Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Camping and RV'ing > Work Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #1

Campground hosts; Shenandoah National Park

The wife and I were campground hosts at Big Meadows Campground (Shenandoah National Park in Virginia) this past July & August. Being a CG host at a National Park is more like a job than a working vacation but we knew that before we accepted. Most people would be surprised at some of the things that happen at National Pk CG's but hosting has it's high points if you go into it with the right mindset.
Attached are a few pictures, i.e. our trailer, truck on a clear and foggy day (in overflow parking due to room at site), etc. The pictures aren't great but hope you enjoy....
Attached Thumbnails
Our trailer ih hosts site - Aug 2010.jpg   Foggy day at BMCG- Aug 2010.jpg   Small buck standing near my truck.jpg   Timber Rattle Snake BMCG Aug 2010 .jpg  
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #2

Awesome pics Pete! One day Don and I will also try a stint as cg host.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #3

So as campground host do you basically manage the campground for the time you are there?
2012 f250 diesel

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #4

Great Pictures. Thats a good one of the snake, Thank god i didn't see that snake when I camped there in 2007.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #5

Here are a few more shots in and round the Shenandoah National Park.
Attached Thumbnails
Our camp site BMCG Jul - Aug 2010 012.jpg   Another foggy day.jpg   Pete & Buddy, his faithful compaion BMCG Aug 2010 .jpg   Skyline Dr south of Big Meadows Jul - Aug 2010 .jpg   Fireroad (shsortcut down mountain) to Stanley, VA & groceries Aug 2010.jpg  

Old 10-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
So as campground host do you basically manage the campground for the time you are there?
More or less; in the Shenandoah the hosts make sure things run smoothly and if necessary call law enforcement when someone, or group, gets out of hand (this is rare). The rangers take care of checking campers into the CG and assigning them a site along with some of the things we, the hosts, do. Hope that answers your question to some degree?
Old 10-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Camping View Post
Great Pictures. That's a good one of the snake, Thank god i didn't see that snake when I camped there in 2007.
It's rare to seem them, especially during the day. When you do every camper within a half mile comes running to get a close up look, and then you have to keep them at a safe distance. It's surprising how close some people will get to a venomous snake even when they know what can happen. Deer are the most common animals you'll see along with "striped kitty cats" (skunk) at night. On occasion you'll see a black bear and if you're tenting and leave food in the tent you may [come home] to find an unwelcome visitor, we had it happen twice in the two months I was there... no one injured fortunately. One bear had to be relocated to another part of the park as he made a nuisance of himself.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #8

That is Awesome and Big Meadows is a great place!
2012 f250 diesel

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:54 PM   #9

End of the thread....

Thanks Mustang, we think it's a great place too.

Here's hoping some of you enjoyed the few pictures posted. Below is a shot of a "mom" and her fawns along with a fitting end to this thread.... a campfire for family and friends to gather around and share the memories of the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Fawns in BMCG Jul - Aug 2010 032.jpg   Our campfire - BMCG Aug 2010.jpg  
Old 10-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #10

Thanks for sharing Pete. The last time I saw a rattle snake was out in California Jack Rabbit hunting. It made a nice hat band.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #11

That sounds , and looks like fun , we talk about being hosts when I retire , but I still have a few years to go (12) and counting
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
That sounds , and looks like fun , we talk about being hosts when I retire , but I still have a few years to go (12) and counting
It can be fun if you don't pick a campground that's known for having a lot of trouble and unfortunately there are a few but thank goodness there's only a few. As a matter of fact now is the time to take notice of CG's you stay at (state, federal & some private) to see if it's one you'd like to work in.

As for the 12 years you've got left before retirement.... that time will pass faster than you think -- "voice of experience talking".
Old 10-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #13

God I hope your right on it going fast
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #14

Some of the pics remind me of my DW's beloved Maryland - the Catoctins, the panhandle. I'd like to spend a summer back there camping, even hosting, for her. But our winters are long, and hard on our fences and buildings. Summers are so short - it snowed yesterday. We really need to be here when we can work. Guess we'll have to turn into snowbirds.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote