6

How long are you going to be out? If we are concerned about fresh water we will bring a couple of 5 gal jugs just in case.

Deb, Dan & Missy (mixed breed rescue dog)
2015 Eagle Touring 28.5RKDS
1995 Ford Diesel
LoveCamping58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old skipper View Post
Nothing wrong with filling up at home before heading out, my 5vr had an 80 gallon fresh water tank and there was no adverse handling with the tank full. In fact if we were traveling in freezing weather rather than draining the tank I kept it full. An other thought is if the dry camp is more than a day away stay with full hook ups the night before boon docking dump grey and black tanks and top off fresh water just before pulling chocks. Enjoy your camping
This is an option, but you are hauling a lot of extra weight. If you can get it where you are going, that is a better option.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #8

I think all Cabela's have fresh water filling areas.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:19 PM   #9

Thanks folks, the tank on the 24FBS is 30 or 38 gallons, cant remember for sure right now so worse case that's about 325 pounds. I think i'll fill before we leave at least the first time we go then see the deal at the dump station. Smoker were only going about 80 miles to the Tullulla River in Rabun county Ga. Its a beautiful place we have camped in tents there for years and they do have water and two chemical toilets. We can always get water there and top off the tank as needed with our 5 gallon Gerry can. National Forest Service camp sites on Forest Service road that dead ends in Nantahalla Wilderness Area in North Carolina. Absolute must if you love trout fishing and live in the region.
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #10

We used to haul a full (20 gals) FW tank. When we upgraded, 48 was too much to haul 200+ miles. We arranged for freshwater within 1/2 mile of the campsite.

I bought two 6 gallon cans and a 120V transfer pump. Have to run the genset to move the water.

But at least it isn't sloshing when going over the hills.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:20 PM   #11

Just got back from a 5 day trip to East Fork Rock Creek Campground in the Sierra Nevada Mountains here in California. We were there last year and had a spot across the road and had to fill our 27 gallon tank before backing into our spot. When we signed up in January we were lucky enough to get the spot across the road that had the spigot. So with our water hoses carried in the trailer we were able to fill it up whenever we wanted. I might carry a couple of 5 gallon jugs on future boondocking trips just in case, though.
jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote