Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2016, 02:33 PM   #21

The Zamp panels are indeed pricey, but as the solar connection on our (2016 23MRB TT) says to use Zamp, we decided to err on the side of caution and go with that. We ordered the 160 watt, as that's what the Zamp site recommends for the battery we have. We liked the features: carry bag, legs, easy-to-see info panel, and, of course, state-of-the-art solar tech.

The unit we ordered has shipped, but we don't have it yet. We look forward to a) it taking up less room to pack, b) not having to open the battery case and alligator-clip the solar directly to the battery, and c) not having to find things to prop the panel up on. We're fairly handy, but not with electrical stuff, so ....

We'll see how it works on our first trip with it, scheduled for the end of this month. We too like shady spaces, but these are supposed to work even in filtered light - even in moonlight!
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-n-Ash View Post
The Zamp panels are indeed pricey, but as the solar connection on our (2016 23MRB TT) says to use Zamp, we decided to err on the side of caution and go with that. We ordered the 160 watt, as that's what the Zamp site recommends for the battery we have. We liked the features: carry bag, legs, easy-to-see info panel, and, of course, state-of-the-art solar tech.

The unit we ordered has shipped, but we don't have it yet. We look forward to a) it taking up less room to pack, b) not having to open the battery case and alligator-clip the solar directly to the battery, and c) not having to find things to prop the panel up on. We're fairly handy, but not with electrical stuff, so ....

We'll see how it works on our first trip with it, scheduled for the end of this month. We too like shady spaces, but these are supposed to work even in filtered light - even in moonlight!
How did the 160 watt Zamp setup work out for you?
sfarw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #23

Even though they are pricey, we got the zamp, and it works great. We haven't camped yet this year, but last year when we used it, the solar panel was good for all the lights, which is what we needed. No worries about the battery getting low enough to bother the DW.
We have used this panel in overcast/rain and it still works fine. Can't say about moonlight, though.

It is pretty heavy, and the case closes on its own, and bites if you're not careful. But it fits in the outdoor kitchen storage area, and works well - we especially like the little stand so we don't have to prop it with lantern cases or anything. :-) Glad we got it.
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:15 PM   #24

I'm also looking to purchase a Zamp Solar 200P Portable Charge Kit for my White Hawk 28DSBH.
I'm sure the solar prep has its limitations but I feel confident it will be more than sufficient for my moderate needs. Of course Im a complete newbie with this stuff. I have no experience with solar. I'm learning... slowly.

I've been surfing around online and various forums about what batteries to use but I'm still undecided. Zamp's website recommends for "best" results to use 2 Group 27 batteries for that particular kit.

Any battery recommendations?

kevinrbellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:21 AM   #25

You will have to give more details on your expected usage for us to give you good advice.

Will you be boondocking for days? Treed campsites or open desert?
Running lights, fans, charging computers, watching TV, residential refridgerator any other draws?

I usually recommend dual 6v batteries for better usable capacity and longer life. You will be hard pressed to find a true deep cycle battery in a group 27. They are usually marine or RV batteries.

Cheers
Old 01-24-2017, 10:11 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-n-Ash View Post
We too like shady spaces, but these are supposed to work even in filtered light - even in moonlight!
They do work in shade, BUT at a much reduced output. They may be rated at about 6IMP (Amps) each ,but in the shade may only put out about 1 or less amps. And yes they do even produce output in a full bright moon, mine was about .01 Amps

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
They do work in shade, BUT at a much reduced output. They may be rated at about 6IMP (Amps) each ,but in the shade may only put out about 1 or less amps. And yes they do even produce output in a full bright moon, mine was about .01 Amps

Don
And to add to this, it doesn't take much shade to knock the output down to 1 amp. I had my two Renogy panels in parallel, in full sun, cranking out amps with my kids watching the monitor. Just holding my hand over a portion of the panel cripples the output. There are plenty of youtube videos that show this.

You can get power in the shade, but expect less than 20%.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:24 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
You will have to give more details on your expected usage for us to give you good advice.

Will you be boondocking for days? Treed campsites or open desert?
Running lights, fans, charging computers, watching TV, residential refridgerator any other draws?

I usually recommend dual 6v batteries for better usable capacity and longer life. You will be hard pressed to find a true deep cycle battery in a group 27. They are usually marine or RV batteries.

Cheers
One of my first threads detailing how I want to live

If you dont wanna read all of that I guess the gist would be I'm a total minimalist. My trailer will be parked on a slight hill/private property. Sunlight shouldnt be a huge issue. I own a iPhone and Kindle. No gaming consoles but I have tons of books. I don't own a TV but I do want one eventually because I have a butt load of Blurays. I have no intention on using a microwave, toaster, air compressor, coffee machine etc. I'm looking for just enough juice to charge a few devices.

Truth be told, it would prob make ideal for me to live in a shack.
kevinrbellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:51 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrbellamy View Post
One of my first threads detailing how I want to live

If you dont wanna read all of that I guess the gist would be I'm a total minimalist. My trailer will be parked on a slight hill/private property. Sunlight shouldnt be a huge issue. I own a iPhone and Kindle. No gaming consoles but I have tons of books. I don't own a TV but I do want one eventually because I have a butt load of Blurays. I have no intention on using a microwave, toaster, air compressor, coffee machine etc. I'm looking for just enough juice to charge a few devices.

Truth be told, it would prob make ideal for me to live in a shack.
This calculator may be a good place to start.
https://www.renogy.com/calculators#solar-size

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:29 AM   #30

Hey guys just purchased a new 2017 jay flight 26bh and had some questions about the solar connector on the tarailer frame. At this point not looking to do any off grid camping but just want something small to plug in and keep my single battery charged and safely maintained at the storage site. It looks like Jayco changed their choice of solar companies to go power since I found a spec sheet in my manual bag. Their kits are very pricey. Im Probably gonna go with something on Amazon to keep costs low and if stollen by any chance I won't mind too much. The connector on my jay appears to be a sae connector which most solar providers have now a days for an extra few bucks.
My question is this. If I plug into this prewired solar jack with my battery connected it will just charge and maintain the battery correct? Sorry it's a stupid question but just wanting to make sure vs. going to the battery direct with alligator clamps? I guess it's just personal preference? Can anyone suggest a kit they are using for this purpose. my battery is a marine master dp24 if this helps. I would like to connect the panel to some type of controller to avoid overcharging or other issues.
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:10 PM   #31

Yes. The solar plug in the utility bay or on the frame is n SAE and most companies use it. You do not need to go with GoPwer. I went with Samp. For your purposes and 80 watt should do fine.
Fishermanbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #32

I do a fair amount of dry camping. My plan for my new hummingbird 17RB was a pair of 225ah 6v Trojans and a solar setup. After some measuring looks like it will take a lot of fab work to fit those so going to try to start with a single G31 105ah AGM with the zamp 160 solar kit.

I got a TT to have some comfort so I plan to use the water pump as needed only. Watch the 12v tv and DVD and use a few led lights as needed. The radio and charge the iPhone once a night. I will see how the single works out. If it's an issue then out comes the welder and will double them up for twice the AH.
Promod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #33

Eagle solar hook ups

My 16 Eagle 321 RSTS came with roof mount by Go Power.Designed for 300 watts in solar panels according to Go Power.And an additional 20 amp plug in by the fresh water fill panel.We added one 275 watt 60 cell panel and a 30 amp MPPT controller.None of it GO Power pricing seemed over the top.Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Go Power Roof Plug.jpg   20 amp plug..jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:02 AM   #34

I pieced my system together 1 275 watt panel 60 cell industrial unit.One Blue Sky 30 amp MPPT controller.Some cable and one amphenol helio H4 15 amp inline fuse.Maybe spent 800.00 Had system a year love it.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #35

My 16 Eagle Go Power told me 300 watts max on top. And the 20 amp port is that good for a 100 watt panel?Thanks
Old 09-11-2017, 11:11 AM   #36

On my 16 Eagle we used an H4 15 amp in line fuse.Blue Sky would not warrant the controller without one. Thanks
Old 12-03-2017, 03:02 PM   #37

I have a Go Power Solar ready port on my 2017 Jayco Eagle. I have both Solar on the side and it has a port on the roof for Solar ready. The way I understand it is that Zamp is reverse polarity. So if you use anything other than Zamp you have to get an adapter.
missileer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:00 AM   #38

Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by missileer View Post
I have a Go Power Solar ready port on my 2017 Jayco Eagle. I have both Solar on the side and it has a port on the roof for Solar ready. The way I understand it is that Zamp is reverse polarity. So if you use anything other than Zamp you have to get an adapter.
Question we have a 16 Eagle 321 and have a 300 watt 60 cell panel up top. And a 30 amp/MPPT controller.We are not sure the max size panel for the side port ours hook up is by water control panel? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
LP 3-17 (2).jpg  
Old 12-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #39

I'm brand new to this but I just got a Jayco Baja that says it's pre wired for solar I ordered a 100watt panel and charge controller any advice on installing would be much appreciated.
Iamjared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:02 AM   #40

solar

We piece are system together almost two years ago and love it!Check out mppt controllers, its like comparing matches to light bulbs.Lots of good info on u-tube! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Cactus 011.jpg